Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 06:50PM

OMG. Please look at...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Miracle-Forgiveness-Spencer-Kimball/dp/0884944441/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411511830&sr=8-1&keywords=the+miracle+of+forgiveness

Then click on the "look inside" button on the top of the photo of the book. A portion of the book will come up conveniently starting at "preface". Don't be fooled. Scroll up. The legalese reads...

"This work is not an official publication of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The views expressed herein are the responsibility of the author and do not necessarily represent the position of the church or Deseret Book".

Bloody well tell that to my bishop and give me the love of my life back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck this whore of a damn church!! Do you have any idea what I lost because of this book? Do you know the experiences I denied myself because of this book? This book was scripture because it came out of the damn, filthy, gay hating mouth of a damn "prophet". This book was as real as the damn BoM. Do you have any idea what GUILT and SHAME people in church have had over sex, sex, sex, gay sex, oral sex, missionary sex, pre marital sex, any sex, masturabation...ALL BECAUSE SPENCER KIMBALL WAS A DAMN PROPHET! Not just some random "author".

I'm so pissed about this. Do you know how many marriages have failed because women have never ever been able to allow themselves to be sexual...at all...whatsoever because of this book and the prevailing atmosphere in church because of this crap?

How many gay kids have killed themselves over this poison????

Anointedone...I don't know where you are...but damn if you didn't get these blowhard liars and thieves to now discredit everything they ever said! WELL DONE! THANK YOU!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 08:36PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 06:59PM

Spencer Kimball was a deeply repressed man who somehow convinced himself that since he was the "prophet," everyone else should be deeply repressed as well. He had a very high opinion of himself and his point of view. In his mind, it was the only correct and morally upright point of view. It never seemed to dawn on him for even a second that he could be mistaken.

Because TBMs turn off their critical thinking abilities when it comes to the prophet, and there is "no evil speaking of the Lord's anointed," Spencer Kimball's views poisoned thousands of people and ruined many, many marriages. Perhaps if there is such a thing as reincarnation, and karma, Mr. Kimball needs to come back as a trained and certified sex therapist.

This is what happens when you highly venerate people solely due to their position.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:04PM

summer Wrote, in part:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spencer Kimball's views poisoned thousands of
> people and ruined many, many marriages. Perhaps if
> there is such a thing as reincarnation, and karma,
> Mr. Kimball needs to come back as a trained and
> certified sex therapist.
========================================
Nah. I think he needs to come back as a woman.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:08PM

Okay, a female sex therapist. :)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:34PM

summer Wrote:
> Okay, a [MORMON] female sex ["addicted"] therapist. :)

Don't believe anything written by a professional Mormon. Ever. _Don Bagley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 07:36PM by mormonomore.

Date: September 23, 2014 07:02PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:04PM

Kimball's autobiography is easily the worst I've ever read. He comes across as a cowardly weasel, and that's in his own words. Don't believe anything written by a professional Mormon. Ever.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:09PM

I lived for a while in Safford, AZ where Kimball worked and raised his family. I drove by his old home every day. The one thing I can tell you is that a majority of the town folks held a low opinion of him unless they were TBMs. He made most of his living as a bill collector.

When I was TBM, I looked up Safford on Wikipedia. Strangely, Kimball wasn't mentioned. I righteously set about correcting that by inserting a little Kimball blurb in there. It was promptly deleted, probably by someone from Safford.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 07:11PM by rationalist01.

Posted by: Need to be anon this time ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:58PM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:11PM

The book was written by the Mormon church's PROPHET OF GOD THE ONE AND ONLY MOUTHPEICE OF THE LORD the Prophet Seer and Revelator of the Almighty God.

MORMON CHURCH; YOU DO NOT GET TO CLAIM THAT that mean poisonous apostle/prophet was writing as a man. You do not get to do that.

Date: September 23, 2014 07:40PM

blueorchid Wrote:
> The book was written by the Mormon church's
> PROPHET OF GOD THE ONE AND ONLY MOUTHPEICE OF THE
> LORD the Prophet Seer and Revelator of the
> Almighty God.
>
> MORMON CHURCH; YOU DO NOT GET TO CLAIM THAT that
> mean poisonous apostle/prophet was writing as a
> man. You do not get to do that.

man-God-man... two faced

Abraham Lincoln said, "If I were two faced, do you think I'd be wearing this one?"

Date: September 23, 2014 07:19PM

I am telling you,...I was 16 and forced to sit in a bishops office being shamed for kissing my girlfriend and "assigned" to read certain passages in that damn book, passages that if taken to heart would have destroyed me. My parents looked at me like I was a sinful slut. It was a horrible experience and I was never allowed to see my girlfriend again...and I didn't except for one time 20 years later. TRAGIC...this is no fucking joke!

I'm so damn glad I never had children and had to make them feel like lepers for having any human emotions whatsoever!!!

I'm so, so angry!

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:19PM

The backpedaling just goes on and on.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:22PM

A bishop handed that book to me in 1990. I had been in therapy for the tree years prior to that.

I read a few pages. I remember thinking I may go to hell for this, but i'm not reading this trash. I don't care if God himself wrote it. This author is sick in the head. Into the trash can it went. I never gave it another thought.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:36PM

The Bishop's in my ward still have it and hand it out. I threw it out of my kids desk. Kimball and whoever proofread it are sick bastards.

Date: September 23, 2014 07:44PM

Look at the titles of the chapters...

Date: September 23, 2014 07:37PM

madalice Wrote:
> A bishop handed that book to me in 1990. I had
> been in therapy for the tree years prior to that.
>
> I read a few pages. I remember thinking I may go
> to hell for this, but i'm not reading this trash.
> I don't care if God himself wrote it. This author
> is sick in the head. Into the trash can it went. I
> never gave it another thought.

That's where I put [that] garbage

Date: September 23, 2014 07:23PM

So....there is no need at all, whatsoever for modern day prophets. We live in an age of lawyers and people can't go around spouting off their mushroom induced warblings anymore without blowback...so the entire Mormon Moment has completely failed. There cannot be modern prophets in a modern world. Wow...that is huge.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:26PM

Very succinct, Lori. And truthful.

Date: September 23, 2014 07:30PM

...prophesy, seer, or predict anything...if it doesn't come to pass, you'll be sued off your butt. No, you can no longer speak to the masses about anything sexual, or really on any "prophetic" subject without it being recorded and shared.

No, in the modern technological age...you cannot have prophets. The church has just made itself irrelevant.

Date: September 23, 2014 07:32PM

THE AUTHOR WAS THE FUCKING PROPHET OF THE CHURCH WHEN HE WROTE IT. PERIOD.

This is going to be fun to throw out to the TBM brethren in my next priesthood meeting.

Too much.

Date: September 23, 2014 07:45PM

I think the book was first published in 1969 an Spence became El Presidente in 1973. The fact that he was "only" and apostle when he wrote it changes nothing however. He certainly didn't renounce it or pull that vile filth from the shelves once God had his shell pink ear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 07:54PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: Hey ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:32PM

Hey, why don't you give her a call...

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:51PM

Sadly, the legions of deeply immersed TBM's are blissfully unaware and completely unconcerned about little adjustments to the tenets of Mormonism. They have invested their entire lives into being mormon and NOTHING will cause them to deviate from their pre-programmed life and fate. Coming to the understanding that it is all fakery would be just a tick less dreaded than death itself.

Date: September 23, 2014 07:52PM

So what has just happened is with a stroke of typewriter and a disclaimer they have just made "The Priesthood","The Spirit", "God, "The Almighty", "Jesus", "The Holy Ghost...all irrelevant. They have no power at all. The only power is the power of the law of the land and the lawyers and law enforcement to enforce them.

If "God" can be swept away...and MILLIONS of "testimonies" by members can be melt away and become as worthless as the burned up packaging on a spent firecracker...all by a disclaimer then that means...

SS...worthless
Seminary/Institute...worthless
Priesthood/RS...worthless
YM/YW...worthless
Primary/Nursery...worthless
Temples...worthless
Missions...worthless and deadly

Why??? Because without a god, or the power of god, or any of the supposed "benefits" to church involvement.......everything else is just baseless busy work to keep the corporate empire fed.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:56PM

I am nearly certain that Spencer K's homo-erotic rant always carried a disclaimer (leastwise, my edition from the 1980s did). When I first left the church back in 2002, I went through all of our books looking for material for a fraud case. What I found was that anything published after the 1960s/1970s carried a disclaimer, unless it was an actual Church publication. Even then, the "I have a question" column in the Ensign includes a disclaimer. Bottom line: in the past few decades the leaders of the Church figured out it was all a scam (BoA papyri, Joseph Smith's First Vision exposé, BoM archaeology fails, etc.) and started to be VERY careful with the content of official publications.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 08:01PM by Facsimile 3.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:56PM

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 08:00PM

I am not Mormon nor have ever read this book, though I've seen the wikipedia description of it. It seems that it deals with a very narrow and freighted definition of forgiveness, but unfortunately one that people commonly presume--that forgiveness must be merited and earned, and that until it is, the person is judged sinful, wrong, or criminal. A 'flatland' definition, so hardly a "miracle." And yet from a meta perspective, there is some truth, however clumsily misstated, in the idea that people CAN change. Maybe they can't change their external conditions in a flash, but they can change their identification with their presently presumed "self." The real miracle, which is part of every perennial spiritual tradition and in fact is the original "gospel" ('good news') of Christianity, is that we are NOT essentially our egos - what we and others believe we are, or what we believe others to be. Our physical eyes lie--or rather focus us on a 'fallen' dimension of separate existences--and the miracle is that we can open other, inner eyes and see everything and everyone differently. This has been described in many works of mysticism.

Forgiveness, in this mode, is right now to see through all apparent conditions (which are indeed our own projections--in the weak sense, our own interpretations, but in the strong sense, our actual externalized imaginations). It has nothing to do with the other person, the conventional wrongdoer, changing externally. If it did, that other person would control our ability to forgive. And from a God-perspective, if you want to enter that anthropomorphized symbolism, "He" already sees through all our ego-identifications, our 'missing the mark'(sins) of what we really are, and "forgives" us our blindnesses from the beginning. That is unconditional love.

There is the nitty-gritty work of organizing life on this mundane level of consensus reality, and that involves making daily judgments and even enforcing laws and punishing crimes. But this all can be done from an awareness of people's "original innocence," without egoic investment, and with forgiveness of everyone's 'false predication'--that is, misidentifying ourselves as the characters onstage in this world-drama.

Date: September 23, 2014 08:02PM

...sure as hell didn't mention it when he told me I HAD to read it and cut off my heart and never see my girlfriend again. It sure as hell was never just "optional" reading.

Date: September 23, 2014 08:07PM

When you are an apostle and then the prophet and you write that type of book with titles like "These Things Doth the Lord Hate," you have nullified any right to a disclaimer. When you spell out in specific terms what is sin and what isn't while you claim to be a vessel for the lord, you cannot cross your fingers behind your back.

Date: September 23, 2014 08:28PM

"Whether by mine own voice, or by the voice of my servants it is the same"...unless there is a disclaimer.

D&C 1:38

Date: September 23, 2014 08:31PM

Okay now I'm laughing my guts out. I think the mormon directive "Doubt your doubts" will now be replaced by, "Didn't you read the disclaimer?"

Date: September 23, 2014 08:32PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.