Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 05:49PM

The bishopric wants to know what groups are making copies and the number of them! Can we say Big Brother!!??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 05:58PM

At many workplaces, you need to punch in a job code (so they know who to bill) or employee ID number (to deter waste) in order to make copies.

Personally, I miss the days of mimeograph machines and the little buzz (and maybe brain damage) you could get from sniffing fresh copies.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 06:24PM

Each copy costs in impressions and the paper used.

Fair play to the Bishop for doing his job, I say!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 06:29PM

Not big brother, being RESPONSIBLE doing his job. The only shocker is he hasn't done it long ago.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 06:33PM

Years ago when I helped at the elementary school, they had implemented the password policy. Apparently too many folks from the wards were using the school copy room for church and likely personal copies.

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 06:34PM

Ah, more drama from the copier/printer.

In every office I have worked, community copiers and printers are always a source of problems. Nobody knows how to or wants to change the toner or add paper. People send massive projects at busy times.

Once key codes and other management processes were in place, things became much easier.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 06:36PM

Nah, that is standard operating procedure for the library copier!

We always had to keep a log of who, what, and how much. When the BP has to order six or more boxes with 12 reams of paper in them he needs to know who is using the copier!

I remember the ditzy choral leader who insisted on running off over thirty hymns out of the new hymnal before the ward got them. She'd bought her copy at Deseret Book Store and wanted to show what a cool music director she was by making the congregation sing the new additions to the hymnal. She couldn't wait the extra six weeks before the ward go their copies; she wanted it now. She sure didn't care that our ward budget was strained by her unnecessary copies, I bet she went through a whole case of paper. People didn't take them home, the copies ended up in the trash.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 06:37PM

At my present school, we get unimpeded use of the copier and a generous allotment of paper. That is rarely the case! I hope that your bishop allows for reasonable use and is merely trying to stop the copying of recipes and such.

Posted by: yup ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 06:42PM

This is just part of the copier saga typical (and not just in LDS wards, happens in offices and homes too). Cycle. Run out of toner at inauspcious time. Can't do what was planned. Have to buy the toner special. Introspection where is toner going (since the normal schedule usually means toner comes when it is needed, but not a long time before). So lots of efforts to identify the culprit who is printing their neighborhood associate cook book on the copier after hours, or the seminary teacher who printing lots of stuff for new students or maybe the school teacher whose principal told him to pay for his copy himself this year. Maybe caught, maybe not. Three weeks later, no one is writing down their copies in the library and no one is reminding them to do so.

Just the dang circle of life. (Would be easier if they installed a nanny cam to CATCH all the library shenanigans, but where would the fun be in that). You're just too young to appreciate it (or to have had to personally pay for the copier supplies, which tends to make you more responsible thereafter, and sometimes more patient with others.)

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 06:54PM

Most decent photocopiers now retain everything on their hard drive.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 07:06PM

Stray Mutt, thanks for the remark about the old timey copies! When I was a little kid in school, I thought it was so great when the teacher would give us those blue ink copies that were warm and smelled funky. (In a good sort of way!) Those were the days!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 07:34PM

Oh yeah -- all the kids would immediately lift the freshly made copies up to their noses to sniff them! Mimeograph machines were on the way out when I first entered the teaching profession, but I've made a few mimeos in my time.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 12:33AM

I used to run-off the sacrament programs on a mimeograph machine in the early to mid 1980s. Forgot about that thing.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 03:28AM

I loved the smell of copies fresh from the mimeograph machine when I was in elementary school. In the 6th grade, my seat was towards the back of the classroom, close enough to that machine that when the teacher made copies as we were working on something, I got that smell.

Back to the original topic, micromanaging the copier or printer is nothing new, as you sometimes see it in offices and other places, not just LDS buildings.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 02:42PM

When I was assigned to the mission office, one of my jobs was assembling and printing the monthly newsletter using a Gestetner machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestetner

It was a beast. You had to burn stencils on a spinning drum gadget, squeeze ink into reservoirs, adjust tensions... It was like being a press operator.

Being the arty type, I was always trying to do things the machine wasn't designed to do, like big photos and blocks of color. I wasted a LOT of ink and paper, not to mention "the Lord's time" trying to make the newsletter nicer.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 08:57PM

About 15 years ago when I was the ward librarian, I was responsible to shop for all the library supplies for the three wards in our building. From my experience, I can tell you that it is very costly to stock a library.

If I remember correctly, the ward spent several hundred dollars per month just on paper and other supplies like chalk, paperclips, crayons etc. In addition to the cost of supplies, the ward leased the copier which included a certain amount of toner that was delivered every month. We went through a tremendous amount of toner and had constant repairs on the copier. Most everything that leaves the library never comes back. I doubt that all the copies that were made by members were just for church use.

While it probably seems like your bishop is being nitpicky, he's probably just realizing that his library budget is dwindling very quickly.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2014 10:31AM by want2bx.

Posted by: Argonaut ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 10:57PM

Yes ofttimes the copiers are leased with a cost per page.

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 11:04PM

That is just Mormons acting normal.

Now if you had to have the priesthood to operate the copier that would be worth mentioning

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 11:40PM

https://screen.yahoo.com/richmeister-000000378.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2014 12:28AM by Helen.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 12:45AM

If they did like the guy in that clip, nobody would want to anything! He's too annoying!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 11:52PM

At work we had to key in and when our allotment was up, we were done.Paper and toner are exensive and the more use the copier has,the more often it has to be serviced. Besides, there are copy
Right considerations to think about.Some people make enough copies to paper the walls and use the copier regularly for personal things.It is usually necessary to regulate it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 11:53PM

PC load letter ?

WTF does THAT mean ?

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 02:32AM

Perhaps people were using it for personal and not church copying. I purchased a printer/fax/and copier combo for under $100 which does a great job. No more running to the copy shop or office supply for me.

Date: August 12, 2014 02:49AM

I have one too. It isn't suitable for big jobs like making worksheets for all my students, but it is great for small jobs and for pictures.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 08:41AM

They get you with a inexpensive printer because they are really going to get you with ink cost.

Check Amazon for ink bargains.

Date: August 12, 2014 08:42AM

That is true.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 01:11PM

Also eBay. Cartridges past expiration usually work perfectly and can be bought there for a small fraction of retail.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 12, 2014 03:50PM

Hubby will print out a bunch of stuff he doesn't need instead of just the part he does need. Drives me wild.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.