Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: david dim-whitmer ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 12:16AM

As a youngster, in the 8-10 age range, I remember vividly, sitting in Sacrament meetings each week with my scriptures opened to the Book of Abraham. I loved looking at the facsimiles. I thought they were so interesting. I loved reading the explanations of the pictures. And I would read the introduction to the book, that it came to us from the catacombs of Egypt, that it was written by Abraham, in his own hand, and I was fascinated by that. For me, a young simple kid, there was no mystery to what Joseph claimed the papyrus to be: an actual document handled by and written by Abraham and translated by Joseph Smith. The introduction COULD NOT BE MORE CLEAR. Never did my young, unintellectual, unsophistocated self imagine that words don't really mean what they mean. I should have known better. Silly me. The adults understood the nuance in those words that I could never hope to understand until I grew up and became smart and educated. I should have known that "translated" didn't really mean translated. Or that "by his own hand upon papyrus" didn't really mean that Abraham really wrote it on that actual piece of papyrus that came into Joseph Smith's possession.

Oh happy man that I am, to be older and wiser now and to know the mysteries of seemingly simple language!!

It was so simple of me to have ever believed that simple language could simply be, simple!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:03AM

No kidding. BTW, as a kid, I also was drawn to the facsimiles when thumbing through the scriptures. Pictures!!!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:55AM

When I was a little kid, even the ADULTS believed the introduction meant exactly what it said. They were also positive the BoM people covered the New World from pole to pole, that native North and South Americans were 100% pure Lamanites, who used to be Israelites. Tey were positive that Mayan, Aztec, Incan and other ruins were lost BoM cities. They were positive "negroes" and Lamanites were cursed with dark skins and that "negros" would NEVER hold the priesthood.

Posted by: anony ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 05:31AM

felt the same way as a child.

Did a test after we left the church. Showed our 3 kids (age 3-8) Egyptian hand writing, and included the BOA pictures. Then showed them the kinderhook plates. Asked if that looked like an Egyptian wrote it. They all jumped up screaming "No" that's fake. 1 min test. Truth wins. JS fails.

Was not hard to explain to them at all the Morg was built upon false prophets. That the morgs are liars.

It was funny several months later our 5yr old was yelling at some missionaries, telling them the *truth*. The mishies were all like "kinder what?" My kids were great at replying KINDERHOOK plates. And told them to go search, ponder, and pray. LOL.

Posted by: Turd ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 11:36AM

You teach your 5-year-old to go around yelling at people? You tolerate that?

Posted by: anony ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 02:55PM

okay, maybe not yelling. :) I try to teach them to polite. Kids do say the darndest things.

Posted by: hotchi ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 11:33AM

I remember having a fascination with Egypt at 8 years old. I remember opening the book of Abraham and going "What is the book of the dead doing in the BoM? This is how to embalm the body parts and stick organs in canopic jars."

Had I been any smarter I should have realized that it was a fraud right at eight years old.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.