Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ihidmyself ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 09:27AM

night I ran across a fellow old time poster and we began reminiscing about how this board and all the activities we had back then here in Utah Valley were a huge help to us. We needed fellow exmos to talk to.

When my wife (imaworkinonit) left in 2001 we would organize little activities on Sundays like family hikes up Rock Canyon, picnics, swim parties at Dimple Dell Rec. Center. Then we did the Starbucks meetups on Sundays at 10:00, then the Cabellas meetups and now the group meets at Harmons on Bangerter highway.

We got close to a lot of people and to run across NormaRae last night and reminisce was really cool. She's doing great in TN and my wife and three kids and I are doing great here in Highland UT.

Just wondering how everyone else from the old gang is doing? Anyone know how Cindy in Lehi is doing? She used to bring her kids to the little hikes we would do. Haven't seen or heard from her in years. Are you out there Cindy? Hope you're doing well!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2014 04:24PM by Ihidmyself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 11:19AM

Although I might switch to that one now, I'm still going with NormaRae. Years ago it was NoLihoma.

Last night was so fun and so great to reminisce about the old days and the early support group days. I couldn't believe we got so many of us together. We're all over the world now and the stars just aligned right I guess.

I'm on my way back to Tennessee today. Again, so fun to see you two, glad you still are able to lend your support and the wisdom of your experience to the fast-growing Utah exmo community. It is great for people to be able to see what they can look forward to in their own families. Hope we cross paths again in our journeys.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 11:46AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one... I'm trying to remember your secret temple name because you posted under that one for a while, too...

Hayduke is a fixture here on Exmo scene, and like you she's one smart lady I'm happy to have as a friend. My apologies to ihidmyself if he was playing a deep game and trying to throw off the Internet Danites. That's permissible, of course...

I only go back around thirteen years myself, but I've enjoyed the company of all of you; one of my funniest memories was attending the first Utah screening of the Book of Abraham video and having the Nibleyites out in force...

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 10:28PM

Yeah, I also posted under "deb" for awhile (for "Deborah," my temple name)and changed it a few times because of a stalker problem I have. Finally decided the stalker can eat shitt if she doesn't like what I post. So I've stuck with "NormaRae" after one of my favorite movie characters.

Date: August 01, 2014 04:25PM

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 11:41AM

Hi, Ihidmyself, it's nice to see your name again!

Time does fly!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 05:33PM

to see all the growth in the exmo movement. I think we're really going to see a big change as our nevermo kids grow up and move out. For us, it was a huge adjustment to get mo'ism behind us. But our kids will never have to deal with that and they will contribute hugely to the non-mo community here in Utah. Awesome.

BTW, my oldest, who was 5 when we left is 20 now and is moving into her own place tomorrow down in Orem with three other nevermos. I'm proud of her.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 12:04PM

I have a daughter that goes to Dimple Dell Rec Center!! makes it seem like you are closer to me now. thanks for all the stuff you have posted over the years. I'm sure that people must have benefitted from it.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 02:05PM

stewing in their exmo juices both online and in reality. Should be heaps o' fun.

Date: August 01, 2014 04:27PM

about 10 years ago and said it was one of the most amazing experiences of your life? Ever since then I've thought how cool it would be to go but haven't yet.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 04:34PM

I think this Thanksgiving will make 19 years? I think Eric should get some kind of an award for putting up with all of us for so long!

Posted by: mamaface ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 05:29PM

I live in Highland too! I've often wondered if there is anyone else on this board from this area. I'm a relative new comer here, just 14 months, but I'm a definite old timer age wise.

Sorry...I know that wasn't the point of your post. :)

Date: August 01, 2014 05:36PM

to make it ourselves. So over the years, whenever I ran across a newly exmo, I've always gone out of my way to help them feel accepted. Glad to have you here. And don't forget, every sunday at 10:00 at the Harmons in Draper there is a regular exmo group that gets together and shoots the bull for a couple hours. You should show up!

Date: August 02, 2014 09:54PM

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 10:57PM

15 year member here, since 2000. Used to have a lot of area-wide SoCal activities, sometimes with fifty in attendance. Fun times.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 11:17PM

wow..amazingly I remember all those handles... !

I've been around for a long time also.

I'm a widow now and doing fine, considering my "fast forward" is broken...:-) Little joke about my broken bones and staggering around like a drunken sailor (not that there is anything wrong with that!) My third leg (cane) and I are now friends!

Getting old is not for sissies, as they say! At least, I know I am alive for another day when I wake up and something hurts!
:-)

Don't mind being single and living by myself. It's fine with me after living with a household of people most of my life and being a care taker for my husband when he was so ill.

I do miss having someone to bounce things off of... I do chatter a lot! Grateful for adult kids that are a great support!

The board is like an old friend -- someone to talk to at any time of the day or night.

Good to see so many taking their power back and owning it as I often say. There is a wonderful life ahead after Mormonism.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 11:18PM

one of the first and funniest stories I remember seeing on this board was your temple wedding account, including having to wear a nurse's dress and bulky stockings on top of your long-john model garments, that extended to the wrists and ankles.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 11:50PM

Ya.. that was always a weird experience. I changed computers and systems and don't know what I did with that story.
It was one of those times when my mind said: "What is wrong with this?"... but hey, we all looked pretty much the same -- total doofus!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2014 11:57PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 11:47PM

I found this site sometime in the late 90's. Got my modem for Christmas 95 but I'm not sure when after that I discovered the site. I know when I first found the site I used to read with delight the "letters from Mormons." Most of those who sent the letters couldn't spell and had bad grammar, though. But they were entertaining, nonetheless.

I have posted under several monikers but I don't think I was ever well known. I don't live in the Morridor and am a nevermo.

I post for awhile and then disappear for awhile. Eventually, I come back for more.

See a lot of the same themes over and over. I still enjoy the site, though. Despite the repetition.

Have learned so much about my favorite cult through this site!

Date: August 02, 2014 09:59PM

and then as ihidmyselfbecauseiwasnaked. Back then my wife was still a believer and the only people I felt I could talk with were here on this board. Do you remember Roger Loomis? He was a big help and I have never met him.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: August 03, 2014 01:43AM

Hi Everyone. I remember your monikers, but don't know if you remember mine. I was also one of the original posters on this board, but very infrequently in the beginning. After some time away from the board, a Mormon issue brought me back and I've been on-and-off since then. When I returned I was astounded that threads move more quickly off of the first page, since they used to remain on the front for a while, so I could return a few days later and the topic would still be visibly active.

Among all of you, I've only met SLCabbie and cricket in person. Fantastic time in downtown Salt Lake was had.

So glad this board's been around for so long, and would love to join together for a celebration once we get to twenty years. EricK and Susan I/S and others deserve so much praise for how they've kept up this board all these years.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 03, 2014 03:08AM

Can you remember when I started helping Eric? I know it was before 99 because I had been at it a while before X2K in Vegas. Back then Val read EVERY post and we could go 4-7 days and not turn the front page. Rules were so easy then. Don't piddle on our rug or your neighbors shoe. I didn't even know what an IP was till X2K. We had to change the registration page on the old ware because people would put in their real street address when it just said address so we changed it to EMAIL address!

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 11:02AM

Wow, Val read EVERY post? Crazy. And yes, I remember logging on the board like, on a Monday, reading everything, then coming back on the weekend to find the same posts on the front page with a few added comments.

I'm so happy that activity on this board has grown so much over the years. You guys are amazing to keep it up. Thank you.

Date: August 03, 2014 02:31AM

Date: August 03, 2014 02:31AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2014 02:53AM by imaworkinonit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.