Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 09:35PM

Want to resign? Do it.

There is no need to prove you are the person you say you are. If they don't believe you, that's their problem. No one must come to your house and look at ID. Good grief, who would illegally forge a name to resin someone else? That's stupid. It's never happened and if it did, a few computer clicks could correct the problem. Then the morg could go after the forger.

Once you document that you're not a member of the Mormon church, you are done. You don't have to talk to a bishop and you don't have to prove you are whoever you are. If they don't who is resigning, it means the person hasn't darkened their doors and already is not one of them.

Is it a nothing request to talk to the bish about this? For most maybe, but for some of us it is unacceptable. We don't want to have to deal with hives or the nonmo family stress of having bishops and SPs show up at our doors accusing us of forgery. I would have to spray them with a garden hose and others would have to turn their dogs on them. So why not simply refuse to talk to dimwits at the door who claim they must see your face before you can resign?

If someone must be oh so kind because they still relate to local Mormons, that's the way it is. But I don't think most of us who lived through cultism and escaped deserve to be forced to have to dance like a monkey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 10:37AM

I can see a legitimate reason for them to verify that the person sending in the letter is who they claim to be. That said, a notarization is legally sufficient. However, given that they are incredibly ignorant, that doesn't seem to satisfy. Without the notarization, I think they do have a responsibility to ensure it isn't someone engaging in a hoax.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 11:16AM

gettinreal Wrote:
-------------------------
> ... I think they do have a responsibility to ensure it isn't someone (besides themselves?) engaging in a hoax.

I never liked tap-dancing for TMC or its members and inhabitants. Who is pulling the strings? Who cares when you are free. All you know is you can move again. Send them the middle finger. That is something they understand. Take yourself out from underneath the water.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2014 11:25AM by mormonomore.

Date: August 08, 2014 11:31AM

No one has ever forged a resignation for someone else. If they do that, the Mormon church could have them prosecuted. A signature is acceptable for buying large purchases or for resigning from jobs or cancelling memberships in other organizations. I think it's good enough for the morg. If someone resigns for another person, so what. All the church would have to do would be to correct the mistake in their computers and life would go on.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 07:59PM

So people who resign of their own free will must prove their identity? Really?

It is left to the mormons to forge baptisms for people who would be absolutely furious and disgusted to be linked to that "church." But that is okay?

Do you see a little disconnect here?

Date: August 09, 2014 10:44AM

Is it that Mormons dead dunk which is the same as forging their names?

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: August 09, 2014 05:20PM

Mormons are baptizing people without their knowledge or consent--dead people, people who would be utterly against this baptism.
They do this wholesale.

Perhaps this is why they say they must have proof of identity to accept someone's resignation from the church. They take their own dishonesty as what is normal/expected behavior?

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: August 09, 2014 06:00PM

I find this is actually behind most mormon rules in application in mormons' daily lives. If you get a chance to ask a mormon what mormon specific sin they see the most of, or are worried the most about, or catch more people committing than any other, chances are really good that it is something they would LEAP at the chance to commit themselves if they thought there were no eternal consequences.

Or hell, limited life perspective of one here, I'm projecting what I see VERY MUCH amongst my own relatives.
I haven't attended in almost 20 years.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 11:23AM

As one who couldn't resign when I left because at that time there was only excommunication, and as one who never gave a damn what the Mormon church thought once I left, and as one who wouldn't bother to resign decades later because, lets face it, the church is not honest, they lie about their numbers, and by their own admission they admit to being liars, saying lying for the lord is acceptable----I must say that I get Cheryl's point, the heart of the post.

We were their dancing monkeys, and I for one have no intention of giving them that one last tango.

And the resignation being a hoax? Fraudulent? Ha. Not attending their church, not being responsive to their attempts to contact, avoiding them? That is confirmation enough that they should put your resignation through----like, NOW.

Date: August 08, 2014 11:34AM

If you've never attended, have avoided their attempts at contact, have never paid tithes, then the morg should already realize that you're not a participant and therefore are no longer a part of their group.

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 07:48PM

If they have honest concerns, then let them take simple steps to verify.I think, however, those concerns would be rare.

To say that someone has never resigned or attempted to resign for someone else is a bit of a overly broad statement. I wouldn't think it a big problem, but I also wouldn't say never.

Do they verify identity when you join?

Date: August 09, 2014 10:36AM

Tell a specific case and I'll believe you. Otherwise, you're expecting us to have faith with no evidence.

Date: August 08, 2014 11:05PM

Except your act of joining isn't anonymous. You get baptised, you get confirmed, you are introduced as a new member... there is a public display. A resignation is typically done by mail, very different thing. That's why I mentioned having your signature notarized...that should be sufficient evidence that it is in fact you. Without having a process to verify the identity of the person submitting the resignation, there is a real possibility of false resignations being submitted.
I mean, what would stop me, or you, from engaging in a mass resignation campaign by proxy??? See where I'm going??
I'm not saying they should show up at your door if you notarized it. But if you didn't, I can see why they would.

Date: August 09, 2014 10:42AM

I think it's a good idea to notarize a resignation.

However, no other church even requires a letter or a signature. Simply not attending or contributing constitute resignation.

A letter and signature are more than adequate and notarization would be considered overkill for a normal person in the real world. Good grief, there isn't even money or fame involved, just clicks on a computer and lines on a list stuffed in a dark file.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: August 09, 2014 10:54AM

Again this brings up the question of the tscc storing any data about you. If you're no longer a member then all data about you should be deleted. They should not retain your name, address or anything about you on their database.

Date: August 09, 2014 10:56AM

That's why it's a cult

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 09, 2014 04:44PM

They are writing a new Book of (EX)Mormons. The D&C is the Don't Anymore Come. The Pearl of Great Pride is the ones who will never join. The writer is you. The time is now. Do what you want.

M@t

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 09, 2014 05:54PM

I like dancing monkeys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWiUvn2KBu4

I did notarize my letter and the local idget STILL showed up at my door. Sigh.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 09, 2014 06:22PM

You were resigning your membership from The One True Church and losing all of your eternal ordinances. This must be taken seriously by everyone involved.

Former Mormons are diverse, some desperately want to please their Mormons.

Fire the Mormon bishop. He is the dancing monkey, make him dance for you, not the other way around. He believes in Mormonism, all versions. Former Mormons do not. Although it seems to me some former Mormons have versions they prefer.

Take a picture with your phone and letter, sheesh.
Notorize, sheesh again.

Tell them to go pound rocks, hard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2014 06:22PM by gentlestrength.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.