Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:44PM

I have asked several General Authorities, over the years, about their special spiritual experiences, leading them to a firm testimony of Mormonism.

Every single answer is almost exactly the same. So, last week, I asked another one, and, yep, it essentially was the same as all the others.

"I've had experiences too sacred to share. Now, mind you, I didn't hear a voice or see a vision, but, I didn't need that. It was more powerful than that. And, I now KNOW, without a doubt, that the LDS Church is true."

In other words, it is sacred because I say so and it means the church is true because I say so, and it's because of a strong feeling; end of thinking.

They all say the same things. Like robots. Well, Morgbots.

And, I now KNOW, without a doubt, that their experiences are too sacred to share because those experiences will prove nothing to anyone. Therefore, it's not too sacred, it's just too personal. So personal, in fact, that it really proves nothing universal. Yet, the secretive, solemn, and sacred nature of HOW they talk about it makes them FEEL that it is concrete proof that the church is true. I can't believe I used to 'feel the spirit' when GA's would say things like this. I now realize I was feeling something about nothing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:46PM

When the ward high priests were set upon the task of saving me, each one had a very similar story to tell.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 05:48PM

Nobody from the HP's has tried to "save" my apostate a$$ since I resigned and told them to leave me alone....thankfully.

Ron Burr

Date: July 29, 2014 06:03PM

Yep, same here.

In fact, I told one of those HPs that I am having personal conversations with a General Authority about my disaffection. His response, and I quote verbatim:

"Well, I don't need any General Authority to prove it to me. I've had so many sacred experiences, in the temple, that even if they haven't had them, I can bear sure witness that the church is true. I know things, revealed in the temple, that many of the Apostles probably haven't had revealed to them yet."

They all say the same thing. Sacred feelings about experiences that are based on feelings that they interpret to mean what they want them to mean, but mean nothing at all.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:06PM

thewhyalumnus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> " I've had so many sacred experiences, in
> the temple,...."

He was probably referring to a good dump after days of constipation.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:11PM

^^^ Truly sacred experiences especially when it's been a few days!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:14PM

Oneupmanship! Humble little dufus ain't he?

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:05PM

Too sacred to share = The dog ate my homework.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:13PM

I know it's NOT true because of many, many experiences of finally finding answers to my questions. And I'm willing to share even though they are sacred experiences.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:19PM

JS proclaimed to the world that he saw god with his own eyes. Yet a modern called man of god can't say I have been called but have not had the privilege yet to see god or any of his servants. Instead they only say I can't talk about it as if they are ashamed or have something to hide.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:26PM

Joe the Coxman said he saw God and Jesus. Later he saw Jesus, Elijah and Elias. He saw Peter, James and John and for all I know, the Three Nephites and Peter, Paul and Mary singing Puff, the magic Dragon.

And these numnuts think their cheezy 'spiritual experience' is too sacred to share?

Are they afraid of getting caught in a lie like Joey boy did?

Date: July 29, 2014 06:32PM

WillieBoy Wrote:
> Joe the Coxman said he saw God and Jesus. Later he
> saw Jesus, Elijah and Elias. He saw Peter, James
> and John and for all I know, the Three Nephites
> and Peter, Paul and Mary singing Puff, the magic
> Dragon.
>
> And these numnuts think their cheezy 'spiritual
> experience' is too sacred to share?
>
> Are they afraid of getting caught in a lie like
> Joey boy did?

I agree with you. But, they, of course, have an answer. They say that Joseph Smith was the Prophet of the Restoration and so people must gain a testimony of his experiences. But, our experiences are personal and not for the public.

It's circular logic. So, if someone like me, questions the church, they tell me that I shouldn't because they have had sacred experiences telling them the church is true, so I am wrong. But, they can't share those experiences because they are personal and too sacred. Mind-numbing mental gymnastics.

Posted by: The Spade ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:38PM

With every "I know" their obtuse ignorance and arrogance is on full display. Humility, honesty and reason are a complete anethema to these assholes in bad suits.

General Authority? Authority over what? Willfull ignorance, deception and blatant Assholianism that's what.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:41PM

With every fiber of my being, I know that the sacred testimonies of our sacred leaders are TRUE!

Posted by: safetynotguaranteed ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:45PM

I'm glad you weren't remiss and took the opportunity to tell us this today.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:46PM

General Authorities get the Second Anointing. They don't want you to know about it. It's a secret combination. So they will give you the too sacred line to throw you off the curiosity scent. Heck they'll even say something as mentioned in the OP, "I've had experiences too sacred to share. Now, mind you, I didn't hear a voice or see a vision, but, I didn't need that. It was more powerful than that. And, I now KNOW, without a doubt, that the LDS Church is true."

So what did they get in the SA?

Read Tom Phillip's story: http://www.mormonthink.com/files/tom-phillips-second-anointing.pdf

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 02:06AM

Good point. Yes it probably is the SA specifically that they are referencing when talking about sacred personal experiences. If you genuinely believed in TSCC and you went to the temple, hands laid on your head by an Apostle and as a couple you were promised exaltation 'from God', it would appear to be pretty special indeed. And you're not supposed to tell anyone, even your kids, so it's definitely super secret.

Fortunately we know it's just made up boys-treehouse gang stuff. But I could see that devoted church broke leaders would lap it up. It's a very smart way to reinforce.

Next time we should call their bluff:

GA: I've had experiences that are too sacred and personal to share
Sherlock: yes but apart from the second anointing which you're not supposed to reveal, what other things have you experienced?

Posted by: darkshadow ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 04:06AM

SA is in my opinion is a just a way to bind the weathy elite to the church. Lock them in by giving them a get to heaven free card. It is basically a papal indulgence of sorts. Lock them and their money in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2014 04:09AM by darkshadow.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 06:58PM

I really don't know how you manage to listen to all their delusional and wilfully ignorant s*** and not go freaking nuts. I would have run away and disowned them a long time ago.

You've got far more patience than I will ever have. I don't pretend to understand it, but I sure admire you for it.

Date: July 30, 2014 09:24AM

Book of Mordor Wrote:
> I really don't know how you manage to listen to
> all their delusional and wilfully ignorant s***
> and not go freaking nuts. I would have run away
> and disowned them a long time ago.
>
> You've got far more patience than I will ever
> have. I don't pretend to understand it, but I sure
> admire you for it.

I'm surrounded by TBMs and their royal GA families. I am THE project to them. It's exhausting though and I no longer start any of these conversations. This GA approaches me unsolicited.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 09:00PM

I don't think Mormons and especially a GA should be let off the hook so quickly with an answer like that.

Let's assume for a minute that the church is actually true. Mormons believe that the main purpose of the church is to preach the gospel and bring people to Christ. What if the experience that is "too sacred to share" is the one thing someone needs to hear to join the church? If everything works as it should, the person hearing the "too sacred" experience will be touched by the spirit and it could be a true missionary moment. I think Christ would be pretty disappointed that a Mormon declined an opportunity to share a "sacred" experience in order to get someone to join the church or strengthen another member's testimony.

I've decided that from now on when I hear a "too sacred to share" response I'm going to say something like, "And what do you think Christ would say to that? Here you have an opportunity to share something that could bring others to Christ and you choose not to."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 09:06PM by want2bx.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 09:05PM

Maybe they got a BJ and Felt the Spiritâ„¢, but since they've had the Second Anointing, nooooo problem, (but, you know, too sacred to share!).

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 02:24AM

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 04:57AM

You can counter fire with fire and I think that undermines the strength of their testimony.

Two years ago I prayed for wisdom and guidance in historic matters. I asked God to guide me and put the truth before me as evidence in my path so that I'd draw the right conclusions. I'm a theist so consider such a request genuine and reasonable. The result is I am here. My witness in this matter is that seeking the truth with a genuine open mind led me out of the church.

Is my testimony of how this happened any less real or sincere than their experiences?

My expectation is that he would then attempt to argue that his spiritual experiences align with scripture, but I too can argue the same. Further, it is illogical to use scripture as proof of the spirit when you must use the spirit as proof of the scripture. Two such items cannot stand upon each other as their foundation.

Therefore my spiritual experience neutralises his and my I term relation of the history does the same. Although by neutralising claims to the metaphysical we are left only with an appraisal of the actual evidence in its historic context. At present such evidence concludes the church a fraud.

For some reason the logic of this evades them. They are trapped in a confirmation bias. The weakness of their position is now evident and will ultimately lead to the extinction of the TBM. This makes the dodo analogy very apt as the views of Jeff Holland, like the dodo face extinction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2014 04:58AM by lilburne.

Posted by: Press ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 05:00AM

Then this means that Joseph Smith's First Vision experience wasn't sacred enough.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 05:04AM

I was told to say, if asked whether I had seen Jesus, "The Brethren have counselled us not to discuss such sacred experiences".

I replied that if I were to say that it would be inferred I had seen Jesus. Silence from the GA. I said I refused to lie or mislead people.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 06:58AM

Always their easy cop-out.

Date: July 30, 2014 09:20AM

anointedone Wrote:
> I was told to say, if asked whether I had seen
> Jesus, "The Brethren have counselled us not to
> discuss such sacred experiences".
>
> I replied that if I were to say that it would be
> inferred I had seen Jesus. Silence from the GA. I
> said I refused to lie or mislead people.

You confirmed my suspicion that this is their trained response. What's even more sad is that this most recent GA conversation last week concluded with him telling me that since I left the church, he would never feel comfortable sharing his sacred experiences with me. Yet, he is actively trying to bring me back to TSCC. It's such a joke!

Posted by: somnambulis ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 06:57AM

please send money.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 07:41AM

Simply remind them of Paul. He shared his experience.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 09:47AM

How can something be more powerful than actually hearing a voice or seeing a vision or actual personage?

What a load of horse5hit.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 12:00PM

Some things never change.

Horny Joe said so . . . . end of story.

dum dum dum dum dum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2014 12:01PM by Shummy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.