Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: duskus ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 11:58PM

I respect john and I think his intentions are to improve tolerance within the Morg and I think his inevitable excommunication will aid in gaining momentum for change. I do however think that when you entertain and support ideas which are contrary to that of the "Devine leadership" well at that point your kind of a troll. John is an extremely brave individual and I like that he is trolling it really is a win win situation for him regardless of his end fate. I say let the morg be the morg though. The issue with the church isn't just the fact that it's misogynistic and racist it's that it claims to be true and to be inspired by the lard. Take away all those claims and the morg has less of an inspired mission than the Salvation Army. Give an inch and lose a mile

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 12:14AM by duskus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 12:09AM

John Dehlin was excommunicated? I thought he was only disciplined.

Date: August 28, 2014 12:13AM

I didn't mean to imply that he was exed although it seems likely to happen as he in my opinion has shown little respect or discretion in keeping the hearings to himself. Can they do anything but ex him at this point.

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 04:27PM

I dont see a good reason as to why he needs to keep the hearings to himself.. I thhink its great that hes making these things public. The only reason a hearing like that should be kept private is to protect the privacy of the person involved in the hearing. And he doesnt feel the need for that protection, so no need for privacy.
Sacred, not secret.

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 12:19AM

The Catholic church used to excommunicate dissenters too. Dehlin's hope is that the Mormon church can speed up past the middle ages. To do what the Catholic church did over thousands of years in a only matter of decades.

It's still an open question if Mormonism can get past the dark ages at all.

Posted by: SuperBigGulp ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 10:31AM

"John is an extremely brave individual and I like that he is trolling it really is a win win situation for him regardless of his end fate."

Why is John "an extremely brave individual?"

Firemen, police officers, and solders in the US military are extremely brave individuals. What makes John Dehlin extremely brave?

Date: August 28, 2014 02:10PM

It takes balls to claim membership to the morg, then go against the infallible leadership opening yourself up to what I can only assume is crappy treatment, mean looks and ostracizing from your leadership and fellow members.

Jumping into a burning building, firing a gun at some poor extremist bastard in his bombed out miserable country, and patrolling the streets are not the only ways to show bravery. In fact Id say a lot of people have a harder time being brave by standing up for what they believe in right. John is standing up for what is right and at the same time it is kind of a dick move. Everyone org even the morg has a right to be as wrong as they want to be. Move on John, let the morg be what it is, in changing it you would be making it into something else.

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 02:14PM

subversive, a delightful one perhaps, but a subversive nevertheless. I suspect at his core he is an unbeliever.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 12:13PM

He says on his website that he's not a believer. He enjoys his membership, thinks some of the tradition and ritual is nice, etc..., but he does not believe in the restoration, prophets, etc...

Posted by: Boyd K Pecker ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 03:40PM

The Morg is still smarting from the Kate Kelly fiasco. They really got a black eye for that misstep.

So, TSCC is not quite sure what to do with John. Remember -- he was supposed to have his kangaroo court in early June. But nothing has happened yet. Why is that?

Obviously, the thing TSCC cares about most is its image in the public square. They do not want more bad press. And because John happens to support a very politically popular cause -- LGBT rights -- the Morg has to tread very lightly.

I say his Stake will put him on probation or disfellowship him, thereby hoping to avoid the wrath of the national media but marginalizing him, nonetheless, amongst TSCC members.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 11:38PM

So, without disagreeing.

Please share the evidence of a black eye.

One of the key issues with diseenting from Mormonism and then engaging them is how to hold them accountable.

It is an incredibly squishy belief system with a wanting membership. The most simple of spins and they are satisfied.

An accountable, solid, and damaged Mormon chuch. How does that manifest. How are they ever held accountable?

I sincerely do not know if they ever have a black-eyew, they are more gost than flesh.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 03:45PM

I don't know him, I've listened to his interviews and such. My impression is that he likes the attention and expects to benefit in terms of perhaps writing a book or in terms of hosting workshops ($$$) to help de-program people who leave. His profession and degree are psychology/counseling, as I understand it. Otherwise his insights are no different than mine or yours. He just is always in the print media, and I think he likes it.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 11:30PM

Wait- he is very different from you and me because we learned the truth and then, in whatever time frame suited us, we left the group we felt were disingenuous.

John Dehlin says he likes the "culture" but we know that the Mormon church has had the fun sucked out of it by the businessmen who now run it. They treat the members like digits and the members feel it.

What can he possibly like, I ask? The candles? The stained glass windows? The sense of sacred space? The quiet? The cleanliness and refuge offered at all hours of day or night? The food? The dances? The parties? The roadshows? All gone.

Can it be the inspirational speeches? No. The inspiring architecture? The educational teachings in history? No.

There really is little of good report left in this religion becoming more Puritanical (photoshop those sleeves in there, make sure the arm crotch is well covered) as the rest of the country loosens up.

I think John is witty and has carved himself a unique niche, not unlike Stephen Colbert. He is a "personality" who can say what others are thinking but afraid to say. His niche is being ruined by the pressure put on him by exmormons and his recent identification as one who doesn't believe but still wants to stay.

He embarrasses the church because he has check-mated them. As long as he pays, he stays says that they are only after the money and don't care whether he is a believer or not. On the other hand, if they discipline him or (gasp) excommunicate him, they are seen as not allowing free speech and being heavy handed toward one who was seeking normal internal change like happens in every other church around the world.

It delights me that he has put them in this awkward position but I see him moving out of it to inherit the insider niche as the heir of Grant Palmer.

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: September 04, 2014 01:08AM

Very well-put (as always).

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 09:26PM

I for one am glad to see Mr. Dehlin posting here occasionally. I have had harsh words for him in the past, but after watching some of his stuff, and his recent...issues, I don't understand his position, but I have a lot of respect for him.

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 09:44PM

He has been as explicit as physically possible about his beliefs. Not sure why so many question what he has repeated over and over publicly.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 09:58PM

He has been consistent recently. He's an unequivocal non-believer.

However, 6-12 months ago he got up and gave a blubbering testimony. I don't recall what he said. He probably wasn't saying the church was true, etc., but he embarrassed himself. So, people who saw that might question what he's all about.

But, go to "About" on mormon stories. He calls the church a fraud, but in a nice way.

Date: September 02, 2014 09:07PM

I listened to that testimony podcast. I thought it was good. It showed a man who was truly conflicted and hurt. I do not think any sane person should stay in the church. But i understand where he is coming from.
And i think, possibly part of why he is so conflicted is that the church has changed quite a bit in his lifetime. From talking to other people, i have found that church used to actually be fun, and not quite as restrictive. Its just a mental concentration camp now :/ and i say that seriously.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 09:29PM

To hell in a handbasket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do not think any sane person
> should stay in the church.

I see a possible loophole here that could allow JD to stay.

Date: September 03, 2014 11:53AM

Now, now :)

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 10:04PM

I think he's sincere and just by the nature of what he does, is a lot more open about his journey than what most people would do.

Lots of people criticize him for not quitting TSSC, but I get the sense that he really believes there is positive in it which if changed can be beneficial.

It's a completely different viewpoint than mine. I never felt any particular comforting spirit within Mormonism, even when I was growing up as a uber-TBM. Nor did I feel any particularly closeness with other members, especially as I got older.

The further I get away from Mormonism, the less I feel the need for black and white thinking, that people must ether be 100% for or against.

As a angry, bitter ex-Mormon, I love the JDs and KKs. I think they are much more beneficial in helping other people's shelves collapse. I just don't think that John is doing it intentionally as a troll.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 11:08PM

John has shown genuine integrity, for what he believes. Also, what many others believe. He can influence change from within the organization, much greater than from the outside. My family and I stand behind him even though others on both ends don't understand the devotion.

Date: September 02, 2014 09:07PM

^well said

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 02, 2014 09:44PM

You know what he believes?

The same thing most posters here think. John Dehlin thinks Joseph Smith was a fraud. Period. Go read the About page on mormon stories. He leaves no doubt.

In fact, I've often wondered if John Dehlin hates the mormon church far more than anyone who posts here. He's just hell bent on sharing the truth with mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2014 09:46PM by thingsithink.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 11:59AM

Exactly. He doesn't believe at all.

Sometimes I wonder what his motives are. I know he likes the culture, but he has a lot of problems with the church. Is his goal to spread the truth to help people out of the church, or to stay in?

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 10:05PM

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: September 04, 2014 03:40PM

Ah, thanks!

I like the guy, and I like the work he's doing. He's made it easier for those that question and doubt and want to leave/have left, and easier for those that question and doubt and want to stay in. It's telling that we have exmo and TBM friends that will listen to and discuss his podcasts.

The reason I wonder what his motives are is obviously it's taken an enormous amount of time and energy and never ending dedication to interviewing/discussing/writing all things Mormon. Just thinking about and reading this board exhausts me sometimes; I get sick and tired of thinking about and talking about Mormon stuff. Sometimes I need a break from discussing mormon issues - as new exmos it's still on our minds a lot. Thankfully it's becoming easier, we're quickly transitioing into a "normal" life, and there have actually been days when I don't think about my mormon past and how it's affected me.

Posted by: Wandering ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 01:06PM

Why can't people just get over having to analyze and trash John Dehlin. He has made an amazing contribution to bringing the truth out and giving voice to so many important stories like Hans and Birgitta Matson, Tom Phillips, Bill Bradshaw, the Danzigs, the Prince family, Christine Jeppsen Clark, Brent Metcalf, Simon Southerton and so many more. Why do people have to spend their time trying to drive people like John Dehlin off the internet. These people contribute nothing but find it so fun to attack the motives of those who contribute so much. It happens over and over with the people who dare to put their name and reputation out there to make a difference. If you aren't really contributing anything, then why not just leave alone the ones who do. So many interesting and intelligent people have been driven off the boards with the constant attacks about their reasons or whether they are attention seekers, etc. that the boards just become more boring and the church is helped. Whether you like John Dehlin or not, no one has brought more pressure on the church to change than he and the people he interviews. There is no one like him out there right now that has the pull to talk to the most important people in the real story of Mormonism, so let's give the guy a break.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 01:19PM

Wandering Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whether you like
> John Dehlin or not, no one has brought more
> pressure on the church to change than he and the
> people he interviews.

And this is a recommendation how for people wanting to recover from it?

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 01:40PM

It looks like his pretty wife goes out of her way to show that she doesn't wear garments. and him hanging out in family pictures with his wife in sun dresses and stuff seems to show that he goes out of his way to show that they don't practice the garment stuff.

Posted by: Wandering ( )
Date: September 03, 2014 05:19PM

Elder Berry,
Maybe I didn't really say what I meant with that sentence.
Try this. Whether you like John Dehlin or not, no one has done more to expose the true nature of the church through providing a place where fascinating people in and out of the church have felt safe to tell their stories and for me that has been a fantastic source of healing and recovery, and by far the best thing that I was able to get my TBM wife to listen to, which finally helped her to see what I was talking about and save our marriage.
He gets people like Hans Matson to give him several hours and really put the truth out there and TBM's and the church have no answer for it because it is just simple, beautiful truth. We need it to continue so that more of my family members can eventually wake up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.