Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 12:24AM

Or, if you love your current city/country/state, do share. This Queen is ready for change. I'm in the Bay Area and as much as I love the culture and landscape, the cost of living is stifling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vanessabutterfly ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 12:26AM

I want to live in Hawaii. I was so happy there, at least in '96. The natural beauty was absolutely stunning: ocean, not cornfield.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 12:33AM

Italy. Beautiful and so much history

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 12:35AM

The bay area is hard to beat. I live frugally in a town near Sacramento, and I love most of the weather, but we do get aggressive heat in the summer. If you're going to look for a less expensive place to live, you will sacrifice the mild climate. You will be hotter or colder or both. You'll make cultural sacrifices as well. So air conditioning and Netflix replace the Museum and the beach, if you get my drift.

Posted by: Tiny Tears ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 12:36AM

In a place without fear, hate or greed.

Posted by: Carl Pagan ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 05:43AM

Tiny Tears Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In a place without fear, hate or greed.

The moon perhaps? Well, I guess there'd still be quite a lot of fear...

Posted by: Tiny Tears ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 09:16AM

Preferably a place with more atmosphere and gravity.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 09:48AM

You'd also have to deal with moonfolk who dress like quakers

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 12:42AM

I love living right here on my farm....but a few weeks in Maui or Kauai every winter would be nice too.

Ron Burr

Posted by: grunzeug ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 12:43AM

I wish I lived in the US. I admit it was part of the reason why I felt like converting to Mormonism even without "feeling" anything about the BoM. Everything seemed so North-American about the church and the missionaries, and I nourished a dream of moving to the US and having a traditional, religious family somehow. I'm from Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:01PM

I've often wondered how many people join mormonism thinking it will be a ticket into the U.S.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 12:43AM

Orange County or San Diego

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 12:47AM

Vancouver Island. But only if I could bring all my friends/family with me.

Posted by: Joseph Smith ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 12:54AM

Nauvoo. I love that place.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 09:37AM

Carthage is better than Nauvoo, even has a modern hospital and NO LDS temple.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 09:40AM

I love where I live. The summers are mild with few very hot days. The winters have little snow. We have plenty of rain and everything is green. Not too many people are LDS.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 01:06AM

PNW! Check on that!

mtns, lots of hiking/biking/water all around (sailing, kayaks, etc), funky politicians (Seattle mayor is gay).
Two nearby nudist parks, a couple of nude bike-rides every summer!

'excellent (?) symphony, lots of performing arts, venues that attract top names/groups.

no extremes in temp (again, compared to IMW)

'minimal' morg influence, at least compared to IMW.

Date: July 18, 2014 01:07AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2014 02:02PM by madalice.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 01:08AM

PNW! Check on that!

mtns, lots of hiking/biking/water all around (sailing, kayaks, etc), funky politicians (Seattle mayor is gay).
Two nearby nudist parks, a couple of nude bike-rides every summer!

'excellent (?) symphony, lots of performing arts, venues that attract top names/groups.

Very Good public transport, cheap for seniors, disabled.

no extremes in temp (again, compared to IMW)

'minimal' morg influence, at least compared to IMW.

Date: July 18, 2014 01:08AM

I already live there.

Posted by: kimnotnaomi ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 03:19PM

Where alice? We are moving to Albany, Oregon next month. We currently live in Mesa, AZ. So excited to move away from the heat and the highly LDS populated Mesa.

Posted by: bewarethetea ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:27AM

Colorado. Even though it's kind of Morridor-ish, it's got gay marriage, legal weed, and I love the landscapes of the Southwest.

Date: July 18, 2014 01:18PM

Where in Colorado would you suggest? I've got two school age kids. I need to be near a university and hubby needs an airport at a reasonable distance.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 01:25PM

Niwot, or similar

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:32AM

My daughter works there summers for Princess Cruises and has for 7 years and I've been lucky to go to Alaska 4 times now. LOVE IT.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:32AM

My daughter works there summers for Princess Cruises and has for 7 years and I've been lucky to go to Alaska 4 times now. LOVE IT.

Posted by: helenahandbasket ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:41PM

Love Alaska too! My daughter also worked for Princess (14 years)so we have been there several times, and I am ready to go back! Love those mountains!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 05:35AM

A super mega trimaran or cat, open ocean rigged, to follow the surf around the Indian ocean.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 06:02AM

Posted by: Canuck Exmo ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 06:38AM

Was just thinking 'bout this. Denmark is supposedly the happiest country on earth. But I think Switzerland might be nice as well.

Vancouver island would be nice - but I'd want access to cities as well and not be dependent on having to ferry back and forth. Perhaps a farm close to a metropolitan city to have best of both worlds.

Date: July 18, 2014 01:19PM

A farm just outside a cool metro area would be absolutely perfect!

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 07:14AM

Currently live in central Virginia. Yes, Virginia is beautiful.

But, I like it colder and rainier and I like to not have my life shut down during the months of July/August because of the stifling heat and humidity.

Have never been to there but I think I would love Ithaca, NY: bleeding heart liberals--high college graduate rate when compared with remainder of state--also beautiful finger lakes and lots of snow in winter but also beautiful summers.
Pacific NW--probably Oregon as opposed to Washington because it's cheaper--would love the outdoor activities already mentioned--also liberal

I think there are many places in Eastern or Western Canada I'd love although I wouldn't want to live in Ontario--I have only been there once and it just reminds me of the upper, upper Midwest.

Used to want to live in England countryside--would probably still like to do that--but not at the top of my list any longer--although it is so beautiful there.

Never been to Scandinavia but I think I'd like it there bc it's so liberal.

Italy is beautiful (especially Tuscany) but I don't think I'd fit in with the people.

So that's a lot of options, I think.

Date: July 18, 2014 02:05PM

I think you would like Seattle or Portland Ore.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 07:40AM

I live in Alberta. We have lots of good jobs here but our weather SUCKS. I would love to live somewhere around San Diego or Miami. I'm not picky haha.

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 07:54AM

I live on the outskirts of Los Angeles and like it...except for housing prices. I think you might like Ashland, Oregon. Lots of events, music, museums and an artistic population. If I wanted to move northwards, THAT'S where I'd go!

Date: July 18, 2014 01:22PM

That's my problem too. I really love the Bay Area, but I want to get my boys into a house. They want a dog and a basketball hoop and I want a clothesline. I can't even get into a crappy condo here for half a million. Sigh.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 07:58AM

Washington state.

Seattle.

Queen Anne.

Highland Drive.

South side of street.

167 to be precise.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 10:31AM

Wow. Nice house. What are those blue things on the roof? Solar Panels?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 08:06AM

I love the Niagara Region. It's so pretty. It's wine-growing country and there are fields of grapes. Along the Niagara River, around the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, is very pretty, just across from Lewiston, NY.

During the winter I always dream of living in California, where it's not so freakin' cold.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 08:10AM

Consider what type of climate you wish to live in along with the preferred size of your town or city. Also think about how far you want to be from the coast or a large body of water. Various places on the western end of Oregon or Washington state might be a good fit for you. If you don't mind being landlocked (with a lot of snow) the Denver/Boulder area is very pleasant. If you are seeking warmer weather then moving down the coast in California might work, depending on housing prices.

Posted by: chihuahua mama ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 08:22AM

...anywhere but here!

Posted by: Tom Monson ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 08:32AM

Salt Lake City. I love the perks that go with my life too. Can't complain about life here, Jazz games, Mormon tabernacle choir, catered meals. It is also nice in the Summer to get away to the Teton valley in Idaho.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 08:46AM

Santa fe

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 10:00AM

Anywhere in the Pacific Northwest but ideally, working for a ski resort somewhere in the Northern CA mountains - maybe near Lake Tahoe.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 10:21AM

Just about anywhere except Utah might sound more inviting and exotic a place to live than where I do live, although it's grown on me and I find I have a real connection to this city.

However, so I move to Hawaii or the mountains, or Vermont where there are more rational people, but I'm alone and thousands of miles away from my family (the chosen one not the blood one). How would that make life better?

I think I'll bloom where I'm planted, thank you.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 10:57AM

I was thinking of moving to Scotland or Ireland, but found out that the taxes would be on the high side for an expatriate. I've looked at places like Erie, PA and Poughkeepsie, NY, but now, I'm not sure.

Posted by: Charee ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 11:55AM

I'm happy here on Maui. Not a surprise.

Posted by: B'hamster ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 01:36PM

I love living in Bellingham, Washington (upper NW corner, just south of British Columbia). The climate is temperate and it is green year round. Personally, I love the grey, rainy winters but I do wish we got more snow (generally only once or twice a year). There is also a fun hippy vibe here - it's like San Francisco light.

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 01:45PM

San diego area would be perfect, I go to baja alot for real relaxation and adventure, sd would be a good jumping off spot.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 01:59PM

Vienna or Salzburg in Austria. Mostly because of the music.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:43PM

Exactly where I live now! It has everything I need at this point in my life.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:43PM

I would go to Australia, if they'd let me...

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 03:22PM

Central coast of California is nice. It is still expensive but not as much. You could try more out in the country for more space less cost. Weather is great, lots of outdoor activities.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.