Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 12:30PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 10:11PM

I was going to post to ask about this, too. I hope we hear something soon; I was more than a little concerned about the situation.

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 01:13AM

I waited for his update on and off today.

He was supposed to talk to his son last night.

I wonder what happen:-(

Posted by: Talon Avex ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 01:51AM

Bumping and hope everything is okay. Hopefully, ConcernedDad is in the process of bringing his son home.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 05:42AM

I was thinking about it too.

Posted by: anony ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 12:22PM

hope everything is alright

Posted by: ConcernedDad ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 10:05PM

Hi everyone and thanks so much for your concern and support. I just got back home and need to get some sleep, so I'll make this brief, but I'd be glad to elaborate when I have more time.

After promising to call me Monday night, my son didn't. When I asked him about it yesterday he said the MP told him that he (MP) and I had talked and "everything was ok". The impression my son got was that he didn't need to call. So there's that...

After my son didn't call, I hopped on the next flight to go find him. Both the MP and his sweet secretary had told me that my son would be in the mission office yesterday afternoon so I went straight there. I got there and apologized to the sweet secretary for my impatience the night before and she said she understood (?!). But, I was informed, my son was not there and had no plans of coming. I told her that I wouldn't be going back home until I spoke with him, so she left the room to talk to the MP on the phone.

The sweet secretary never came back and soon 2 guys with "Temple Security" badges came in and asked me to leave the grounds. I have to note that I did make demands and a couple of threats: calling the police (from the night before, which I did - and they assured me they couldn't do anything to help my adult son who was there of his own free will), and contacting the press (if they failed to put me in touch with my son), but I really hadn't even gotten warmed up. On my way to my car, the MP called and said he would text me an address where I could spend some time with my son. He would be there with security.

I made the drive to the address and got pretty worked up on the way there. I was ready for a huge confrontation. But when I pulled up, it was just my son and his companion. I gave him a hug and we all chatted for a minute, then my son said we could go in the local ward house and talk there in private for as long as we needed. I tried several times to get him to go for a ride with me and possibly spend the night, but he didn't feel comfortable with that. He still feels the need to keep up appearances until he's made a definite decision to come home. So anyway, the MP and his security detail showed up, we went in and my son and I had a great talk for a couple of hours. He's very torn on so many levels and isn't ready to come home yet. We agreed on some boundaries for him - things that would indicate he needed to leave (depression symptoms, suggestions of medication, etc.). We also agreed on a plan for next time that did not involve the MP, his security, or his sweet secretary. We talked and cried for a long time, said our farewells, and parted ways.

The MP and I made up and he seemed genuinely interested in helping however he could. He seems like a decent guy. I feel for him. My son is an absolutely wonderful kid, and it hurts terribly to see him struggle. I hope he can really figure out what will make him happy and either come home soon or truly enjoy the rest of his mission.

I feel tons better and am encouraged that my son is maturing so fast and looking at so many things in the right way. I'm optimistic that he's going to be fine.

Thanks again for your all your help and advice.

Date: July 30, 2014 10:08PM

(sorry - let me see if I can post this in the right place...)

Hi everyone and thanks so much for your concern and support. I just got back home and need to get some sleep, so I'll make this brief, but I'd be glad to elaborate when I have more time.

After promising to call me Monday night, my son didn't. When I asked him about it yesterday he said the MP told him that he (MP) and I had talked and "everything was ok". The impression my son got was that he didn't need to call. So there's that...

After my son didn't call, I hopped on the next flight to go find him. Both the MP and his sweet secretary had told me that my son would be in the mission office yesterday afternoon so I went straight there. I got there and apologized to the sweet secretary for my impatience the night before and she said she understood (?!). But, I was informed, my son was not there and had no plans of coming. I told her that I wouldn't be going back home until I spoke with him, so she left the room to talk to the MP on the phone.

The sweet secretary never came back and soon 2 guys with "Temple Security" badges came in and asked me to leave the grounds. I have to note that I did make demands and a couple of threats: calling the police (from the night before, which I did - and they assured me they couldn't do anything to help my adult son who was there of his own free will), and contacting the press (if they failed to put me in touch with my son), but I really hadn't even gotten warmed up. On my way to my car, the MP called and said he would text me an address where I could spend some time with my son. He would be there with security.

I made the drive to the address and got pretty worked up on the way there. I was ready for a huge confrontation. But when I pulled up, it was just my son and his companion. I gave him a hug and we all chatted for a minute, then my son said we could go in the local ward house and talk there in private for as long as we needed. I tried several times to get him to go for a ride with me and possibly spend the night, but he didn't feel comfortable with that. He still feels the need to keep up appearances until he's made a definite decision to come home. So anyway, the MP and his security detail showed up, we went in and my son and I had a great talk for a couple of hours. He's very torn on so many levels and isn't ready to come home yet. We agreed on some boundaries for him - things that would indicate he needed to leave (depression symptoms, suggestions of medication, etc.). We also agreed on a plan for next time that did not involve the MP, his security, or his sweet secretary. We talked and cried for a long time, said our farewells, and parted ways.

The MP and I made up and he seemed genuinely interested in helping however he could. He seems like a decent guy. I feel for him. My son is an absolutely wonderful kid, and it hurts terribly to see him struggle. I hope he can really figure out what will make him happy and either come home soon or truly enjoy the rest of his mission.

I feel tons better and am encouraged that my son is maturing so fast and looking at so many things in the right way. I'm optimistic that he's going to be fine.

Thanks again for your all your help and advice.

Posted by: bump ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 02:53PM

Bump

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 04:30PM

He will be back round to update everyone soon. No worries :)

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 05:00PM

Thanks, Susan!

Date: July 30, 2014 05:24PM

Thank you!

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 05:42PM

Thank you.

Posted by: Talon Avex ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 09:31PM

Thanks Susan!!!

Date: July 30, 2014 10:09PM

<sigh> I have no idea how to post in the right spot...

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 10:20PM

Try clicking on "Reply" to the area you want to reply to, or "New Topic" to start a new thread.

Very glad to hear that your son is ok. The MP's behavior is really bizarre. I guess I never realized how controlling TSCC can be when it comes to hiding missionaries from their parents. Definitely something worthy of reporting to some kind of media outlet if push comes to shove.

Date: July 30, 2014 11:02PM

You are a great dad, thank you for the update.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.