Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: puck ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 02:03AM

To England.

What's up, RfM?

I'm moving to England for a graduate law degree next fall. Bring it, Sheffield!

So, um, anyone have any big tips? I'm a little nervous but excited! Also, anyone in that area?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 02:44AM

My friend likes Sheffield just fine and he's working as a commercial artist there. Sheffield is a former midlands steel town that has tried to reinvent itself over the years by tearing down slums and replacing them with new buildings. Sadly, there isn't much of an economy there. They have cleaned up the town and if you can make a living there I guess it's fine because the cost of living is far less than let's say London.

About the only real thing going in Sheffield is the university and that's why you are going there.

The UK is either a place you hate or love. Some people can't wait to get out of there and other people love it. I guess you soon will see if it's your cup of tea so to speak.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 03:43AM

I don't drink and I found myself hanging out at the local pup. It became like a living room that was always filled with friends.

Be really careful while driving a car (I would not advise trying to drive around London your first day there).

Bring warm cloths.

I understand they outlawed smoking in pubs (may be wrong on this), I can't imagine a smoke free pub, but THANK GAWD if they did!

Indian food, good, Mexican food, bad. Yes, there are Mexican restaurants in England. I wasn't going to do it, I knew it was going to be bad, but I passed the Mexican restaurant every day on my way home. Curiosity (and being a home sick Californian) got the best of me.

If you are going to move back to the USA, do not eat Fish & Chips. Once back in the States you will spend the rest of your life searching for real British F&C, with no joy.

In London, do the tube. Cabs will bankrupt you (at least until you ditch the American accent) and for people that do not know London, driving is NUTS. If you do plan on driving around London, get the map book (or a good GPS) first. Oh, ya gotta visit London, too much history, too many good museums, too many good Indian restaurants (vindaloo!)

Spotted Dick is a food, not an infection.

Mushy peas suck.

Toasties == Grilled Cheese (with ham or other meat) made in a sandwich press

A Full English Breakfasts is a heart attack on a plate, but oh so good. I even liked the Blood Pudding served at my favorite Inn.

You will look like a total ugly American and all your mates will pretend not to know you if you try to get the Guards at Buckingham Palace to react. If you are with someone that tries to do this, move away from them and pretend you do not know them.

Kick back, relax, go with the flow and have a good time. If you are willing to adapt to the English way, you'll have a good time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 05:56AM

This is good advice (I'm a Brit) which I can update:
- Smoking in public places, including pubs offices etc, has been banned. Specific places for smoking are provided but away from the general public.
- In London, do not use the tube. It is expensive, crowded and always having repair work. Use the London Buses, much cheaper, much more reliable.
- Never, ever drive around London. There are now congestion charges etc, parking is ridiculous and as I said above, the buses are much much better than ever before.
- Start getting into Soccer (but call it football in Sheffield).

Also worth noting, in 2012 London is hosting the Olympics.
Go online now and get yourself registered for tickets!

You will still need warm clothes, global warming hasn't quite got as far as Sheffield...

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 03:34PM

jon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> - Smoking in public places, including pubs offices
> etc, has been banned. Specific places for smoking
> are provided but away from the general public.

The one and only thing I did not like about pubs has been rectified!

> - In London, do not use the tube. It is expensive,
> crowded and always having repair work. Use the
> London Buses, much cheaper, much more reliable.

You may be right about this. When I was there, as someone that had never been to London, I found the tube easier to navigate. Then, whenever I asked how to get to some place, everyone gave me directions using the Tube. My one experience with buses, my journey from the Eye to the beginning of time (The Royal Observatory at Greenwich) was a bit more adventurous than I had hoped.

> - Never, ever drive around London. There are now
> congestion charges etc, parking is ridiculous and
> as I said above, the buses are much much better
> than ever before.

That was the point I was making, but being a Southern California boy, Telling someone to use mass transit just isn't a natural thing to do. In SoCal I learned that, well, let's just say that if my life depended on it, I would rather try to convince Thomas S. Monson to convert to Buddhism than convince a Southern Californian not to use their car!

> - Start getting into Soccer (but call it football
> in Sheffield).

I became a rugby fan while in Manchester. Long story but I ended up hanging with some armature ruggers and partying with them after a match. NOBODY parties like a bunch of ruggers after a win. Damn, now I have that F'n "Jesus can't play rugby" song rattling through my head. Oh, OK, I was hanging with the Village Spartans, Manchester's gay rugby team <guilty grin>.

To the Village Spartans, I am SOOOOO jealous, You're going to be hoisting a pint, OK a lot of pints, with Ben Cohen in April (if you don't get him drunk enough to get his pants off, I'll lose all respect for you guys, not that I had any) AND you will be hosting the 2012 Bingham Cup. I so wish I could hang with you an Ben. Maybe I can make it in 2012!

Ugh, sorry for that but I have a LOT of happy memories from my time in England.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2011 03:47PM by MJ.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:22AM

for some reason, the Chinese take-out places put mushy peas in a lot of their dishes. Chinese dishes do NOT call for mushy peas!

And congratulations on your upcoming adventure, puck.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 05:31AM

My parents live not too far away, in the Peak District (Macclesfield). It's a nice part of the country.

Enjoy yourself as well as working ;-)

Posted by: tony ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 08:44AM

I've never been to Sheffield but hopefully for you it won't suck as much as Mass. Doubtful, though, I'm told Sheffield is a pretty gritty, grimy industrial area.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 09:05AM

Boston is a GREAT large city.... well not for parking...but.... great food and great people!! at least that is my story and i'm sticking to it!!
BTW puck..... i hope you get to use that Judge Alex gavel i gave you sometime! like as in being a JUDGE!! (if thats what ya want)!!
maybe learn to throw darts over there.... great pub game!! toss some arrows and throw back a few pints...great British tradition! Have Fun!! good luck in your studies! :)
oh and I hope FlattopSF throws you a BIG going away partay!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2011 09:06AM by bignevermo.

Posted by: tony ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 02:20PM

Nice place to visit but I'd never want to live there again! Horrible cost of living, horrible traffic, horrible winters, etc. I moved away in '09 and am a happier man for it! :)

Date: March 22, 2011 09:54PM

That's too bad that you moved away from the greatest city in america, but I'm glad to have one less hater here. There are enough graduates that are desperate to stay to replace anyone who would rather be somewhere else.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 08:53AM

Rent The Full Monty. Screamingly funny & it takes place in Sheffield.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 09:24AM

Congratulations. How fun. Good luck in your studies and share the facts about Mormonism to all you meet.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 09:27AM

Visit a Wimpy Bar at least three times per week and say "I will gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today."

Just sayin'...

Ron

Date: March 22, 2011 10:25AM

Not many Wimpey bars left Ron, it's all MacDonald's and KFC...

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:39AM

I know there's one in Sheffield. Used to be several on Hyde Street. Sad, actually.

Ron

Date: March 22, 2011 10:42AM

Yep, Wimpey burgers were flame grilled and contained actual real meat...

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 10:41AM

Posted by: fallible ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 11:20AM

Did live in Burnley and in several parts of Manchester. Personally I love the U.K. and try and get back when I can. Last June I was a little ways up North in Yorkshire. This May going to Chesire (Chester) with a couple friends.

Driving, with some practice (stay left, STAY LEFT!) is not a problem outside of the big cities (London, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool). Renting a car and driving if there are two or more of you going somewhere is much cheaper than taking the trains; they are some of the most expensive in Europe. Even with the current high price of petrol it's still cheaper.

Oh, and the beers! Of course there's Guinness, Newcastle, Speckled Hen, Boddingtons; just try a new one every week. (Boston does have Sam Adams and he does brew up some tasty beverages; but the ones in England...just wait!) The coastal towns seem to have the best chippies (fish and chip joints) but anywhere is almost always better than most places in the U.S. including Boston. Cod and Whitefish are both, for the most part, excellent!

On the weekends or school holidays take some time and do some exploring. Get a British Heritage Pass if you like history and visit some places that were built, destroyed and rebuilt all before the U.S. became a country. The BHP is one of the world's true bargains in historical sightseeing.

I am envious.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 11:29AM

I have a HUGE tip, but it's probably not the kind you're asking for.

Date: March 22, 2011 11:40AM

I've always enjoyed your posts.

If you ever fancy a weekend in Paris, France (not so far away from England!), I and my family would be delighted to put you up.

The e-mail address shown if you click on my pseudonym is the real one. Just mail me in advance.

Have a nice time in England.

Tom Landon (my real name)

Date: March 22, 2011 01:58PM

Thanks for all the info, everyone!

A lot of the cultural stuff I'm not too worried about. A professor of mine said, "Travelling to England feels like a homecoming for any proper Bostonian." While I wouldn't take it quite so far, I've been to London and it did feel quite a lot like Boston. I've never been to the North, but being from about as far north as you can be in the USA, I'm not too concerned.

The driving doesn't really concern me -- I very rarely drive here as it is, I just walk and bike and take trains. I intend on keeping that up!

fallible, thanks for the recommendation of the british heritage pass. I didn't know it existed, and I'll definitely pick one up!

soft machine, I can't see your email address, but I might as well announce mine in case anyone prefers to email: bostona4@yahoo.com. Thanks so much for the offer -- Paris is one place I plan on visiting first, as I've wanted to go for ages. My french is somewhat sub-par, though.

One last note...I, for one, am thrilled about the weather up in Sheffield. I hate hot summers, and I get sunburned after being outside for 5 minutes or more, and it shouldn't be all that different from my early childhood years in northern Maine. I know, I know, but it takes all kinds right!?

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 02:14PM

Besides Paris:

Go enjoy Scotland and Ireland. Take some time and sightsee and try stuff in those areas. I've been to Ireland once and Scotland 3 times. It's FUN!

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 03:03PM

I hope we get some bulletins very now and again!

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 03:07PM

Posted by: Omg ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 03:09PM

Britain is a wonderful place to live.

Sheffield is a recovering old working class town but things are still really tough there. Income inequality between the wealthiest parts of the UK (London + South East and the rest) are bigger than they've ever been according to last week's Economist.

But the University is fantastic.

2 things for your first week.

i) Don't turn with a red light. EVER.
ii) Support Sheffield Wednesday and if you're up north be rude about Chelsea.

Posted by: Omg ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 03:12PM

I didn't see your second post.

Don't worry about getting sunburned.

When I moved from the UK to the US a few years ago everyone thought I was sick - that's how white and delightsome I was. Of course, it was just that the sun never shone.

The old saying really is true - "if you don't like the weather in England, just wait 10 minutes". But several days of uninterrupted sunshine don't feature as part of the climate.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 04:20PM

....good waterproof shoes and raincoat...Oh, and lot's of money because what costs about a dollar in the US costs about one pound in Britain (about $1.60 to the pound right now).

Date: March 22, 2011 05:22PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.