Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 03:33PM

My husband put his letter in the mail to SLC on a Monday and by Sunday, the bishop and Stk pres. had given their obligatory visits. The following Tuesday, that's one week and one day, he received his "Please come back" packet.

I emailed my resignation on last Thursday evening, March 3rd, and today, March 8, Stk. Pres calls me informing me I need to sign a paper. I would have done it today, but we are all sick with the flu. I will sign soon and watch my mail for the packet.

Our family has an interesting exit story that has yet to be written. My husbands family were one of the founding families of our town and are highly known and respected (for the most part) and our decision to stop going to church rocked a lot of individuals' foundations. I think the local leaders just want to sweep us under the rug and pull a big heavy sofa over top of said rug.

Anyone else experience rapid releases?(That sounds funny, but I don't mean it that way. Maybe another thread for that one.) Are record removals slowing up generally and SLC HQ is able to act quickly on requests? Or have they increased the number of employees/Sr. Missionaries in Dodge's office to accommodate the influx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 03:44PM

Mine took 71 days. I got the come back letter in about a week. Never saw a bishop or SP. I emailed my resignation letter on Sep 26, and I got my final letter on Dec 6. Nowhere near a record.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 03:46PM

DW and I mailed the letter on Nov 14, 2010 and our individual Greg Dodge letters were dated Nov 18,2010 and IIRC they came in on the 19th or 20th. We never did get a come back pamphlet. We never heard from the SP other than a return reciept from the post office. We handed the BPs copy of the letter to him in person and emphasized that any delaying tactics on his part would be an unwelcome waste of time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2011 03:47PM by luckychucky.

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 03:53PM

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 03:58PM

Almost exactly two months, December 6 to February 3. Don't know if the Smithmas holidays slowed it down. Got the original Dodge letter and four-color glossy brochure within a week; form letter from locals in about two weeks. No visits, no phone calls (that I know of; I don't answer the phone if I don't know who it is), no love bombing.

I sent Dodge two nagging emails in January; probably didn't speed anything up, but made me feel better.

Posted by: James ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 05:17PM

January 25, 2011: Sent in e-mail;
January 28, 2011: Received "please come back" brochure and confirmation letter of e-mail request from Messr. Dodge;
February 19, 2011: Letter from Stake President informing me that name had been removed.

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 09:41PM

Letter from Stake President? It should have come from Dodge....

Mine took 30 days. I was even able to call and confirm I didn't exist in their active records.

Posted by: UTGTN ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 06:22PM

Date: March 08, 2011 08:29PM

Do you really mean that? If that's the case I think I'll send in individual resignations for:

my husband's mission pres (Panama/Costa Rica) for sending him to a closed area of Costa Rica, for refusing to spy on his companion's masturbating habits, invaded by the Nicaraguain Guerillas during ole Noriega's rule and the Iran-Contra crap, resulting in PTSD, nightmares and migraine for 25 yrs. Yep, his name is first on the list.

Next would be our old bishop who railed on our daughter for two hours at girls camp when she expressed during the precious campfire testiphony meeting that you don't have to go to church to be happy. He and two other women went on to tell her she's not happy, she has a devil in her, she should go off of her devil antidepressant medication, oh and her parents were off their rockers for not going to church. LOVELY!

Along those same lines would be the YW Pres, who was one of the above ladies, for sitting in the Bp. office that following Sunday, when we confronted the guy, and lied with the bishop in saying what our daughter said didn't happen. Even though the ward in the upper level of the cabin listened to the entire debacle.

I'd throw in our old Stk Pres for most likely telling the Bp to 'lie for the lord' and 'cut off the hand that offends thee' in the whole girls camp incident. However, even if he didn't say that, the guy was our Bp. years earlier and had said, 'the world thinks we are living in a fantasy, but its really them who are living in a fantasy and we in the real world'

Oh, dear me, I might be harboring a bit of resentment. Oh well. If you truly don't have to sign anything when you send in an email resignation, then things are going to get real interesting. All I included was my full name and birthdate and the ward sac/mtg program prints all the birthdays every month. HE HE HE.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 08:32PM

I think you should actually send those letters in and cause some major grief.

"Do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?"

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 10:27AM

fearguiltpromise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you really mean that? If that's the case I
> think I'll send in individual resignations for:
>
> my husband's mission pres (Panama/Costa Rica) ...[snip]...

Much as you would like to do that, it would only have the result of making it more difficult for others to resign, because Bro. Dodge would have to tighten security, and require notarizations, personal appearances before a bishop, etc.

DON'T MESS WITH THIS EASIER PROCESS!!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 07:10PM

Definitely not me. I fought for about 5 months to get out. I basically had to turn into a nag, until they were probably just happy to be rid of me. LOL

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 07:32PM

Be sure and drop around when you are ready and post your story! If your family is from small-town Mordor and your legacy is as extensive in the town as you describe, you are indeed a rare breed and your story will be even more fascinating.

I'm especially interested in the part about tarring and feathering.

Date: March 08, 2011 08:35PM

We didn't get tarred and feathered but my husband did go postal on the mishy's back in December. I will be posting our story eventually once its over. We are still investigating the possibility of a lawsuit against the church for several incidences.

Thank you for your interest in our story, rodolfo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2011 08:37PM by fearguiltpromise.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 08:41PM

fearguiltpromise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We didn't get tarred and feathered but my husband did go postal on the mishy's back in December. I will be posting our story eventually once its over. We are still investigating the possibility of a lawsuit against the church for several incidences.
>
> Thank you for your interest in our story, rodolfo.

There's a good story here, I'm gathering. A lawsuit as well?

You realize that when you write down your tale, you have to tell it well!

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 08:41PM

I personally handed my letter to one of the apostles during a meeting I had with him on a Wednesday morning, and received a confirmation letter, dated the same day Wednesday, from Dodge in the mail the following day. No come back, no do you understand what you are doing. My letter said, "Per your request, your name has been removed from the records of the Church".

The thing that amazed me most was the one day delivery from the US Postal Service.

I think they were relieved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2011 08:42PM by SLDrone.

Date: March 08, 2011 09:05PM

We have a winner!!! Is your exit story on RfM? I'd love to read it.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 10:37PM

I hand delivered my letter to the bish in my town in 2003. I thought that handled the matter. Seven years later I discovered this site and read about the response letter which I never received. Turns out the bish filed my letter away and forgot about it. I was considering my options when I received a letter from the new bish saying he had discovered my old letter and was sending it in unless I had any objections. Seven years and two months later I received my letter confirming I was no longer a member.

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 11:45PM

Sent my letter 10th August 2009 after 30 years of apostacy/inactivity. I have heard nothing.

As I still live in the same area as my TBM (estranged) mother I think some local idiot feels it is being kind to a sweet little old lady to keep her evil daughter shackled to the twoo church.As I couldn't give a flying F.... about the organization, & it doesn't impact on my never-Mo spouse & adult kids it amuses me to see how long they will take.

I sent the letter to Dodge in SLC so I'm sure the blockage is at local level.

Got a long way to go to get to 7 years though!

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 01:15AM

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 05:20AM

Mine took about two months. I hand-delivered my letter to the bishop, but since my records were in another stake, they had to be transferred before anything could get moving. No idea how long this usually takes, but if others' experience in Sunday School was any indication, it can take quite some time (a couple months easy).

I resigned on March 28, 2010. His letter was dated April 18 (postmarked the 28th, Certified Mail lololo), and the Dodge letter May 24 (postmarked 25th). Total time: 57 days, plus delivery time - probably exactly 60 days.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 09:26AM

My final confirmation came in 6 weeks - and that was considered some kind of record 5 years ago! (I was threatening all kinds of legal/media action because they were harassing my kids, so they put me on the fast track to outer darkness). heh.

Email has certainly streamlined everything.

;o)

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 12:12PM

Not me. Mine took 8 months.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 03:03PM

6 to 8 weeks at most to get the letter from SLC back. I never saw Bishop or SP. The bishop called, but that was just to say he did. Never went to church in the area I lived at time so he didn't know me or didn't feel the need to save his "brother".

Posted by: Gullibles Travels ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 04:18PM

but my dh got his w/out even sending in a letter.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 01:09AM

Resigning LDS Inc took less paperwork than the cashews too.

For the record, 60 days. They apologized and said they were short handed because of summer vacations. I resigned on the 4th of July (OK, no mail delivery that day - the 5th of July was best I could do)

Posted by: churchlady ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 10:52AM

Mine was quick,the visit, "the 30 days to change your mind letter"and then the final letter. I'm a woman who never went through the temple though, Do they make it harder for prieshood holders and temple goer's?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.