Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 05:53PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/08/20/3333668/dbsi-investors-testify-for-both.html?sp=/99/1687/&ihp=1

This guy is probably one of the worst people in the world. He was in the bishopric of my student ward back in the day and is good friends with my TBM dad.

He ripped people off and wiped people out financially and shows absolutely no remorse whatsoever. He took money all the way up to a couple days before declaring bankruptcy.

My mom was out to dinner with his wife a while back and she is adamant that he was completely innocent.

What's funny about it as well is that I just got off the phone with my dad (he was at the sentencing). He was really upset about Doug's wife's reaction.

He said "how can she be confronted with the facts over and over about how guilty he is and not see it, how can she still believe he's innocent when it has been proven over and over that he's a fraud."

This is a guy who I convinced to read the entire CES letter to help him understand my reasons for leaving. Who I've had numerous conversations with where I have pointed out issue and issue that prove that the church is a fraud, yet refuses to even consider the possibility that it might mot be true.

I sooooo wanted to point that out to him, but its pretty much hopeless at this point.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 06:01PM

It reminds me of the fate of another Mormon bishop, Shawn Merriman. Merriman ripped off his investors, many of whom were fellow ward members in a massive Ponzi scheme.

He is known as the "Mormon Madoff". He was featured in a CNBC television program in their "American Greed" series.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47881681

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 11:28PM

I don't know the stats but American Greed does a program on financial fraud. Some are Mormons. There are a bunch of them in prison.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 11:39PM

I know some guys in the Nampa-Meridian-Caldwell area...hope they didn't get screwed by this a-hole. Mormons preying on Mormons happens up here in Alberta too.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 11:45PM

Someone I know joined the Mormon cult despite my dire warnings to the contrary. Anyhow, since joining, she's also gotten involved with all sorts of MLM things. I hate to see this happen, as she's a single mom and can't afford to irresponsible with money.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: August 21, 2014 12:22AM

You should point it out to him. When your dad asks, point-blank, "How can she not see it;" that's the time to say, "I feel the same way about the CES letter and you. How can you not see it?" Sometimes asking someone to empathize with someone else is the way to wake someone up to their own blind spot. It's typical of Mormons that they'd criticize someone else for a trait they share with that person. Mormonism doesn't include a practical teaching that tells people that their environment, and the people within it, reflects their own attitudes. Thus, they project onto others. But sometimes, helping someone realize that, yes, they do exactly know how another person feels, even though the feeling doesn't make any sense, can allow the light of objectivity to seep in.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: August 21, 2014 12:43AM

Why should this surprise anyone? LD$ inc hasn't disclosed its finances since the early 1960s and these men are simply following the rip-off tactics of the GAs. And, haven't you all heard, God wants you to be rich. Ergo, be righteous and trust your church leaders and you,too, will be wealthy. The Boner.

Posted by: zaphodbeeblebrox ( )
Date: August 21, 2014 06:51AM

Parable of The Talents, Right ...

Ironically Enough, My GF's Take on That was Different ...

In her Opinion, The Punished Servant was Wrong Not for Being Lazy with The Money, But for Hiding it!

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: August 21, 2014 12:47AM

I grew up in a very wealthy suburb in Mesa, AZ. Most of our ward leadership ended up in prison for financial crimes in the late 90s - affinity fraud, fraudulent schemes, criminal theft, stealing money from old widows trusts, etc.

My in laws just filed bankruptcy this year from losing all their money to an MLM. They've done every MLM under the sun. Never have made any money but just can't resist the idea of getting rich quick. Sigh. That is one of the reasons they stay in the church. A readily available "warm market". I remember when my DH was laid off during the 2008 crash and getting hounded by ward members to join that MLM or that.

I feel that Mormonism just breeds this kind of behavior. Prosperity doctrine and all.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: August 21, 2014 01:51AM

goldenrule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I grew up in a very wealthy suburb in Mesa, AZ.
> Most of our ward leadership ended up in prison for
> financial crimes in the late 90s - affinity fraud,
> fraudulent schemes, criminal theft, stealing money
> from old widows trusts, etc.
>
> My in laws just filed bankruptcy this year from
> losing all their money to an MLM. They've done
> every MLM under the sun. Never have made any money
> but just can't resist the idea of getting rich
> quick. Sigh. That is one of the reasons they stay
> in the church. A readily available "warm market".
> I remember when my DH was laid off during the 2008
> crash and getting hounded by ward members to join
> that MLM or that.
>
> I feel that Mormonism just breeds this kind of
> behavior. Prosperity doctrine and all.

Did you know or know of Patrick and Peri Hammons by any chance?
http://images.edocket.azcc.gov/docketpdf/0000139967.pdf

Posted by: girlreclaimed ( )
Date: August 21, 2014 03:32AM

How the brethren does prey- my former TBM neighbor.....

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=18773626

Posted by: nonmoparents ( )
Date: August 21, 2014 08:40PM

I almost went to work for this company but decided against it once I knew that the principals were Mormon. I'm glad I trusted my gut instinct!

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: August 21, 2014 08:53PM

Anyone know if the guy nailed Tommie Monson or Boyd KKK or any of the other high poobahs?

Sure would be nice to see them get fleeced by one of their own.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: August 21, 2014 08:56PM

"If Wright had been living modestly, Waddoups said, he would have been more compassionate. But a $5 million home, $4 million in credit card expenses, $2.4 million for jewelry, furniture and artwork, $1.3 million in spending money for his wife and $850,000 LDS Church tithing, showed Wright was "robbing Peter to pay Paul."

L-d$,inc makes a big deal of not accepting tithing on gambling/lottery winnings. Will they refund the $850,000 donated from a proven FRAUD?

Posted by: exmo59 ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:59AM

$1.3 million?

Guess we know why the wife is in denial.

What is she going to do now?

Her whole world is blowing up. Shame and destitution.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:05AM

I thought Madoff has that honor.

Posted by: sue ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 02:09AM

How timely. Just this past weekend my former Bishop was FINALLY convicted of financial crime (wire fraud I think). Long and convuluted story. My ex and I knew he was dishonest 35 years ago, and his financial life was one scam after another -- all the while living high on the hog. He lost his attorney license at least 25 years ago. The judge received at least 45 letters from good LDSers, claiming that he was such a good guy, never cheated before, ad naseum. Court was packed with such people and his family, begging that he not go to jail. The judge apparently made fun of that, and sentenced him. What's even more interesting is that after he was Bishop, he served in the Stake Presidency with his childhood best friend, who appeared to be very wealthy also. One night while the city was slumbering he and his family high-tailed it out of town. The local paper ran a three-page article on his "crimes", about all the people he cheated and how he used his church membership to gain people's trust. He ran to Canada, and 5 years later he was a Bishop. Same story, different actors -- over and over and over again. It's a particularly noteworthy "illness" in Mormonism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.