Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 12:10PM

Who claimed to be able to find buried treasure;

Who bilked neighbors out of their money by “money-digging,” using a stone in a hat which covered his face;

Who was brought to court as a young man, accused of being a disorderly person, an imposter, and a glass-looker;

Who made up stories about ancient Indians;

Who charmed and eloped with Emma;

Who claimed God & angels appeared to him and spoke to him;

Who promised Isaac Hale (his father-in-law) that he had given up what he called "glass-looking," and that he expected to work hard for a living, and was willing to do so;

Who “translated” bogus ancient American gold plates into KJ
English, using a stone in a hat which covered his face (same as when he was “money-digging”);

Who tried and failed to sell the copyright of the BOM in Canada;

Who revised his all-important First Vision story several times;

Who committed adultery and sought to hide it;

Who slept with young girls, calling it God-sanctioned polygamy;

Who taught his followers to obey laws of the land, but personally broke them;

Who married and slept with up to 40 young girls and women, some already married;

Who publicly lied about his polygamy;

Who “received” conveniently-timed revelations about any subject he needed;

Who “translated” Egyptian papyri into totally wrong, nonsensical English;

Who created an incorrect Egyptian alphabet;

Who bilked his faithful followers out of their lands & money;

Who faced (or fled from) numerous charges of illegal banking and banking fraud;

Who often tried to flee rather than face his accusers (e.g., in 1838, he fled Ohio for Missouri);

Who was indicted by a Missouri grand jury for treason (1839);

Who was indicted by an Illinois grand jury for perjury, fornication and polygamy (1844);

Who introduced non-traditional marriage doctrines (polygamy, polyandry) to Mormonism, ultimately destroying and/or causing permanent damage & heartache in his own family, and in the family lives of his closest friends, associates and faithful followers;

Who sent his close male associates & friends on foreign missions while he remained behind to “marry” and sleep with their wives;

Who boasted he was more successful than anyone else who ever lived, including Jesus;

Who had himself ordained “ordained 'King over the Immediate House of Israel' by the Council of Fifty,” and some say over “all the earth;”

Who lied about almost everything;

Who stole Masonic rites, claimed they were from God, and tried to keep them secret;

Who destroyed a printing press, scoffing at others’ rights to freedom of speech;

Who wore a Jupiter talisman around his neck;

Who removed his sacred Mormon temple garments while in jail;

Who drank wine with his brother and friends while they were in jail;

Who shot & wounded 2-3 mob men who were attacking him while he was in jail;

Who cried out for Masonic help as he neared death;

Who UNwillingly died for his beliefs;

Who set the stage for millions of followers who still continue his lies today.

..........Yeah, praise to THAT guy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 12:22PM

Now those are some good lyrics for that tune! Nice list.

Do you think after this any ward chorister is going to have the nerve to pick that song for Sacrament Meeting again?

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 12:26PM

Amen, and Amen!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 12:30PM

make many copies of that post and go into ward houses and sneak it into every hymnal on the "praise to the man" page.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 12:45PM

Loved your list.

37 infamous deeds of Joseph that scream to be remembered alright. I do think his infamy is spreading far and wide and definitely not as he planned.

Posted by: kingbrigham1 ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:21PM

Roughly one infamous misdeed per wife.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 12:54PM

but... What would they have left?

Date: November 17, 2014 02:02PM

Notalot!

Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 01:44PM

I refuse to sing that song when it's done in sacrament meeting. Members have no clue who Joseph really was. They laugh and scorn Warren Jeffs for what he has done without realizing it's no different than what Joseph did. No way those same members would follow Joseph if he were alive today.

Date: November 17, 2014 02:07PM

When I was 10, that was my favorite hymn, especially when we sang "Now fight him in va-a-a-ain."

When I was 20, an English girl couldn't contain herself laughing when we sang the song in Sacrament meeting.... it was the Scotish anthem she knew well.

Now both the music AND the words are both laughable and very sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2014 02:08PM by PapaKen.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 07:20PM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_the_Brave

" "Scotland the Brave" (Scottish Gaelic: Alba an Aigh) is a Scottish patriotic song. It was one of several songs considered an unofficial national anthem of Scotland.

"Scotland the Brave" is also the authorised pipe band march of The British Columbia Dragoons of Her Majesty's Canadian Armed Forces,[1] and also is played during the Pass in Review at Friday parades at The Citadel, and the Virginia Military Institute.[citation needed] In 2006,[citation needed] it was adopted as the regimental quick march of the Royal Regiment of Scotland." ....

*The Latter-day Saints hymn "Praise to the Man" is set to the tune of "Scotland the Brave".
*Music also used for the Hawkesbury Agricultural College Rugby Team chant "Hawkesbury the Brave".
*The Halifax Mooseheads Quebec Major Junior Hockey League team plays a techno version of the song when the Mooseheads score.
*This tune can be heard being played on bagpipe during the funeral ceremony in the popular movie The Departed.
*This song is played on bagpipe and drums during the scene 'The Canadians Arrive' in the 1968 film The Devil's Brigade. It is also played over the opening and closing credits of the film.
*The German heavy metal band Grave Digger have a version of "Scotland the Brave" as the intro of their album Tunes of War.

==================

And here I thought that at least *this* song was original to the mormon church. I should have known that like many other hymns, they took the music from a source other than their own. Is there *any* originality or creativity in this church (excluding lies and cover-ups)??

Posted by: greensmythe ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 01:46PM

I wonder if he is still "mingling with gods" in the great Cocktail Party in the sky, or if he has suddenly become persona non-grata, like Brigham Young?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:15PM

This is the real words to that song. Sing those.

Hark, when the night is falling
Hear, hear the pipes are calling
Loudly and proudly calling down through the glen
There where the hills are sleeping
Now feel the blood a leaping
High as the spirits of the old Highland men.

Chorus

Towering in gallant fame
Scotland my mountain hame
High may your standards gloriously wave.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:12PM

Thank you! I love the music to this hymn but gag at the words. Sometimes I hum it so now I have some words to go along with the melody that won't make me cringe.

Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:39PM

Nice list, great post! Does anyone know the original meaning of the phrase "wake up the world for the conflict of justice" ?? Very interesting. Perhaps is this information age via the internet, the true beginning of this conflict of justice?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:47PM

Hey!! Come on!!

A slave species needs to have something or someone to bow down to and worship. Otherwise what is the point of being a slave?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:08PM

If they did this version at church, i'd be there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4aUPC0zMok

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:43PM

Joseph Smith, lowering the bar for praiseworthy behavior since 1830.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 06:43PM

lol

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.