Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 10:19AM

I read this morning that Apple CEO, Tim Cook announced that he is gay in an op-ed published Thursday, noting that he considers being a homosexual “among the greatest gifts God has given” to him.

I checked the Deseret News to see what new stories they might have concerning Apple and Tim Cook. The Deseret is still talking about Apple Pay. It's early in the day so we'll see if they agree/disagree with Tim Cook's opinion about God's greatest gifts to bestow to his humanoid children living on Earth. Maybe they will write an article highlighting the gifts of the spirit and quietly not that being Gay wasn't part of the list or some other non-sense.

Tim Cook OP-ED Link: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-30/tim-cook-im-proud-to-be-gay

Apple CEO Tim Cook says Apple Pay a success
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765661877/Apple-CEO-Tim-Cook-says-Apple-Pay-a-success.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 10:21AM

From the op-ed

"“While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven’t publicly acknowledged it either, until now,” he wrote. “So let me be clear: I’m proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me.”

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 10:35AM

Thank you Phazer, I would have missed this. I so hope a helluva lot of the gay kids, especially the Mormon ones read what he wrote.

I couldn't agree with Tim Cook more. It has been a great gift for me but I'll be thanking evolution rather than God. It was hell growing up gay in the fifties and sixties--especially as a Mormon--but after that it got good, really good because I left ALL religion behind.

What he says here is exactly how I feel:

"Being gay has given me a deeper understanding of what it means to be in the minority and provided a window into the challenges that people in other minority groups deal with every day. It’s made me more empathetic, which has led to a richer life. It’s been tough and uncomfortable at times, but it has given me the confidence to be myself, to follow my own path, and to rise above adversity and bigotry. It’s also given me the skin of a rhinoceros . . . "

(Although in my case the skin of a rhinoceros may have come just as much from too many years in the sun.)

But yes. As far as the Mormon Church and the "unbiased" News of Deseret, considering being gay a gift would just mean that you are tighter with Lucifer than ever. They still expect us to keep quiet and be very ashamed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 11:28AM by blueorchid.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 10:38AM

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 10:38AM

Coming out as gay is the most freeing and liberating thing I've ever done.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 11:16AM

Good for him for coming out.

Now, if people would stop irrationally crediting imaginary god-things for the way they are or the way the universe is, perhaps we could make real progress on eliminating out-group hatred...

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 07:12PM

still nothing on Deseret News that I can find.

Posted by: takafumi ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 07:23PM

I used to buy into the crap that being gay was just an "extra special earthly challenge for an extra special spirit". I now realize how patronizing that position is, and it's one that is commonly used by LDS therapists, disgustingly.

I'm very contentedly an open-to-future-discovery athiest at this point so while a god doesn't play into my understanding of life and the universe, I now consider me happening to be gay to be a wonderful, valuable gift.

Tim Cook stated it and explained it well. Good for him.

P.S. Edit:
Since Tim's invocation of god is much kinder, less-ridiculous, and holier than the various and sundry LDS positions on the subject, I suspect the church fears his statement. They should.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 07:27PM by takafumi.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 02, 2014 02:08PM

Deseret News just couldn't bring itself to publish this story. I guess Tim's invocation of God was too much.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.