Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 12:02PM

Mormon history has always prepared to defend against outside enemies...them against us....who would have ever predicted that the true enemy of the mormon church, was within it's own cult profit..how does a cult leader defend against the truth in the internet age??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 12:09PM

They don't and they are fucked. They are now managing their base and their money.

There are no substantial new converts coming into the LDS religion. The MAJORITY are from poor countries and poor North American neighborhoods. Illegal immigrants, single parents struggling etc.

The last nuclear family I saw join the church was 11 years ago and they left after 90 days. The ward and particularly the youth of the ward were devastated. It shut down youth missionary work in the ward for four of five years. None of the kids wanted to talk to their friends about the church because they didn't want to see them leave within a couple of months.

The truth is killing "the one true church."

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 01:01PM

The prophets have correctly prophesied on this matter.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 01:05PM

If you want to freak out a Mormon, ask them when the last time they saw a family getting baptized into their ward was. A whole family with a job that even vaguely resembles the sort of family Mormons claim to be - one that might be featured on the cover of the Ensign some day. Because almost all baptisms nowadays are children of members, single loved ones of members (nevermo spouses or girlfriends) or individuals with serious problems that will probably be a drain on the ward, rather than contribute to it. There are exceptions but whole families - even married couples without children - are not the rule nowadays.

Posted by: Feijoada ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 01:12PM

Ten per cent of low incomes from poor converts equates to less fraudulent tax-free "profit".

Posted by: Zeniff ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 08:10PM

Doubting Thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The truth is killing "the one true church."
>
It can't happen fast enough for me.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 12:23PM

What is happening to Mormonism is what happened to many other fat corporations in this country in the last decade as the economy went south and everything was outsourced to China. The Gerontocracy have no choice but to follow the trend and downsize.

The problem with downsizing is it makes you look weak like a loser, so in order to maintain viability in the marketplace the "winning" facade becomes everything. Your appearance must be positive and appear to be upwardly mobile. Everybody loves a winner!

But its hard to pull off when you aren't really upwardly mobile at all and most reviews of your product are in the toilet claiming the ingredients are carcinogenic or in the Mormon case, spiritually poisonous.

You would think Mormon Heavenly Father, or at least the Holy Ghost would have seen Google coming from a million miles off. Even their Jesus seems to be AWOL.

That should be a clue to the TBM masses. But of course they are out to prove they can maintain their faith in the face of anything--like the truth.

Posted by: masonfree ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 02:46PM

This is like a nuclear reaction. Only so much verifiable information about the church can reach so many of the members before a critical mass is reached in which it can't save face and it turns into just another historical mythology. While the leadership of the church still has options to slow this thing down they can only get more draconian or more desperate as the situation progresses. More and more risk would be required to reap any type of reward.

I do think it will be many more years still, though, before any real mass exodus begins. As more and more LDS families get their own example of an exmormon as a result of these ever more visible problems we're discussing I'm guessing it will help sow the seeds of a reaction that is much more capable of penetrating the echochamber TSCC has been busy creating all this time. A higher percentage of them would be forced to deal with the reality of this directly as the exmos aren't just out there somewhere doing something stereotypically antimormon unseen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2014 02:50PM by masonfree.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 08:05PM

I've been saying for years that it looks like exmo's will be following the Harvey Milk strategy. With the same results.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 10:51PM

Bingo - very well said.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 03:53PM

They've got two problems. First, Mormonism is squarely founded on a lot of ideas and theories from the early and mid-nineteenth century -- which sounded reasonable at the time and which Mormon leaders proclaimed were eternal truths straight from God. Second, Mormonism was founded by a charismatic narcissist-pedophile-conman whose seamy trail of decadent deeds and shady shenanigans he himself proclaimed were authorized and even commanded by that same God.

Nineteenth-century scandal and beliefs meet twenty-first century critical thinking and digital media. BOOM.

Mormonism is not sustainable.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 04:10PM

icedtea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Nineteenth-century scandal and beliefs meet
> twenty-first century critical thinking and digital
> media. BOOM.
>
> Mormonism is not sustainable.

Agreed - Mormonism is not sustainable in this day and age. In order for it to survive as we know it, they need to retain their billions in anual income. I don't see that happening now.

Date: November 15, 2014 08:17PM

Sure, but as I understand it, LDS Inc.'s business income far outstrips its tithing income anyway. They may have to scale back... you know, end what little charity work they were doing, and probably consolidate some missions and close some chapels, but the overhead on those HAS to be extremely low. If they move quickly enough, Tommy Monson and the rest of the gerontocracy could flip the world the bird and laugh that it's all B$, and they'd still survive. I mean, on the one hand, most of these guys have some good business accumen. On the other hand... it's THE CHURCH...and that's where common sense and critical thinking get checked at the door. So, who knows how it will come out?

Me, I'd love to see the Sotheby's Luxury Real Estate sign in front of the Morg temples...and lots of commercial real estate signs in front of chapels...and I'd love to see a vision of Joseph Smith burning in the fires of Hell, if there is such a place.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 08:48PM

I'd love to see some good-old-fashioned tar-and-feathering as long as we are dreaming.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 04:16PM

Bye CULT. I will miss you as much as I'd miss Ebola.

Date: November 15, 2014 08:18PM

I just shot an iced coffee out my nose! Thanks for the laugh!!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 04:32PM

No organization can thrive without good leadership. Anyone with half a brain has either left the church already or is thinking about leaving. After most of the lawyers, bankers, and city leaders have left the church, most of the church leadership ranks will be filled with carpet cleaners, plumbers, and fast food workers. Not to disparage those professions. But most of those people haven't been trained to lead, nor do many of them desire to lead. Then when things like child molestations, divorces, and angry members are wanting to have their names removed in the ward, you'll see Bishops and Stake Presidents having nervous breakdowns, doing things to get the church sued, and saying the wrong things to ward members. That's when the house of cards starts collapsing.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 02:13AM

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 11:29AM

Nothing surprising there. Filling church leadership callings is more about finding the person with the best business résumé than finding the best spiritual leaders. And half the population, aka women, aren't included. So, who's left?

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 08:23PM

Tommy Monson shocked electrodes on penises and clits at BYU, to change sexual orientation, failure, CEO Beneficial life, bankrupted, JESUS MALL, FAILURE, profit mormon cult, implosion. tHIS GUY IS THE KISS OF DEATH ANYWHERE HE GOES. He has never said...thus saith the Lord...His most famous prophecy was...let's go shopping. You just fix stupid, or polish shit...Bard

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 11:14PM

The next time Monson goes to the hospital, where he's surrounded by church security people...his fate will be the fate of Harold B. Lee. The people in charge, who don't include Monson any longer, simply will not tolerate the kind of shoddy management that he and Hinckley delivered for so many years. Such smugness, such complacency, such gullibility, such incompetence, birthday parties and basketball games while the church was burning down...

Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord. Joseph Smith was the Mohammmed of his generation. Who will take his place?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 15, 2014 08:43PM

This is where "modern-day prophesy" will make it all better for the church. God will speak to someone and changes will be made.

Posted by: Yup ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 02:00AM

I hope Boyd K. Packer lives forever! I'd love to watch him become church president and preside over this mess as it just gets worse and worse.

The gays..the feminists...and intellectuals are taking their rightful places, just like he feared they would.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 02:15AM

I think Packer and Monson, in particular, really think the Spirit follows them everywhere. They think they're blessing millions of people just by showing up. If they didn't harbor this false belief, they would be more likely to retire gracefully.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 12:10PM

You wish it would self-destruct. It's just going through a metamorphosis. We are able to watch it like a cocoon in a garden. Soon enough we'll see something ugly transform into something that will be perceived as something beautiful. To some of us it will be a homely and useless moth, but to others it will be a charming butterfly that flits through the world blessing people's lives.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: November 16, 2014 12:23PM

Wondering what his last straw will be???

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-sort-of-curious-what-his-last-straw-is-going-t,37455/

Supposed to be ironic / sardonic but how many TBMs are going through this very process?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.