Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: julia ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 04:19PM

It has been several years since visited or posted on this site, and I began to believe I really had 'recovered'.

I started reading threads again a couple of weeks ago without consciously thinking about it. As I self-analyzed my reason for the recent return and voracious reading...it corresponds directly with purchasing a plane ticket back to SLC for a nieces Temple wedding.

I know many of you have been there, standing outside to support a loved one, watching the other under-age members, waiting...and having that feeling of needing to justify that you are 'Worthy".

I am the only ex-mo of a many generations pioneer stock family. When I speak to my parents, I am always the one being 'generous, thoughtful, caring, supportive (usually very supportive financially) unlike my TBM Brothers and Sisters...and yet I will be the 'Unworthy' one on that day.

I would like to scream that when it comes to anything other than the ridiculous cult, I am more than worthy. But they are so sucked in...you cant even have the conversation or debate.

Sorry...just needed to vent...it's amazing that a ticket to SLC International can deteriorate years of progress...and I am grateful to so many on this board who helped me on my way out!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 05:03PM

Welcome back, julia...

I am sorry for the personally hurtful circumstances, but happy that RfM is here for you to vent.

I hope that your niece's wedding day is as pleasant as it can be for you...and that it reaffirms for you the healthy choice you made...

This is an occasion when the term "unworthy" is a well-earned award of honor.

Wear it with pride. :)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 05:14PM

I know exactly how that feels. We send money and one of my brothers spends time with the parents. This is the brother who refuses my wish not to preach to me and my parents disregard this request as well.

But I'm the bad one.

Posted by: Devo ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 05:22PM

How much of our lives did we give? How much will we get back? Truth is, we were all guilty to some extent, of willful ignorance. We might have suspected, we might have even known that this was bullshit. But we went along with it because it was easier than leaving. At some point we could not do it any more. So at least we got out and can live with self respect for the rest of our lives.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 07:07PM

You get to keep 10% of your income and have a good excuse to miss that dreadful sealing ceremony. Sounds like a win-win.

If your temple-attending relatives have any sense of empathy, they may well feel more uncomfortable than you do. They have to know church policy is divisive and unnecessary.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 07:12PM

Personally, I think it's one of the worst things the church does and it stings.

Especially when you know they don't have any idea how badly they are behaving -- exactly the opposite of anything that resembles Christ's teachings. And they they've got their smug superiority to keep them warm at night.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 07:29PM

Go to the Lion House and mess with the hermana's heads.
"How many of Brigham's 55 wives lived here?"
"How many of the 56 children?"
"What do you mean 'We don't teach that anymore", it's right there in the Doctrines & Covenants"!

Then have a revelation of some kind, like how you have to be posthumously sealed to BY, and ask them if they would do the Temple work for you.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 07:34PM

I like this! Snort!!!

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 07:51PM

Every time I fly into SLC, I have a beer at an airport bar. A nice Utah-brewed one, preferably with a mocking name like "Latter-Day Stout," "Provo Girl Pilsner" or "Polygamy Porter." We are winning. Ridicule is the finest form of revenge. It won't be too many years until Mormonism will be a universal joke. It already has great purchase as satire.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: April 28, 2014 07:55PM

This is a really fun idea. Also, it will give you something you can do with the kiddos. Looking back, the first red flag for me was when I was five. My aunt and uncle had a reception at the Lion House. My other aunt showed me a picture of BY andtold me of all his wives and kids. It really upset me and I kept saying how wrong it was and obsessed for awhile after that. So, you could gently introduce this to the kids and get them thinking.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.