Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nutbutter ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 02:21AM

New rule: Before a mormon ends a proclamation, testimony or a prayer 'in the name of jesus christ' then agrees with him/herself in an 'amen'.......he/she shall don a beard, robe and birkenstocks and speak in Aramaic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 12:49PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:01AM

I see the phrase "...in the name of..." as meaning "by the authority and power of..."

Think of an old movie, and a messenger on horseback tells the castle defenders to "lay down your arms, in the name of the King!" He means: It's not just me, this guy on the horse, who's giving the orders, but a much higher authority they must submit to.

Similarly, the gangster movie & the G-man tells the crook to come out "in the name of the law." The authority here is the law of the land.

So the petitioner is not saying, "It's just little ol' me who's asking this, God. I'm invoking the authority of Jesus Himself." Something to think about for those of you who pray.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 12:50PM by Susan I/S.

Date: October 29, 2014 10:27PM

Dear Caffiend,
My point precisely. When did jesus tell me I could invoke his authority....I don't believe any man who says he did.
If you say in the name of the King and the king hasn't given you express permission to act in his name you'll end up with your head on a post or if you say in the name of the law and you aren't the law you are impersonating an officer of the law and hallowed will not be thy name.
Even if you pray to jesus or a white male god its kinda ballsy to say anything by his authority. You have to believe in the whole priesthood thing and that jesus is your intercessor.
much more fun to say in the name of the king and confiscate people's lands.

Posted by: laperla ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 03:25PM

Was told it's because his middle name is Howard, as in "Howard be thy name."

Sorry for being off topicish.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:05PM

It's right up there with saying "Simon Says."

Pay your tithing. Simon says.

Date: October 29, 2014 10:30PM

brilliant idea. I will volunteer to pray at the next family event.. and end it with Simon Says amen.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:32PM

Mr. Christ suggests that you stop using his name when trying to get people to agree with you. It's not cool. And it's not the password. Everyone knows the password is......

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:03PM

haha one lady i know ends her testimony with "in the name of thy son, jc, amen". always wierded me out that she didnt think about it enough to realize that he wasnt any of our sons... lol. i wonder if anyone else in the audience ever caught that...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 02:16AM

I'd settle for them actually ACTING like Christ did before they go around speaking for him. They could dress however they wanted if they actually loved their neighbor and forgave us our trespasses etc. Instead they act like those who crucified and mocked the Savior, more often than not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.