Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brook ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:07PM

Invited to a mormon wedding reception at a Wheeler Farm for a young couple. I believe the girl is 19! Anyway, what can I expect in regards to what to wear, food, entertainment... Dancing? I'm surprised the invitation lists the event as lasting only TWO hours? Maybe we should eat before.

Any good Mormon wedding stories out there? I've never been to one.

ETA: I forgot to mention that we weren't even invited to the actual wedding. What's even weirder is that the wedding isn't until the next day! So we will be celebrating an event that has not happened yet. Is this common around here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 02:18PM by brook.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:11PM

I'd call someone that you know is going and ask some questions.

Mormon receptions can run the gamut. I've been to some that were very elaborate, catered-lots of food, hired DJ, dancing, etc.

Others are simple: receiving line, cutting the cake, no meal, no dancing.

If it's outdoors it's usually more informal. Although, most LDS men would be in a suit and tie and women in a dress.

Indoors, a dress, or suit or more professional attire.

Often, if it's short, it's because they have have to make an airline flight, or get to another event, or something else. Or the venue is only rented for 2 hours. Hard to know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 02:12PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 09:51AM

"Others are simple: receiving line, cutting the cake, no meal, no dancing."

The mormon guys all looked like they were going to church. No inviduality.

The one I went to had no food, some drinks (non-alcoholic of course)
and was at 6:00 on a Thurs, after work.

There was a build your own ice-cream sunday bar which would have been appropriate for a 9yr old's birthday party

Posted by: FormerLDSGirl ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 11:08PM

Hello! While many Mormon receptions are very short and simple others are like any other wedding. Dress code is very important though. A good note is to wear what you would wear to church. It is very unlikely that you will be involved or invited inside of a temple for the marriage ceremony if you are not a Mormon. My family have a tradition to go more or less hang out in the temple grounds until the newly wed couple comes out of the temple. But, to know for sure, it's always best to ask the people who are hosting the reception to know exactly what is going to happen.

Posted by: Kwestgroot ( )
Date: February 26, 2019 09:38AM

THAT WOULD BE SO INSULTING to any guest to ‘hang outside’ the wedding!!! Yes, Mormons believe they have the ONLY true Christianity....not Christian!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:12PM

There will probably be a reception line and no dancing. I would not expect a meal. Most Utah receptions are cake and punch.Most people will dress up(dressy,but not evening attire) but you may find a few in very casual attire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 02:13PM by bona dea.

Date: August 23, 2014 02:16PM

So it's probably not meant as a fun evening to enjoy the couple and their friends/family? Cake and punch... Why bother? Just kidding. But seriously, if it appears lame, we will just drop off our gift and go to a nice dinner. No use getting dressed up for nothing.

Date: August 24, 2014 09:54AM

For the mormon-themed wedding/reseption I went to, myself and others, left and went to a mexican place to eat dinner, since no food was served

Date: August 23, 2014 02:18PM

As Susie Q said,it could be different. Some depends on the finances of the parents.If they are well off,you can expect more.

Date: August 23, 2014 02:21PM

Is it here?

http://www.wheelerfarm.com/

Hmmm, didn't show they have wedding venues.

Must be a local farm, that it? There is no city named Wheeler in UT. Or is this another state?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 02:28PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: August 24, 2014 12:01AM

Yes,it is in Murray. I didnt know they do weddings either,but they do have a lovely old farmhouse.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 09:49AM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it here?
>
> http://www.wheelerfarm.com/
>
>
> Hmmm, didn't show they have wedding venues.
>
> Must be a local farm, that it? There is no city
> named Wheeler in UT. Or is this another state?

Under Rental they have this:

Wheeler Historic Farm is an ideal location for your special event, wedding, retreat or meeting.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:23PM

MOST LDS wedding receptions are pretty lame. They often only have cake and punch. No dinner. No assigned seating. No dancing or music. Basically what happens is the bride and groom stand in the front of the room as people form a line to shake their hands and congratulate them.

You just stand around chatting with whoever as you drink your punch and eat your cake. After an hour or two people start to get bored and make their way out.

Not that some Mormons don't have a regular fun reception with music, dancing and dinner, but I wouldn't count on it. I would try to get some info on it otherwise you will end up STARVING for two hours.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:26PM

Oh yeah, they are often very informal. People don't often dress up. Many people show up in dockers or jeans with no ties. I would still dress up, because you should! but don't be surprised if most are in just in their khackis.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:29PM

Most Mormon wedding receptions are informal, and just have cake and punch, so I would suggest eating lunch or dinner before going to the reception.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 02:29PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Anon382848 ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 08:41PM

Wheeler Farm is in the Midvale/Fort Union area around 900 E near I-215 and yes they host wedding gigs. Been to a wedding there.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 08:47PM

It's likely not to be as good as something you'd expect in West Virginia. Think low class.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 08:51PM

If it's in the cultural hall, dress up like Mormon's do for church on Sunday. In the park, a little more casual. Do not show skin though, you will feel like a pariah. If it's at someone's house or a country club and they don't say how to dress on the invitation (i.e., formal, semi-formal, business casual); see if you can get for info, if not, just go with the "church" outfit. That will pretty much get you through any Mormon social occasion.

Don't expect much, Mormon wedding receptions are not exactly big time parties, even the formal ones.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 08:53PM

Yes, I feel very confident with the guidelines above having been raised LDS and gone to dozens of LDS receptions at various locals. Go with the park look for this one and plan something more fun for after. : )

Posted by: Kcal ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 11:39PM

Mormon receptions = expensive gift drop off

Posted by: txnevermo ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 09:56AM

How weird that it's before the wedding. I've never heard of that. I guess a lot of our gifts were sent before we got married, but what are you celebrating if they aren't even married yet?

Date: August 24, 2014 11:33AM

Exactly! Maybe they want to have sex as soon as possible after the temple thing. Why waste time and be distracted with a silly reception. they've found a way to make the marriage even more about having sex.

My husband said they'll probably serve nut cups and jello. We plan to make a dinner reservation and haul out of there soon after dropping off the gift -surely the reason we were invited.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: March 02, 2019 06:26PM

I have an employee who was LDS (now inactive though not resigned) who once attended a reception on a Thursday at a nice local hotel; sit-down dinner was included. She said one reason was to obtain better midweek rates, rather than pay premium rates for a Saturday reception, in particular when most of the guests can't attend the reception anyway.

Hotel ballrooms that are busy Fri-Sat-Sun with charity and life events often sit unused Mon-Thurs. If doing this enabled the family to provide a nicer reception on Thursday than what would have been financially within reach on a weekend, no big deal.

Have also heard of midweek sealings rather than on Saturday, especially if most of the sealing list guests live nearby. Most Judeo-Christian weddings are on weekends, in deference to the needs of the guests, all of whom are expected to attend the ceremony AND the reception.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 06:34PM by PtLoma.

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 10:17AM

The wedding is the next day?
Is it in the temple? or?

I would just dress to go out to a nice dinner place .... after the reception. Just stop by and deliver the gift and say best wishes....can't really congratulate them yet. ;)

Be sure and post an update after this 2 hour event.

They may have candies & peanuts too.....cake & punch for sure.

What time is this event to take place? Make your own fun plans for before or after.....

KJ/AnonyMs

Date: August 24, 2014 10:56AM

Yes, the marriage vows (can you call it that?) are the next day at the SL temple. So two hour reception on Friday and temple on Saturday. It's all very strange to me. The couple won't even go home together after the reception. They'll be like, "bye, meet you at the temple tomorrow!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 11:28AM by brook.

Posted by: Spencer_Kimballs ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 12:17PM

I don't go Mormon receptions. Not invited to their weddings, count me out on the receptions. Simply. Not. Interested.

Their private only exclusive weddings are illegal in most European countries where the declaration and vows must be public.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 12:22PM

It sounds more like one of the meet-and-greet types of receptions, although I've never heard of a reception happening before the wedding. That's weird. It's a new one on me.

Anyway, you just sort of drop in and greet the new couple and there may be snacks. But their still could be sandwiches or something.

I agree with SusieQ#1. I'd call someone part of the organizing of the event and ask them what to expect. Just explain that you're not sure what to expect and you just wanted to make sure that you dressed appropriately and if you should eat beforehand.

If you just explained that you're not sure what to expect, then I'm sure they'd be happy to answer your questions.

Date: August 24, 2014 12:37PM

Ok, so I called a close friend of the bride and expressed my concerns. Turns out dress is anything goes and there will be people in their Sunday best as well as khakis/more informal attire. She said to plan on our own dinner before or after, and that there will be strawberry shortcake and fruit salad available.

The reason for the ceremony the next day is so the couple can focus on the sealing and the sacredness of the day, as well as each other, and then leave for a hotel at some honeymoon suite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 12:37PM by brook.

Date: August 24, 2014 06:39PM

There is a new trend among some of the younger generation thta I have read about to do a fun reception before or after the temple sealing and include much of the traditional parts of a wedding that is showing up from time to time in the LDS Church.
Sometimes it's a way to include more of their non LDS family and friends.

Give us an update? OK?

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 12:30AM

brook Wrote:

> The reason for the ceremony the next day is so the
> couple can focus on the sealing and the sacredness
> of the day, as well as each other, and then leave
> for a hotel at some honeymoon suite.

What bunch of malarky.

Date: August 24, 2014 08:47PM

I will definitely post an update next week. Perhaps you are correct and there will be dancing and a good time!

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 11:48PM

Typical Mormon receptions are lame. But the temple marriage ceremony is lame too.

Bride's dress covered up by the weird temple gown. Groom wearing a weird outfit with a baker's hat. No music, no flowers, no dad proudly walking his daughter down the aisle (no parents at all if they aren't worthy Mormons), no ring exchange, no personal vows, no pictures, and no mention of love, honor, or cherish.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 12:30AM

Little food if any and the whole thing about having the reception prior to the matter is totally absurd.

And if you weren't invited to the ceremony in the

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 26, 2019 10:54AM

It's been a few years since we last attended a TBM mormon reception; I wonder if they still serve that special frothy punch made of sherbet and sprite? That, along with the sacrament cup sized cup of mixed nuts?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 26, 2019 12:03PM

I've been told that it's greatly appreciated if you shout Pay Lay Ale three times during the toast. It's the Mormon way of saying God be with you. If anyone comes over to you that is visibly upset, then pantomime that you're slashing your throat. Members have been conditioned by that visual cue as a way to back-off and chill. :D

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 26, 2019 12:31PM

messygoop Wrote:
> I've been told that it's greatly appreciated if you shout Pay Lay Ale three times

Ha ha Messy you are trying to get them in trouble!

I'm guessing the invitation specified "two hours" at Wheeler Farm because from their website that is the minimum time allowed to rent the hall. So they are spending $200 on the venue and want to make sure everyone is out so they don't have to pay for any overage on their time. I'm guessing you will go in, drop off the gift, be handed something on a plate and encouraged to quickly go on your way!

I am looking forward to a complete update when you return!!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 26, 2019 12:52PM

The reception was 5 years ago. A complete update now is highly unlikely.

Wheeler Farm is still there, and is a lovely venue. Beats using the cultural hall, and putting crepe paper around the basketball hoops

Date: February 26, 2019 02:43PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> The reception was 5 years ago. A complete update now is highly unlikely.

Aha! You're right! This is a very old post, wonder why it all of a sudden got on the first page???

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 01:31AM

What are the odds that they are still married?

Or still mormon!

Posted by: blacksheep1 ( )
Date: February 28, 2019 08:04PM

I never understood the basketball hoops. For decades, those things have been retractable, so what classless nitwit leaves them out? Í've seen them post-weddings and (undecorated) post-funerals.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 26, 2019 01:31PM

I'd wear something on the dressy side and plan to go out for dinner after a short visit. If the reception turns out to have food and music, I might cancel the later dinner plan, but this is unlikely.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 27, 2019 12:15AM

"we will be celebrating an event that has not happened yet. Is this common [in Mormonism]?"

Yes.

Mormonism celebrates the truth... and that hasn't happened yet either.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 27, 2019 02:24PM

It's hard to say. Show us the budget and then we can have are more informed opinion on what to expect.

Posted by: rosysam ( )
Date: February 28, 2019 08:19PM

I have found Mormon wedding receptions and Mormon funerals to be on in the same.

Posted by: blacksheep1 ( )
Date: February 28, 2019 08:32PM

They usually are for the women, at least.

Date: March 02, 2019 12:03AM

Ha!

Date: March 02, 2019 08:32AM

Advice: Don't go, but if you have/need to, don't plan on staying long.
If you want to stay long, socialize, etc, and need to "deal" with a large group of "celebrating mormons", bring a flask w/vodka because they won't smell the vodka on your breath..

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 02, 2019 12:44PM

As a gift, always bring a nice bottle of high-grade Chianti.

Date: April 09, 2019 05:37PM

Hi! I'm still here! Been around since 2002/3. The wedding was beautiful and a nice time. There was dancing and a good DJ. I wore what I'd wear to church if I were a mormon. There wasn't a full meal, but some personal touches that were nice. I probably wouldn't go to another mormon wedding. I did feel strange that the two getting married were kids and their friends were kids. All very juvenile behavior it seemed

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 07:02PM

Thanks for the report, Brook! I find it strange that couples have their reception before the wedding. But I'm somewhat old fashioned about that.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 07:04PM

I don't think that was normal in Mormon culture. Every one that I attended occurred after the wedding and or sealing.

Posted by: catholicrebel ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 12:12PM

I’ve seen really elaborate weddings where the couple is sealed in the Temple and those who can’t go in, wait outside and all cheer when the couple comes out. A reception follows with cake, dancing, food, like it’s really a jam up party without the alcohol of course. Some even have a little ring ceremony because you can’t exchange rings in the Temple. Some are outside, others in a reception hall. Then there’s some that are really low key. It might just be food and mingling. My friend had to wait 6 years before they could get sealed. They were married by a Protestant pastor because they had been both excommunicated at the time because they had made love to each other outside of marriage and before his divorce was finalized. They confessed it and were excommunicated and then came back to TSCC and got sealing clearances and were sealed. Their wedding was really low key. Married outside, no music, just the cutting of cake and popping open some sparkling grape juice and everyone went home. Wear church attire regardless because that’s what TSCC expects no matter how or wear they are married or what kind of reception they have.

Date: April 13, 2019 10:01PM

Hey there catholicrebel,

This wedding and post were from 2014, resurrected a month ago by an apologist. I think it is far too late to give the OP advice on what to wear!!! ;)

Posted by: catholicrebel ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 11:10PM

Those darn minions! :-p I didn’t notice at all. Darn. Welcome intruder. Haha.

Date: April 14, 2019 11:17PM

catholicrebel Wrote:
> Those darn minions! :-p I didn’t notice at all.
> Darn. Welcome intruder. Haha.

Yeah. When it was first resurrected I answered it too and somebody told me the date. Ah well you gave good advice anyway for what it’s eorth!!! :)

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 03:12PM

fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 03:14PM by lulu.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 09:41AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 09:44AM

Wheeler Farm ? WTF ? You can't even bring your basketball.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.