Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 08:22PM

I have a Samsung infuse that is three years old and is getting a little cranky.

A year ago I got water in it and I thought I would have to replace it, as the keypad would not work on the phone function and I had to remove the battery to hang up a call. I tried putting it in a bag of rice, put it on a heating pad, and in front of a fan. After a month of using it, it slowly recovered its functions and then worked fine.

It has been getting a bit glitchy, and then today I knocked my coffee onto the top of it, but there was no moisture under the battery area. However it keeps turning itself off. It boots up everthing looks fine and then .....black screen, none of its normal I am shutting down routine.

Don't want to spend money on a phone, I have about $600 in car repairs this weekend. Sigh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 09:44PM

You have had it three years? Should you not be close to an upgrade by your carrier?

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 09:51PM

Download everything now before it's too late.

Date: July 23, 2014 09:55PM

onlinemoniker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Download everything now before it's too late.

Excelling point.

Date: July 23, 2014 09:54PM

After years of over paying for ATT, I switched to Metro PC and pay $40 (no other fees) for unlimited talk, text, internet. No service contract. I took my phone with me. With ATT I was paying $80 for limited internet, a lot of talk time with rollover minutes, and 5 texts a month. RIP OFF.

I moved and could not have a conversation in my house, I had to wander outside and sometime get a signal, then it would drop every 5 minutes. Someone told me that his carrier provide a thing for the house that boosted the signal so he could get coverage. I asked ATT and was told it would be $100, but it really cost $200, so I was getting a deal. When I called to cancel the service I mentioned that the charge for actually getting a signal inside my house was the last straw, the guy said he could provide it for free. I asked if they could meet the $40 deal and he said no. A little too late.

The problem with the no contract service is that you pay for the phone upfront. After a year of dumping ATT I have saved $480 dollars, but it was not like I was setting it aside for a new phone.

My phone does everything I need it to do, so I had no intention of replacing it for something new.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:42PM

Your phone does everything you need it to do except work reliably. That's kind of important.

Date: July 24, 2014 12:35AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Your phone does everything you need it to do
> except work reliably. That's kind of important.

Yes, well it USED to do everything I needed it to do until this afternoon's coffee bump.

I was so involved with my documents I didn't realize I hit my coffee cup. I looked at the puddle and thought the Styrofoam cup was leaking (although how it would have jumped up onto my phone would be a mystery--nano bots in the coffee).

When I am concentrating, a bomb could go off and I would not notice. One of the benefits of mild OCD.

Posted by: nevermo in moland ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 09:55PM

When I had an android, it died after about a year or so. I'm currently using an iphone3. Works fine, but haven't dropped it in water.

If you can't afford a new phone and can't (or don't want to) do the upgrade, you can get a refurbished phone for a decent price if you look around. That's what I did.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 09:58PM

Quoth the Raven Nevermo Wrote:
> Don't want to spend money on a phone, I have about
> $600 in car repairs this weekend. Sigh.

I don't know anything about smart phones, Quoth...but I do want you to know that I care.

Date: July 24, 2014 12:40AM

tevai Wrote:
> Quoth the Raven Nevermo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Don't want to spend money on a phone, I have
> about
> > $600 in car repairs this weekend. Sigh.
>
> I don't know anything about smart phones,
> Quoth...but I do want you to know that I care.

Nice to know someone does!! I have been having constant MVA/police/ticket/Car drama and today's phone drama has put me over the edge in stressed-out land. Deep into stressed-out land. Lost in stressed-out land. I would drink if I was so inclined but I think I will eat some watermelon instead.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:03PM

I had an Android. Biggest pice of junk ever. I replaced it 3 times in 90 days.

I now have an Iphone. It's 6 months old. It only rings some of the time. I'm going in tomorrow to see what the problem is.

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:06PM

iPhone4s for 3 years. Works great. No issues waiting for the iPhone6 before upgrading.

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 11:18PM

ditto

Posted by: BoMSkeptic ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 09:38AM

Double ditto

Posted by: Iphone4 ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 11:20PM

I'm sitting at 4 going on five years with my iphone 4. Battery life is still going strong and works perfectly. Te back has been cracked since it was 3 days old but that's never really bothered me (though whoever thought of putting more glass than you have to on a phone isn't the smartest.)

Posted by: ftw ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 11:32PM

There are some new phones that are waterproof, (Sony Experia Z2 and Z1S, Samsung Galaxy S5, for example) so if you're coming up on renewal you might be able to get one of those. They're probably pricey even on a contract though.

I've seen lots of broken iphones and samsung galaxy phones, I don't think it matters a whole lot what you get. drop it a few times in the wrong places, sit on it wrong, set something on it, etc.

Personally I use android phones but I find the iphone/ipod/ipad is simpler to use (In a good way), I just don't like the screen size on the iphone. Windows phones have gotten much better in the last year, for a budget smart phone they're pretty decent, particularly if you don't care about lots of apps.

Motorall Moto g should be a pretty good phone for a low price.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 11:59PM

I own an original iPhone that still works.

I had two Android handsets that both bit the dust inside of a year.

I currently use an iPhone 4S.

Depending on your provider, there are some decent Android handsets out there for a very reasonable price. If you're on AT&T or T-Mobile (or a reseller that contracts with them), an unlocked Android can be had for less than $150.

Date: July 24, 2014 01:03AM

Looks like I had a pretty good run for my Samsung infuse for three years. I have it duct taped to a fan, blowing air into the back of it.

I am praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster to resurrect my phone to its former working state.

I might try gawd, but he is too busy finding keys for Mormons. And fixing toilets...a real post by a real Mormon on baby center. Yup, gawd made the downstairs toilet work one more time so preggers mom didn't have to walk upstairs. It was a f-ing MIRACLE!

Date: July 24, 2014 02:31AM

A MIRACLE! My phone has stayed on for 15 minutes (kept going black in about 3 minutes).

This proves that the FSM is true.

Oh, lardy, I have a burning in my....well, maybe it is not my bosom, maybe further south, as I was watching...well, never mind that...no matter, there is a burning. I have confirmed the burning. Or, is that a yeast infection?

And my prayer was answered by the FSM. I must don the sacred headwear of the FSM to show my devotion and submission to the Noodly One. I will wear the magical strainer on my head. I have a nice lime green Tupperware one, it will go lovely with a summer shirt.

I shall anoint myself with the blessed olive oil, blessed by a Pastafarian. Being well lubed keeps the noodles from sticking.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:41AM

My daughter dropped her iphone in a toilet. The technician who saved it told me to leave it switched off until it fully dried - 3 days, even after he wiped the inside with alcohol. Apparently running it while damp can ruin it. Might want to switch it off and wait a bit.

Date: July 24, 2014 02:51AM

Apparently there can be residual moisture in the phone, as when mine took about 5 weeks for the glitches to stop.

Right now my phone is still on and operating, I am crossing my chin hairs.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:57AM

i was told in an internet forum...so take it for what it is worth...

that Androids have a life span of 1000 charges and destruct soon afterward. This is apparently built into them as to keep a market going.

Whether it is true or not, it may be worth considering if buying a second hand phone.

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:09AM

Where I live there are a lot of independent phone stores that will sell unlocked, preowned phones a lot cheaper than you can get at the carrier store. Maybe you have some by you?

Also, I would suggest investing in a waterproof case. They are a bit pricey but would be worth it if you think you will have accidents like this in the future. I'm a total klutz, so I bought a Lifeproof case for my I-Phone 5. It's waterproof up to 6 feet, I think. It was about $75 at the time but so worth it. I have seen them since on Amazon for $50.

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:11AM

And if it makes you feel any better, my last phone got dropped into a glass of iced tea. I was driving my husband's truck and it slid off the console right into a cup of tea he had left in the cup holder. I did the rice thing and the phone still worked but the camera was shot. So I feel your pain.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 10:15AM

My Iphone 3 lived just over 3 years. Now my 4 is dying at 2. I think they are designed to die.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.