Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 05:43PM

As much as females know and believe Kate Kelly did not deserve to be excommunicated, females will not disobey their husbands or their bishops to show support for Kate Kelly.

All it would take is for the women who supported Kate Kelly to do is quit attending primary and YM. Also quit paying tithing. In their tithing slips write Kate Kelly and zero donations. A thousand women not sending their kids would make a statement.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 05:47PM

I would not be married to a man who did not support me in this!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:45PM

So, you are saying women need permission from their husbands to stand up?

Women should be standing up to anyone that disagrees with them having full rights, including their husbands. Until the women stand up for themselves, the men likely will not change.

Until women stand up for them selves, it will be less likely that the men that would support them to stand beside them in support.

Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 08:27PM

I said we need more feminist men

Date: July 20, 2014 09:49PM

Until the women stand up for themselves they can not expect feminist men to come in and rescue the damsel in distress. In other words, they have to stop asking for permission before they will start to see change.

The way you sound now is, "Well, the women aren't going to do it for themselves so we need feminist men to do it for us"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 09:53PM by MJ.

Posted by: bewarethetea ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 08:50PM

It's not that they need permission, it's that Mormon women think that way.

Date: July 20, 2014 09:50PM

That's my point.

They will never get men to support them until they learn to stand up for themselves.

Posted by: bewarethetea ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:23AM

Yep. Sadly it looks like the women are even more sexist to themselves than the men are. The men really don't care as it doesn't directly affect them, while the women have to justify their inequality to themselves every day.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:23PM

How I wish Mormon women would wake up.

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:26PM

The Morg did not want a pesky female rallying support around her to change the status quo for the menfolk.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:31PM

OW seemed a lot more intent on getting headlines than on forging a supporting group of women. KK was often vitriolic in her interactions with average TBM women, and that will limit their effectiveness with something like a boycott.

Posted by: waywardewe ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:40PM

Although I realize they're in the minority, compared to the overall membership, it is encouraging that of the 350 OW profiles that were up, only 5 have taken their profiles down since Kate was excommunicated. Also, there have been more than 175 new profiles since then. This shows that the ones who did go public are not going to be intimidated for the most part and more are being motivated to come forward. The church just may be losing control of its members, as more and more people are not willing to put up with their nonsense.

Posted by: Feelinglight ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 08:18PM

I love reading the OW profiles. The days of tscc as we have known it, are over. I joined in the 70's. I no longer believe or attend. Have not resigned yet...could cause a divorce...too old for that...but I will never set foot in an LDS building again.

Date: July 20, 2014 08:23PM

What would hurt the morg the most would be for those 500 OW members to not function in any calling and not to pay any tithing. That would be like 5 wards to stop paying, stop attending. 1,000 women would be like the Morg losing an entire stake.

They should all donate 1 cent tithing in Kate Kelly's name since the morg cannot accept tithing from her.

It will never happen. Women like to clean toilets and do as they are told to by a man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 08:52PM by themaster.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 08:30PM

I'm actually pretty stoked about it because I really liked her as a Mormon. But now we have more common ground, and hopefully it's going to have a good influence other people I know, who have been surprisingly supportive of her.

I wonder if having multiple people they know leave the church will eventually get them thinking. I can hope, right?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 08:34PM

The church couldn't run without half of its membership. There is power in numbers.

Date: July 20, 2014 08:54PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The church couldn't run without half of its
> membership. There is power in numbers.

But LDS women will not miss attending their meetings and cleaning toilets. They like being doormats.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 09:00PM

The women I know in the LDS Church are content or satisfied with their belief system and how it works. It's their home, family, Eternal World View, their culture, religion and it is their life. Theirs. 100% theirs.

They have a good idea of how it works, what it means to be an LDS woman, often educated, mothers, financially astute, socially aware, work in the community, etc. (This is my experience I am talking about here.)

Sure there are kinks in the system but that's usually humans doing what humans do: mess things up!

The last thing I am going to do is try to tell someone they need to wake up, or must change how are they thinking, acting, and believing and they need to change...!! (I tried that tactic only briefly and it failed miserably!!)

If someone tried that with me, they would soon find the door and be told never to come back. I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions and if I wanted their advise, I'd ask for it. Intrude on my personal rights and the relationship is over! The last thing I want in my life is ranting, rigid, fanatical nuts that tell me how I must live my life.

I'm a believer in respecting other people's choices. And leave them alone. And, because I do that, I get the same respect given to me!

The LDS Church is set up a certain way, like all churches are. They may make some changes, maybe not.

I didn't care for how things were going in the LDS Church and the demands on me as a member, and a bunch of other reasons, so I changed my mind and resigned my membership.
I knew I did not have the power to make a huge billion dollar corporation change how they do things to suit me.

As women, we are free to make choices and decisions knowing full well there are consequences to all of them. There is a saying: make the choice -- choose the consequences (some are known some are not.)

I grew up with the adage: "It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind!: And I did. So can any other woman. At least, that is true where I life!

I lived my life in the LDS Church in a partnership with my spouse for over 50 years. We shared in our home and family responsibilities and our rights. One does not own or control the other. And that is what I observed in our friends in the LDS Church, also.

The women who support major change in the LDS Church re: ordaining women, are likely not content with their place and position in the Plan of Salvation. And, in my view, would be better served to find a church that provided what they wanted.
It's all available just not all in the same churches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 09:03PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 09:56PM

The bottom line is MONEY. They don't want women to find out how much money they have, or where it's going. They certainly don't want to give them any say in the matter.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 10:36PM

themaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As much as females know and believe Kate Kelly did
> not deserve to be excommunicated, females will not
> disobey their husbands or their bishops to show
> support for Kate Kelly.

The results of a survey showed that men support the ordination of women more than women do.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/10/08/big-majority-of-mormons-oppose-women-in-priesthood-including-women/

I don't think the numbers support the idea that women don't want to disobey their husbands.

I don't think TSCC will make a policy change to suit a minority of about 10%, even if all of them stopped paying tithing in protest.

Date: July 20, 2014 11:39PM

TSCC will change policy/doctrine at any time and any place if it benefits them.

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:45PM

I dislike the idea of females supporting Kate Kelly, because Kate Kelly is still begging for crumbs from the table.

I think a far better approach is *leaving altogether*. Screw Bednar, Packer, all these losers, and just get out. Staying in to beg for the priesthood is demeaning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 11:45PM by Tal Bachman.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 11:07AM

I agree that leaving is a better approach. I have taken that approach from the get go. IF the LDS Church does not fulfill your needs and desires, find one that does!

I found the whole OW thing very demeaning as a woman.A woman does not beg or grovel. She knows what she wants and understands where her power lies to get what she wants, and where it does not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 11:25AM by SusieQ#1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.