Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder What's-his face ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:01AM

Wilfords Personal Journal Entry 24 July 1847:
"We gazed with wonder and admiration upon the vast rich fertile valley which lay for about 25 miles in length and 16 miles in width. Clothed with the Heaviest garb of green vegitation in the midst of which lay a large body of salt water...After gazing awhile upon the seenerywe travelled across the table land into the valley 4 mile to the encampment of our Brethren who had arrived 2 days before [-] they had pitched there encampment upon the bank of two small streams of pure water & had commenced plowing. Had broke about 5 acres of ground & commenced planting Potatoes"

BUT

Wilford Woodruff in 1880:
"When we came here thirty-three years ago we found this place a barren desert. There was no mark of the white man here. It was a desert indeed, hardly a green thing to meet the eye."

Discourse by Elder Wilford Woodruff,
Delivered in the Salt Lake Asembly Hall, at the semiannual conference of the Salt Lake Stake of Zion,

Saturday afternoon, July 3rd, 1880.

JoD 21:189

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:05AM

See Elder, President Woodruff was misquoted the second time. Just as our beloved President, Brigham Young, was misquoted at the mouth of Emigration Canyon. What he really said was, "This is a disgrace, drive on."

Happy Fucking Pioneer Day!

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:13AM

No, I think he told two lies. The truth is somewhere between the two descriptions.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 01:07AM

I covered this (somewhat) a little while back.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1289093

Down near the end.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 11:22AM

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 11:31AM

Man alive, I'm so glad I live where nobody has heard of Pioneer Day!!! It's just a nice summer day for going to the lake or pool. Nobody is setting off firecrackers either. I don't even mind that it's not a holiday with time off from work. I have a permanent holiday from Mormonism and that's WAY better than Pioneer Day!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.