Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 10:54AM

Especially in the military. I was entertaining a co-worker with stories about how rough it was in the past for a garment wearer. He is active LDS and active duty Navy. I was telling him about my mission and the challenge of wearing one-piece garments on my mission and in the military.

Told him how I had to take off my outer shirt in the military all the time in the summer in order to drive tent stakes and set up antenna masts. Although we had green and olive-dyed garments, you still coudn't take off your shirts because the world would see your stitched-in Masonic marks. Well, guess what? Today's military garment has the marks silk-screened ON THE INSIDE, and you can take off your shirt anytime you want. I mean, ain't science something? Goddammit, How is it I had to go for more than a decade first in a one-piece union suit, and then two piece with marks produced like button holes, always having to wear an extra fatigue shirt over my garments?

Stupid, stupid cult.

(I was in Italy on my mission and most of us wore the old uncomfortable nylon ones because we had to wash by hand and they were easier to wash and dry. Told him about the time one of our elders got hit by a car and slid along the pavement, and when the hospital cut his clothes away to treat him, his nylon garment had melted into his wool suit.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 11:03AM

They have no clue. Try being pregnant and/or nursing back in the one-piece days. And from what I understand (correct me if this is wrong), they now allow females to wear their bras under their garmies. We were told in the temple the first time I went through that it was forbidden, the garmies always have to touch your skin.

Also, you don't have the big piece of fabric behind the marks that would even show through your bra and shirt. All that said, however, it's still awful and the stupidest thing in the cult. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Date: October 30, 2014 11:11AM

But I loved those big pieces of fabric and the way they chafed my nipples, and the way they would ball up after a few washes so that more and more people could see your marks through your shirts. It was the Mormon way. But still, no correlation program in them days, so...

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 11:17AM

I WISH they had stuck with the one piece garments...I never would have worn them, and I would have been out of the cult a decade earlier. I don't think most young people today would even consider wearing them.

Posted by: Brainfrees ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 11:18AM

I wonder how long until that makes it to the civilian G's. I know they have a spanx version for women now that dw wears 24/7. If you thought the loose women's garments were a turn-off, these are boner kryptonite!

Posted by: anon69 ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 03:59PM

Brainfrees Wrote:

> 'boner kryptonite!' hehehe

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 08:46PM

Hey, now that's getting personal! The Boner.

Posted by: Brainfrees ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 11:19PM

I actually thought of your sig when I typed that. :)

Sincerely, Shriveled-and-skert-of-those-bullet-proof-jammies guy

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 08:00PM

Remember the really old one piecers?

They had patches where the marks were sewn in, so it looked like you were trying to hide nipples or something with strategically placed white squares...

Goofy to say the least.

Date: October 30, 2014 08:05PM

And the marks were bigger, which made them better and more powerful. Today's garments are for wimpy people who mock the power of God, what with their tiny, invisible marks.

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 12:16PM

Let's not forget the one piecers that made my mother's butt look like she was wearing diapers. I was so embarrassed as a teen!! She could never get the butt flaps smooth under her pants. The poor thing wore them under big panties and hose. Poor thing!!

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 01:54PM

When I was living in SLC in the early 70's, white poli pants were the fashion. You would see women everywhere in split crouch garmies that had divided and showed their butt crack through the thin strech material. Nasty!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.