Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 04:06PM

Gosh golly, how exciting! Stake conference will be a broadcast from SLC. I just love this tidbit from the email: "The quality of the music and speakers and the messages of the conference will lend itself to inviting our friends and neighbors to attend." Also, how much do you have to "prepare" yourself to attend Stake Conference? Like, take a sedative, get drunk, or partake in our legalize marijuana?

Stake Email: "Dear Brothers and Sisters,

We extend an invitation to all members of the Denver Colorado Stake to attend our 74th Semi-Annual Stake Conference this coming Saturday and Sunday, October 18 and 19, 2014.

Stake Conference is particularly important for the instruction and edification of all members. The primary purpose of stake conference is to strengthen the faith and testimony of stake members. We encourage all stake members to arrange their schedules and plan their calendars so they can be in attendance at this gathering. We invite every member of the stake to prepare spiritually for the conference and to attend all appropriate sessions.

Two conference meetings will be held on Saturday October 18th at the Yale and Monaco building. The Priesthood Leadership Meeting will begin at 4:00 p.m. and the Saturday Evening Session for members 12 and older will begin at 7:00 p.m. (Parents may bring babies in arms.) The Sunday, October 19th General Session will begin at 10:00 am and will be a satellite broadcast from Salt Lake City to the stakes in this region. Speakers will include members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and other general authorities and leaders. The broadcast will be available for viewing at [information on which buildings will be airing the satellite feed] Stake business will be conducted in all three buildings at the beginning of the Sunday General Session. Because this is a stake meeting, it is important to attend the broadcast in one of our stake's buildings.

The quality of the music and speakers and the messages of the conference will lend itself to inviting our friends and neighbors to attend. We are grateful for your dedicated service and may the Lord bless you as you prepare for and faithfully attend Stake Conference.

Faithfully yours,

Denver Colorado Stake Presidency"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 04:14PM

"The quality of the music and speakers and the messages of the conference will lend itself to inviting our friends and neighbors to attend."

This is even less appealing than paying to see the infomercial.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 04:45PM

This is laughable.

"Quality of Music"

Let's analyze that statement:

(1) It implies that what normally transpires in the Denver Colorado Stake IS NOT quality regarding music at stake conference. Therefore not worthy of inviting non-members.

(2) It implies that the Denver Colorado Stake doesn't have an organist who can play properly without mistakes. Therefore not worthy of inviting non-members.

(3) It implies that they don't have a chorister who can keep the beat and use proper conducting techniques simultaneously with the organist's playing to lead the congregational singing.

On these SLC broadcasts, there are no special musical numbers by a choir. So...

(4) It implies that the choir numbers of the Denver Colorado Stake ARE NOT quality at their stake conferences.

Examine his words: "...our 74th Semi-Annual Stake Conference."

Since when does a stake refer to its own Stake Conference in the language LDS Inc. uses for its general and semi-annual conferences? I have NEVER heard this kind of self-important puffery. Truly bizarre.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 03:21AM

"to attend our 74th Semi-Annual Stake Conference"

That jumped out at me too. I thought, have I been out that long, and is that what stakes are doing now? Numbering their conferences like SLC?

New TSCC motto: "Hubris never faileth."

Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 04:52PM

I got ahold of a copy of the original letter which was not approved....

Dear Members of the Denver Colorado Stake,

Guess what? You thought after ten long, painful hours you were done listening to the general church leadership drone on about how much you all suck and paying your tithing? Well guess what? Time for another two hours of it! WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

The upside is that we won't have to listen to Sister Fogerty miss every other note on the organ again, or endure Brother Fleecliff conducting the music at the speed of molasses. And thank Talu that none of you weirdos will be asked to come up to the stand and give an impromptu testimony/ brag session.

I can't take this crap anymore, I need a beer.

Yours truly,
The Stake President

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 05:02PM

Same weekend for us in Greeley, CO.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 05:20PM

I think Jiminy Cricket has this right about demeaning the abilities of the locals.

Furthermore, this is the logical end state of correlation. Nobody has ownership for anything at the local level. Everything is centralized in SLC, and the drones just show up an learn to "pay, pray and obey." Not much to worry about any false doctrine, and besides the recording can be touched up later if their is. See you just misremembered what he said.

Why not pipe in sacrament meeting from SLC every week?!

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 05:51PM

This means my Sunday plans for the 19th will be that much more enjoyable!

I'm going to a remote small town for a fund raiser. They have a search and rescue/fire fighters fund raiser on the third Sunday of October every year.

they put up tables and folding chairs in the fire house, parking the fire engines/ambulances outside, and have a chilli feed. The chilli is home made, plentiful and served with hot cider and cornbread. Yum!

They auction off items and have a raffle for a beautiful quilt that is hanging off the rafters of the building. There are tables of homemade crafts and home goods, from staghorn handled knives, to wallets, lamps, flashlights, hot pads, knitted caps, embroidered dish clothes to hand made necklaces.

Then there are the home made pies!

I bought a strawberry/rhubarb and my son picked out a pumpkin pie with tinted cut out pastry crust leaves adorning the edges of the pie.

The fall colors on the way up there; an hours drive, are stunning gold aspen against 200 foot tall dark ever green trees!

How could a "Stake Conference" with a speech broadcast from SLC be as spiritual as that??

It can't.

Date: October 16, 2014 06:24PM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 01:12AM

I believe the time is coming when the correlation committee will provide the talks to be give in sacrament meetings, stake conferences, baptisms, etc.--anytime members have had some freedom in what they talk about, well, this will be taken away. The patriarchy must rule and rule with an iron hand.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 11:29AM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe the time is coming when the correlation committee will provide the talks to be give in sacrament meetings, stake conferences, baptisms, > etc....

The Christian Scientists are way ahead of the Mormons. Their sermons are exactly the same for any Sunday of the year, every year, throughout the church.

(Unless they have changed things - this is the way it was 50 years ago.)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 02:22AM

thr GAs truly think they're dealing with idiots, nincompoops, robots - automatons.

they're so confident (arrogant) about the success of their inoculation / indoctrination, they actually don't give a rip how insulting what they feed the masses is.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 08:13PM

That just about sums it up.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 02:27AM

I vote for "partake in our legalize marijuana."
I've been in a cult church meeting before after smoking pot (years ago). It is hysterical and it does SEEM to make the time go faster for the 3 hours.

"Parents may bring babies in arms" - better than armed babies.

Seriously, the Denver Art Museum is having a great show now. Or select any of those funky art galleries on Santa Fe on Sunday and go there instead. There is a nice gallery called Space Gallery on 4th and Santa Fe. I was there last week. Lots of fun. Have Fun

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2014 02:33AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 02:57AM

When did stake conference expand into a multi day fiasco?

When I was a lad it was a boring 2 hour meeting followed by a nice lunch at a restaurant. It was a welcome break from the day of meetings on sunday.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 01:03PM

Thankfully, I not longer get the dreaded phone call about attending stake fucking conference and "we'd sure love to have your wife come with you too".....sooooo hated those calls as did my wife.

Ron Burr

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 01:36PM

Another thought about the announcement, "...our 74th Semi-Annual Stake Conference."

Do you really think the Denver Colorado Stake leaders would have used that language to make their conference an enticing event for non-members, IF it had been a relatively new stake? What if they had said "...our 4th Semi-Annual Stake Conference." BIG DEAL, right?

Could it be they are building up to their own self-aggrandizing public relations spectacular?

Wait until number 75 comes up on the docket at the next stake conference. Maybe they'll have posters and "Our 75th YEAR" anniversary flags posted all over the grounds of the stake center, flaunting their self-importance to the community. The stake leadership can do whatever they want. So, (imo) since they are not SLC temple square, they just might take their localized power trip to the adolescent supercilious --- hey everyone, notice us!

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 02:46PM

Is it normal for the talks to be piped in from SLC corporate headquarters? If so, are they pre-recorded? Are the same talks shown at multiple stake conferences?

Date: October 17, 2014 03:10PM

Maybe eunice and I can compare notes afterwards since Greeley has its Stake Conference the same weekend.

Date: October 18, 2014 02:54AM

Oh hell no! I'm not about to attend. We only got the email because our TBM RM daughter is living with us.

Date: October 18, 2014 10:45PM

And I wish I didn't have to attend! *sigh*

Tonight's adult session was on...you guessed it! Hastening the work! TSCC wants to monopolize second of every member's life "spreading the word."

Blech!

Date: October 18, 2014 10:58PM

I feel so sorry for you :'(

Date: October 20, 2014 02:47PM

But here's the rundown on the conference:

Regional: Wyoming, Montana and Colorado stakes.

Interesting announcement: This is to be the last time TSCC holds these kinds of Stake Conferences.

Speakers:
Craig C. Christensen (one of Seven Presidents of Seventy)
Cheryl Asay Esplin (2nd Counselor, General Primary Presidency)
David A. Bednar (Q12)
Richard G. Scott (Q12)

They all hit on aspects of "Hastening the Work."
Bednar was the hard liner. Obey!
Scott was his usual pleading grandpa persona. He spoke about prayer and getting answers. This ties in with HtW because of the 3 ways he described we get answers to prayer.

1) Burning in bosom, aka "Yes."
2) Stupor of thought, aka "No."
3) No answer. This was the kicker! When no answer is apparent, keep the commandments and forge ahead with faith!

Two hours I'll never get back. *sigh*

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 02:59PM

Does "Parents may bring babies in arms" mean that all crawlers, talkers, toddlers and biters, the screamers and runners and all other kids under 18, have to stay home?

That's actually kind of awesome. Unless you're a parent who has more than one kid.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 02:51PM

there's NOTHING that The Corp won't micro-manage!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 03:30PM

Bookratt wrote: Does "Parents may bring babies in arms" mean that all crawlers, talkers, toddlers and biters, the screamers and runners and all other kids under l8, have to stay home?

LOL and loved the descriptive words. I took my brood to SC one time, and it was one time too many, and we even left early, which I am sure those in front, behind and to the side of us were only too happy to witness.

What were we thinking? I mean SC is torture for a so-called adult to manage to sit through.

OMG, my head aches just thinking of one of those mtgs.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 05:27PM

We are going to be in Denver this weekend for the Broncos/49ers game - maybe we should stop by for Stake Conference if its going to be that epic.

Totally kidding.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 07:57PM

You'll find cheerleading at either event. Lots of incompetent officials at either event. But somehow the game is more pleasant. I wonder why?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.