Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 05:58PM

He was the brother of my sister in law. I grew up with him. I loved his posts since I left. We emailed some a few years ago. His sister posted on Facebook today, cause unknown.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 06:01PM

So sorry to hear this.

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 06:36PM

so sorry ... another loss to the forum (and to the world) -
50 is far too young to die ... :-(

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 06:56PM

Wow so sorry to hear that. He contributed a lot to help others

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 07:04PM

I will miss his postings. They were incredibly helpful.

Date: October 05, 2014 11:37AM

> I will miss his postings. They were incredibly helpful.

Has anyone read his book?

Posted by: socalapostate ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 03:07PM

Which one is his?

Date: October 06, 2014 04:24PM

"Latter-day Saint Swindle: The Mormon Church's $200-Billion Scam"

As he had the permission to promote his book on RfM and posted about it, I hope it's okay to mention the book and it's new title.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,672905,672905#msg-672905

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: October 07, 2014 10:19AM

Thanks!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 07:26PM

What a tremendous loss for our community. I am sorry to hear of his passing.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 10:27PM

Topping

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 10:45PM

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 04, 2014 10:53PM

Thank you so much for letting us know.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 11:38PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 07, 2014 10:07AM

Very sad - I liked his posts.

Condolences to his family

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 07, 2014 02:39PM

It's always shocking to hear of an unexpected death, even of someone you don't know in person but only through RfM and other similar interactions. It's amazing how you can get to feel close to people just through their posts.

I appreciated FreeAtLast's contributions here as he so often posted fact-based information about cults, psychology, and the history of the Mormon Church. He also shared some personal experiences, often about his mission in South America and how he became seriously ill there but his mission president not only didn't get him the needed medical assistance on time but failed to inform him of his true diagnosis (meningitis iirc). Everybody should know their own medical history. I remember Free saying that his mother, a nurse, would have made sure he returned home immediately with such an illness in a farflung land, in a town where medical help was distant and of questionable quality. He survived that and stayed on his mission, unaware of his true medical problem. He also got intestinal parasites while a missionary and said that it took him 10 YEARS after his mission to be diagnosed and to start recovering from that. It affected his life always.

He had an interest in flying and in journalism and he combined the two by writing for several plane-related magazines. He was also interested in psychology, as we could see by his contributions here on the board.

Free lived in my general neighbourhood for a while and we got together a few times. I relished the opportunity to meet and chat with another exmo. He came to my home once and we went out a couple of times for meals. He was interesting to talk to.

I was sorry for all his medical trouble on his mission, just as I am for all the missionaries out there, past and present, who suffer unnecessarily in many ways that I have observed firsthand. I think it's so sad that it took Free (and others) 10 years post-mission to recover physically and perhaps longer than that emotionally and mentally, if even then. Then, Free apparently passed away suddenly and/or unexpectedly at a relatively young age. My first thought was to wonder how much his health was compromised by his mission and I am sad to think of maybe 30 years or more cut off his lifespan. This is speculation on my part as I haven't come across any IRL info about him but I'll keep looking.

I will certainly miss his posts here about "cultic Mormonism" as he so often called it. They were factual and informative with plenty of links to great articles and were sure to help many, exmo or questioning mo alike.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2014 02:45PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 11:57AM

~:( free at last ):~

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: October 07, 2014 04:14PM

I am very sorry to hear this. He was so informative and helpful. He was definitely one of the people who have made this board the great resource that it is. I will miss him a lot, even only knowing him through the internet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.