Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 12:40PM

Can they really not know the church is a scam? That hardly seems possible.

Or do they no longer believe in God or an afterlife?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 12:43PM

You have to wonder about that, when people claim to be religious but do bad things.

I suspect that they are either enjoying a lot of weath and power without believeing we get a new existance. Or, justify what they do as necessary and at God's command.

So either a fraud or self-delusional.......not good choices for most of us.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 12:47PM

Their calling and election had been made sure. That is why.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 04:18PM

Yes. They are no longer about truth, they are about defending the CULT at all costs.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 02:05PM

Actually, they have to be atheists. I left the church when I realized that I could no longer live a lie. Of course, in my case I supported the church rather than the other way around.

If there is a god (which I'm honestly not sure), I would think that knowingly leading others with lies would be one of the greater "sins" resulting in very harsh punishment. Personally, I would be fearful of doing so. I feel bad enough about those that I unknowingly lied to during my mission. I hope that those who lied to me will be more accountable since, at the time, I didn't know the truth.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 02:52PM

Because god isn't real and they know it.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 02:56PM

I think they don't believe in God. They do believe in getting all the money they an squeeze out of people.

Any leader that knows about the BoA has to be living a lie.

Posted by: offradar ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 02:59PM

As He never gets round to talking within any of them, they've probably come to the conclusion he just doesn't exist.
And the money and fame are such great substitutes.
Party on!

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 03:03PM

Perhaps the reason Gordo hinckley was has having experimental cancer treatment at age 97 after his wife had died.

For a guy that allegedly had regular meetings with Jesus, he acted as though he was scared shitless (or perhaps that was the colon cancer) of dying.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 03:12PM

They think that God is powerless, because they've never seen any evidence of his power. In their minds, he's become sort of a 13th apostle, another nonentity who has to go along with whatever the quorum decides.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 03:15PM

They probably think that he is filling their heads with inspiration on a minute by minute basis, but yea, they are bummed that they haven't been able to go to a Jazz game with Jesus in the super suite...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 03:15PM

Their fear of dying is off the charts.

My uncle was a SP. He died a year before my dad died. My uncle hung on for YEARS in a nursing home. His daughter told me after he died that he was scared shitless to die.

My dad was not. He wondered what was going to happen, but he wasn't what I'd call afraid. He was a so-so mormon. He didn't attend a lot. Didn't hold high callings. Drank alcohol and coffee, chewed tobacco, and yet wasn't afraid. Neither my mom or dad fought death. I've never seen two people who died in such peaceful ways. No bedside vigil, etc. They both just left within two months of each other.

If they really believed it, they'd be running for the exit. Instead, they keep hanging on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2014 03:16PM by cl2.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 06:03PM

I agree completely. My guess is they are terrified of death.

I look at it this way....those that have the surest knowledge about what death is like are in for the biggest surprize.

My father was a die hard TBM. When he was younger and healthy, he would say he was ready to meet god and jesus, see dead relatives, etc. As he neared death, he was terrified. You could see it in his eyes and feel it in his energy. He fought it until it just took him.

My mother was a NOM basically by the end of her life. She died peacefully at home of cancer, only lasting a couple months. No fear of death, just peace.

Also, my moms best TBM friend died of cancer. Rabid TMB, terrified of death to the point of paying a quack Dr. $5000 a visit, to have him sit across the room with a box he "invented" that he claimed cured cancer. It was so successful, he had to keep it secret from the medical community because they rejected it out of fear. She died a long agonizing death.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 12:02AM

legalism is the belief that you MUST conform to certain standards, and fulfill certain obligations, in order to be saved. Thus, one always wonders if one has measured up; it is easy to think, "No, I didn't do a good enough job. Damn!"

As a Christian, I subscribe to the doctrine of Grace: That it is God's love and forgiveness, combined with my faith, that saves me. And I know that it is infinitely more the former (God's love, Christ's atonement) than my imperfect faith, that does the job.

All religions are prone to a salvation-by-works and/or legalism. This underscores Christ's criticism of the Pharisees, who were experts at "keeping the law."

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 03:32PM

My FIL, a catholic and former alter boy, is just like that. He is clearly afraid to die. He did some things in his earlier life which may be cause for concern. He has had operation after operation, takes about a dozen different pills and lives on in pain at 88 years of age. To my knowledge, he has never read anything about the afterlife (including the bible) and has never discussed the subject with anyone. He always avoids the subject and refuses to even discuss his funeral or final resting place.

How truly pathetic.

Posted by: OregonBoy ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 04:16PM

When was the last time a prophet actually said he was a prophet of God..seer, revelator?
The 15 are cowards and they sit there spineless. They know God is NOT pleased with them..They will never publically state they are Gods chosen...because they are indeed afraid.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 04:48PM

Do you think that maybe they do know and are afraid to say anything? There might be some kind of honor to protect the lie.
There are a lot of people who built a life out of this. To suddenly dismiss it all would be catastrophic in so many ways.
To think the Government might have to bail out a church. On the other hand they might all be cowards. GBH I think knew, he didn't proclaim to be a prophet when he had the chance to.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 05:01PM

Those people pledged their lives. They have to keep in line or else.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 05:31PM

I think they are, deep down. They just can't afford to face it.

If you take the position that every soul is priceless, the LDS model falls apart. Why would you want to even enter the CK until every soul was redeemed, if that were the case. And why would you want to rule and reign like some kind of egomaniac?

I found that God was so much bigger and better than the puny Mormon God that their doctrine became nonsense. Maybe the GAs are like the sheriff in the famous Bugs Bunny cartoon "Rabbit Hood". Bugs sells a plot of land to the sheriff, who is busily framing a house when he realizes he's been duped. Then he hits himself in the head with his hammer while saying "I hate myself! I do! (wham) I do (wham)".

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 05:32PM

It's just about power and $$'s in the now. NOTHING ELSE.

Ron Burr

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 05:35PM

I honestly believe there are some who are atheist.

as they are (almost) all from long church backgrounds, they dont have the cultural conditioning that would make (for example) an Anglican or catholic fear hell.

and I cant believe they actually believe in Mormonism

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 12:27AM

They know they'll be kissing a goat's ass in Hell.

Posted by: Carl Pagan ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 06:52AM

I've mentioned this before, but I'm strongly of the view that most Christian cult leaders and clergy are really atheists. They are generally people who have actually read much of the Bible and therefore understand what a pile of BS it is:

http://www.alternet.org/story/155798/major_threat_to_religion_clergy_people_coming_out_as_atheists

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 07:07AM

They are totally brainwashed and believe the lie. Hence they believe that by their having the second anointing they are going on high to the top tier in the CK. It's a done deal no matter what.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 08:22AM

There was an area seventy who left the church last year and he had no idea the church wasn't true at the time.

I think most of them believe. How exactly do you call someone as a GA and then tell them the church isn't true but ask them to go along with it. That would never work, even with the money involved. Out of the HUNDREDS of GAs, you don't think at least ONE would have had a problem with it? I'm pretty sure most of them believe, and the ones that don't just keep it to themselves and go along with it (just like a lot of us did in the years before we left).

Posted by: Ishmael ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 08:29AM

They have been annointed to be gods at the moment of their deaths. They don't have to meet god (as if there were one to meet). They will be busy being gods in the celestial stockyard with their billions of wives. They are just changing saddles.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 01:21PM

I've read a few times where Gordon Hinckley was terrified of dying. Highly irrational for a true prophet of God to feel that way, if you ask me.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 02:48PM

Because they know LD$ inc is a good place to raise children.

To quote the BOM play, "god loves Mormons and he wants some more."

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 04:20PM

Each one of them must feel unworthy because they know they aren't talking to jezuz. Its who can put up the biggest front, such small miserable scum buckets they are.

Posted by: Raging ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 05:39PM

I wonder this often. Aren't they even a little scared there might be a god who actually cares about honesty, theft and so forth? But then again, there are murderers who go to their executions believing God is and will be happy with them. Somehow the human mind is awesome at justifying actions we want to take, whether or not we know they are wrong.

I don't believe anyone takes a new GA aside and tells them the whole thing is a lie. Just being so close to those that make the decisions to lie about this or try to hide that should give one more pause as they move up the chain. The 15 absolutely have to know because they are the ones making those decisions and they would have to know the issues to do so. Some may not have acknowledged to themselves that the whole thing is a lie, but they certainly have to have noticed the Mormon God requires a lot of lying.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 09:47PM

well if they are participating in a fraudulent career of fooling a couple of million people about Jesus and God and all the rest, why would they feel bad about it? How do you even know that some of them believe in God?

You were gullibe as a mormon, you no longer believe so quit being so gullible about the rest of life.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 11:05PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 11:06PM

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: July 04, 2014 12:04AM

I was going to answer: "Because it all will be sorted out in the hereafter."

But "Anybody" one-upped me with their answer.

The GA's, themselves, will be the Gods doing the "sorting out!" Right alongside Joseph Smith.

IMO, they are all delusional sociopaths.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.