Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 11:14PM

To be able to see Meet the Mormons in my area. They even released an official letter to all the wards so that it would be shown here. It appears to not be a proselyting tool but rather a way to make anyone feel good about the cult, its crazy as usual. I am hoping that the theaters wont show it here at any rate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 11:41PM

Did Jim Jones make a movie about how normal the People's Temple was?

It is just so culty to try and persuade people that you are normal.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 12:42PM

reuben Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did Jim Jones make a movie about how normal the
> People's Temple was?

Jim Jones didn't have to...prior to the move to Guyana, the People's Temple was located in the San Francisco Bay Area, and they got TONS of free publicity (TV especially, but also newspaper and magazine coverage too) from the news media for the WONDERFUL!!!, and socially POSTIVE!!!, and INSPIRING!!! work they were doing for the greater northern California area.

What was actually somewhat astounding (for that time: 1970s) was that the People's Temple, with a membership of several hundred, was racially integrated...and people who were drawn to the People's Temple worked together---white and black equally---as a caring, cohesive group.

For that time, this was newsworthy...and they got unbelievable amounts of state and national publicity because it WAS (and this was, indeed, truly a fact) a GENUINELY racially integrated group.

Once Jim Jones ordered the group move to Guyana (on the northern coast area of South America), the members were geographically isolated---and things went insane really fast due to the rapidly increasing paranoia of Jim Jones.

But for the time they were in the Bay Area, they were tremendously well known because of the very positive coverage by television and the news and popular print media.

If there HAD been a film made PRIOR to the move to Guyana, it would have had a niche, but profitable, paid audience over much of the country...because there WAS actual interest in the People's Temple and how they were doing real racial integration apparently so well.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:07PM

How about watching:

"Meet a Scientologist" instead?

http://www.scientology.org/video/meet-a-scientologist.html

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:11PM

OMG! Pray to have that movie come to your area? Just curious, where is this? No one where I love has even heard about it.

MEET A SCIENTOLOGIST??!!! That is AWESOME. We are now getting our ideas from the other demonstrably ludicrous space cult.

Perfect

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 02:06PM

I don't think they get that many people view Scientology, JWs and Mormonism as cousins of a sort.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 07:32PM

I recently had to explain mormonism to curious heathens, and the "scientologists from the 19th century" is what fitted the bill most accurately.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 02:58PM

As nutty as the history of the Adventists is, at least they spend their energy trying to save lives with health care research.

LDS, Inc. spends its time trying to make money and recruit more suckers, er, members. Missionaries are salesmen, not helpers.

What if they spent their money to build research hospitals? It's telling that BYU has a law school and a business school, but not a medical school.

Posted by: L'Carpetron Dookmarriot ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:05PM

I'm confused. They asked members to pray to be able to see it. Can't they just go to a theatre when they're not busy and watch it? Won't it be online?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 04:42PM

It is a limited release film, so it may not be available near you.

http://meetthemormons.com/locations?s

The closest location to me is over 10 miles away.

Why is the film rated PG? Do they swear or have sexual situations? Maybe they show polygamist weddings.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 05:46PM

Oh goody. Looks like it's coming here, but not to the theater that serves wine. So, no thanks.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 10:16AM

I'm worried. At our local "Regal" cinema (town in Georgia), there is a function on the website to demand a movie, and 130 people have demanded "Meet the Mormons." 388 people have demanded "Gone Girl," and 341 people demanded "Left Behind." I think that the difference would be that more than 388 people would see "Gone Girl," and only 130 people would see "Meet the Mormons."

This is so lame. The prospect of the Mormon movie coming here is disturbing me about as much as the prospect of getting Mitt Romney for president.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 05:13PM

Not a single theatre in my state! But in thirty-eight towns in Utah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 05:17PM by rhgc.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 06:55PM

God knows it's cheaper to pray than advertise or make something that appeals to movie-goers.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 06:57PM

Did that prayer include popcorn with the movie?

Posted by: Nimrod Von Korihor ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 02:23PM

Please bless this liquid butter will nourish and strengthen our bodies...

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 09:43PM

Kevin Smith just released a movie featuring Johnny Depp...I watched the movie alone in an empty theater. If Kevin Smith and Johnny Depp can't pack the house, Meet The Mormons is going to bomb in a very comical way. The only ones who will go see it will be Mormons.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:21PM

I'm praying that the movie doesn't make it to their town and my prayers are a lot more powerful than theirs.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:23PM

But I fasted with my prayer. God loves it when you starve yourself then plead. So, my prayer trumps all yours.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:31PM

Dang !

You know I hate it when you play your trump card !!! *LOL*

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:38PM

"Beware of "meeting" people who attempt to hone the image of the cult they belong to by touting how "normal" they are.

Would that be too obvious?

:-)

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 10:32AM

So my wife hasn't mentioned this at all. Anyone in Virginia know if the stakes here are doing that as well?

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 11:50AM

TBMs praying to be able to see a movie to meet Mormons. If they want to meet Mormons, or have their non-Mo friends meet Mormons can't they just show up on Sunday, or Saturday for toilet cleaning? Couldn't they just run bios on the BYU cable tv channel?

To me this just looks like another tax on their money and time.

Out of curiousity I checked and two cities listed in my state with population around 3 million. I have a hunch that is going to be one screen at one theatre in each of those cities. Under comments people are saying they want more locations so people in their ward won't have to travel so far ... that is all ... not so that non-Mos will see it.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 12:02PM

My son manages one of the theatres in town. He stated that someone had rented all 5 screens for one afternoon to show "Meet the Mormons." It is all going to be LDS folks. Is someones faith so flimsy that they need to do such a ridiculous thing to bolster it?

Stupid should hurt.

HH =)

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 02:15PM

The mormon church is most likely doing their best to "guilt", manipulate and shame people of means into buying screentime with their own money or absorbing the cost to show "Meet the Mormons" if they actually own the theater. And, of course, all the members are being pressured to buy tickets to see propaganda. What a sneaky, cheap organization.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 12:15PM

I wonder if the ticket price will include "FREE MILK DUDS" ?

Posted by: Nimrod Von Korihor ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 02:25PM

You get those before the Meat Duds.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 12:19PM

I see they removed the unanswered question if it was being translated into 'Reformed Egyptian'.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 12:22PM

Yes, pray first, then pay a fee to attend, finally obey all the crazy things they tell you to do in the movie. Sounds familiar...The Boner.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 12:24PM

I received an email (as part of a mass relief society email) to watch the trailer and then request that the movie come here. **around Nashville** I seriously doubt this movie will be seen by anyone who is not Mormon. It was definitely made to make members of a cult feel good about being members of a cult. Not a bad idea really. They will all walk out of the theater "feeling the spirit." Then folks will be baring their testimony about the movie. Oh what a crutch this church has created!!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 01:54PM

Are the prayers supposed to inform God what's going on, , because He wasn't paying attention to what his inspired leaders had planned for spreading His gospel? Maybe He hadn't noticed that theaters weren't jumping at the chance to show it? It's awfully strange how He can read our thoughts and knows everything we do every moment of every day, but somehow, this particular problem escaped his notice? Good thing he's got people to pass the news on to him.

Or is God just craving a little begging from his chosen people? Maybe He needs some groveling before He'll do what he was planning on doing anyway?

If you beg enough, can God change the hearts of the theater owners? Does that mean they don't have free will?

The big problem I have with these campaigns to get a bunch of people to pray for a particular thing, whether it be someone's health, safety, or solving a crisis, is that it insults the whole concept of God (who I don't believe in, BTW). If God is what they claim He is, he would already know what's going on, and the best course of action. He wouldn't need a bunch of humans informing him or begging him. Basically, their prayers would be pointless, and even presumptuous.

People are being manipulated, here, by being given the responsibility to make things happen that they don't have the ability to control.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.