Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 12:32PM

Same old story. I'm going to tell it because it shows, once again, that this really is how it is. If this happens to you, you're not imagining things. You really are being treated like you're contagious.

I went to the grocery store last night. While there I saw a couple that was in the ward I left 3 years ago. They practically broke their necks trying to turn their head the other way so fast.

I went right by the aisle they were in. I didn't know these people at all. They were just a couple that went to my ward. That's it.

A couple of aisles later they turned the corner to come toward me, realized what they'd done, and quickly turned around to get out of the aisle. Now it was starting to get comical.

I stopped by the beer cooler to see if DH had made up his mind yet about which beer to buy. Not yet. In the meantime, here they come again. Just in time to see DH plop a case of beer into the cart. Those two spun on a dime! They practically ran to the back of the store. I wanted to play this game a little more, but didn't have time. I checked out and went to my car. While putting groceries in car the mo's came out of the store. They saw me and stood by the door not moving until I drove away.

Those people are certified cuckoo. What did they think I was going to do? Sit on their chest and force beer down their throat? I can guarantee you they will make a testimony meeting out of our non contact. They're the crazy ones who get up every single F&T to tell a faith promoting story. This one will be how they dodged satan at the grocery store.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 12:39PM

Certified cuckoo is right.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 12:44PM

I've been waiting for something like that to happen. But, nope.

They see me, I smile, I talk to LDS people I know, in the grocery store, etc., and we have a very nice visit. Good to see you, how are you, How many grand kids to you have now, I ask. The last time, I asked that, the man couldn't remember!! LOL

No shunning....yet!

It's been 16 years, I moved, maybe they don't know, or forgot!

Many came to our 50th wedding anniversary (drove a hour or more), also, many came my husbands funeral and were wonderful to me.

So, maybe I live in the wrong are? What? No shunning? Hmmm...

Sorry you had that experience. It is odd.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 12:48PM

Perhaps you give off a different vibe than others to the Mormons about Mormonism. I think that might be the case.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 12:53PM

Perhaps it helped that your husband was still a believer.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:04PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps it helped that your husband was still a
> believer.

Because we moved, I wonder if all of them knew I had left the church. I've known some of these people since the 70's. Maybe that's it. I don't know. I do know I am outgoing and friendly and that may be it.

Also, my husband had not been seen in church in years because of health issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 02:16PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 12:46PM

I would be tempted to go up to them and say, "You don't have to worry. My physician said the Ebola has completely cleared my system, and I am no longer contagious."

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 12:54PM

My shunning happens with a very prominent member of the stake presidency. Ditto your experience at the market with him. Funny thing us that he does the same behavior with normal, non-royalty types in our ward. Boner.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:01PM

Wow thats so childish of them to do that. I'm really

Lucky in that I live in Southern California and every time I

see a mormon that I was in the ward with they always come up

to me and say hi. I wonder if its just the exmo's who live

in Utah that go through the shunning?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:18PM

I live in a small community in Washington.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:26PM

madalice Wrote:
> I live in a small community in Washington.

I'm so sorry Madalice.... they really sound like awful people.

Doesn't it just make you all more happier because you're out?

Yikes.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:09PM

Worse are the lousy mormons who won't let their children play with non-mormon kids in their neighborhoods and schools.

An old friend in West Jordan, Utah had a mutual friend buy a piece of land for him as he knew the local Bishop of the ward would not sell it to him.

The sale took place and then Mahonri Faber, the friend took possession after a quick 'deeding' it to him. He built a small chapel for his congregation. The Bishop accosted him a number of times and really lit into him while telling him he would never have sold it to a non-mormon and how dishonest Mahonri was for doing this. That bishop made sure his and other lds kids in the neighborhood were forbidden to play with Mahonri's kids and any of the children who attended the small church.

Real christian types, aren't they?

This kind of shunning is only too prevalent in Utah and even outside the main mormon infection locations.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:23PM

I'm in the camp that believes it's not a punishment to be "shunned" by assholes. It sounds like that's what these very rude people actually are.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 03:43PM

Posted by: Son of Abraham ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 04:21PM

A number of years ago, I told my sister-in-law that I was not seeing the church in the same eyes I once did.

The next week in Church she bore her testimony and how sad she was at my loss of testimony.

I heard about this later, but the effect was immediate. I had gone to a soccer match (my son's) and all the Mormons moved away from me and avoided any contact. No more Mormon friends.

This same person denounced me at a family reunion as not being a very nice person and mean as a child. The rest of my family just sat there -- silent agreement. No more Mormon family.

-------------

Oh well. Shunning is a very cruel thing to do, but apparently is common among those with strong beliefs that require conformity. Mormon, JW's, Amish, orthodox jews, etc... And the Muslims feel justified in killing you. Maybe shunning is evolutionary progress.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 05:54PM

I have had the same thing happen to me so many times! I left 12 years ago and I have had people I was "friends" with (went out to lunch, kids played together, went out to dinner as couples, etc.) pretend they didn't see me at the grocery store, home depot, you name it. Unfortunately my kids also experienced the same loss of friends, which was a lot tougher to deal with.

At first I just went along with it but the past few years I've been feeling quite contrary. I refuse to allow them their illusions and I refuse to allow LDS weirdness to impact one single area of my life any more. When I see someone I used to know in a place where it's natural to say "hey" to acquaintances, I walk right up and say, "hi, how have you been? Me, oh I'm great, family is good, career is fantastic, couldn't be happier. Nice to see you, have a great day."

The slightly stunned and confused look on their faces as I walk away is my reward and, yes, I am petty enough to enjoy it.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 06:29PM

The TBMest part of my family shunned an entire state--California. They all moved to the St. George reich in southern Utah. Conform early, conform often is their motto.

Posted by: canadianwoman ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 06:38PM

To me it would be more stressful being the one doing the shunning. Constantly having to be vigilant for bad Mormons... I have much better things to occupy my mind and time with.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 09:10PM

These shunners shall never meet Christ (probably wouldn't recognize him if they saw him) and surely don't act like they are following him, but a mortal named Mormon. What good does that do? And who do they practice this on. Surely not the least of these.

Talk about losing out on blessings. What are they afraid of? The shadow of Mormonism.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 10:12PM

Pure fucking evil is shunning. I have a very dear friend who is the black sheep of an old order Mennonite family and a finer more compassionate person you will never meet, and he is actively shunned by his family.

Ron Burr

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 10:15PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
> Pure fucking evil is shunning.

Perfectly expressed, Ron! Boner.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 11:04PM

I was never shunned...at least no knowingly, after I quit going to church and married a Catholic. That may be because I don't live in the S. Alberta Moridor (but I can smell it from here) or because of the fact my parents were beloved by all and larger contributors to the cult. My doctor, dentist and pharmacist are all TBM's, 2 are bishops but may not know of my having resigned.

Ron Burr

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 10:23PM

Funny thing is I was shunned even when I attended, but it got worse when I left. Now the weird thing is some of them try very hard to get my attention and say hi when they see me at the store. They had their chance. I just shake my head. Weirdos!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 10:23PM by wastedtime.

Posted by: DWaters ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 10:24AM

The sad reality is that those folks are just not your friends. I experienced that myself. Your friendship to former ward and stake members is largely dependent on your faithfulness. That's why when you leave the church, they may speak to you and converse, but make no mistake, they do so with pity in their hearts. Think of it like speaking to someone with a deadly disease...that's how they look at you.
What's even stranger is that since I've been remarried and so happy, I'm beginning to get friend requests from old church associates. I don't accept them, I've been way happier without them. I've connected with family and real friends on a much deeper level. And to be honest, some of this real friends are LDS, but they took the time to really know me, and I them. I've enjoyed getting rid of the shunners and I don't miss them at all. I wish them the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 10:24AM by muddyw1071.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.