Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Skeptical ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:43PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hopefulhusband(not logged in) ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:52PM

check the source. The examiner runs articles ALL the time (daily on yahoo) about martians being discovered and UFO's spotted by nasa....

Posted by: Skeptical ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 02:59PM

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:00PM

The Cherokee have intermarried with people from the Old World so much that there are practically no pure-blooded Cherokees left. Tons of people report being one-quarter Cherokee or one-eighth Cherokee. So at this point, some of them probably do have Middle Eastern DNA, but it is important to realize that it arrived in the New World after Columbus. A better test for Lamanite DNA is to test pure-blooded Indians in remote areas in South and Central America.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:02PM

Or skeletal remains from pre-Columbian burials.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:16PM

The main article qualifies these statements quite clearly:

" A descendant was the wife or paramour of Col. Will Thomas, the first chief and founder of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians located today on the Qualla Boundary."

" One of the cases of U2e* is my own. This line evidently arose from a Jewish Indian trader and a Cherokee woman. My fifth-great-grandmother was born about 1790 on the northern Georgia and southwestern North Carolina frontier and had a relationship with a trader named Enoch Jordan. The trader's male line descendants from his white family in North Carolina possess Y chromosomal J, a common Jewish type."

"The great-great-grandmother of Linda Burckhalter was Sully Firebush, the daughter of a Cherokee chief who married Solomon Sutton, the stowaway son of a London merchant, in what would seem to be another variation of the "Jewish trader marries chief's daughter" pattern."

So all of the observed haplogroups can be accounted for by "white folks" mixing with early Cherokee.
No BoM proof here, folks. :)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:21PM

I have no idea whether Cherokees are [semi-originally] from the Middle East or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that Cherokees originated from SOMEWHERE apart from the documented Asian/Siberian etc. DNA lines.

My maternal grandfather's mother was Cherokee (in a time and a place where being Native American was most definitely N-O-T cool!)...and my maternal grandmother's sister, who I knew personally, looked ENTIRELY Native American (not Cherokee...I'm pretty sure it was Osage). All of this biology, during American times anyway, took place in the area of the Oklahoma Territory.

I was born on the Pacific Coast, in Chumash/Tongva/Yangna territory, and grew up with local Native Americans of these tribes and this Pacific Coast culture---so, biology and distant family ties aside---my internalized, growing up knowledge of Native Americans was of the southern Pacific Coast tribes.

As an adolescent, and later as an adult (through adopted family and close friends), my knowledge expanded to Pueblo Indians (Taos, Picuris, and Santa Clara...with some additional Navajo thrown in here and there through family connections), as well as Apaches (Mescalero band, almost entirely).

It was ALWAYS obvious to me that my biological Native American roots (Oklahoma Cherokee, plus Pawhuska Osage) were a distinctly different culture than the Indian cultures of my birthplace and my own, lived, life---and I'm talking something deeper and more profound than the obvious surface differences between Chumash and Picuris Pueblo. I could never identify what I saw and felt so strongly (to me, the differences were like they were lit up in neon), but the Native Americans of my own biology were NOT like the Native Americans of my own experience in my own life (a life which took place far from either Oklahoma or the "original," North Carolina-area Cherokee territory).

Cherokees from the Middle East???

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me...instead, it would answer a number of questions I have had since I was a very little girl.

And if this is so, my Cherokee ancestors have---inadvertently, of course---made their real presence known in my life, because I DID choose, as an adult, to "REjoin the tribe"...sort of. ;)

If this DNA information is actually true, then somewhere in the multiverse, there are probably some Cherokee ancestors of mine who are smiling right now.

Their prodigal daughter did finally choose, in her own way, to return to the fold.

;) ;) ;)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2014 03:28PM by tevai.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:47PM

Really enjoyed your post. I had a couple of close friends who reconnected with their tribes and it was interesting to see how deeply they felt about it. Good for you.

Posted by: greensmythe ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 04:21PM

Of course Native Tribes on the east would be culturally, and genetically, much different than those in the west. Just like French are different than Russians. Or English are different than Iranians.

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:37PM

Back when the European colonist were making their way to the Americas, I read that some 65 - 70% were of Jewish decent which settled first to SC. This is actually true since Charleston SC still has a large gathering there.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:45PM

Another straw to grasp. For Mormons this has to be like a cat being teased with a ball of string.

If the Cherokees did have Middle Eastern DNA and this was there before Columbus, then we can finally start digging up the Cherokee homeland and find those chariots, horse remains, and steel swords.

You think the Mormons will start the archeological dig immediately? Or, would they find it more prudent to let sleeping tapirs lie?

Posted by: Tapirrider ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 03:54PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 17, 2014 05:07PM

I know just enough about the development of Native American agriculture that I threw up over this claim. After that, I struggled to unravel the hodge-podge of facts and folklore interwoven in this one.

>Cherokees developed and cultivated corn, beans...

Corn (maize) was developed in Mesoamerica from teosinte, a wild grass that grows in that area. Knowledge of its cultivation spread northward and eastward

http://maize.uga.edu/index.php?loc=ancestors

Similarly, beans were first domesticated in Mexico and South America.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/bcthroughbl/qt/Bean-History.htm

On the "Cherokee Front," post-Columbian admixture easily accounts for all of the mtDNA haplogroups identified among the individuals tested.

The article linked states:

>At present, the researchers at DNA Consultants seem unaware that throughout the 1600s Iberian Sephardic Jews and Moorish Conversos colonized the North Carolina and Georgia Mountains, where they mined and worked gold and silver. All European maps show western North Carolina occupied by Apalache, Creek, Shawnee and Yuchi Indians until 1718. Most of these indigenous tribal groups were forced out in the early 1700s. Anglo-American settlers moving into northeastern Tennessee and extreme southwestern Virginia mentioned seeing Jewish speaking villages in that region until around 1800.

That's interesting because several of us have encountered LDS apologists quoting Adair. I expect we'll see more of that.

Posted by: rainman ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 09:49AM

The gyrations that Anti-Mormons go through to hold on to their hatred is always amazing to watch. Science is finally uncovering facts that support the BoM narrative and it is driving the anti crowd to new heights of hysterical contortions so they can cling to their "Beliefs".

It appears that science is your friend until it disagrees with you.

https://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/cherokee-dna.htm

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 10:00AM

If this is your "proof", you deserve to stay a Mormon.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 10:07AM

rainman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It appears that science is your friend until it
> disagrees with you.

You don't know what science is, do you?
I suggest some education.

Hint: a mormon-run company doing a limited, biased study, which nobody can replicate, and then making outrageous, mormon-based claims, isn't "science."

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 12:40PM

Looks like you are relying on Donald Yates. What a joke.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 04:19PM

Graciously volunteered to fall on his sword (Nephite in origin?).

I had a "senior moment" on who Donald Yates was and went a-Googling. He is a "colleague" of Rodney Meldrum's (must've missed him at the Meldrum "apologist-and-survivalist shows" I've been crashing). I even "dug" up some of my own Internet roadkill...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnGygY2FwJc

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1495042,1495206

sub: You All Remember Gavin Menzies? Well Meet Donald Yates...

I hate to resort to clichés, but this stuff is pure snake oil shinola, seriously.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 04:07PM

I love it when you bring your bull shit chipper with you when you

come here. I see it still works wonderfully.

Thanks Cabbie

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 12:29PM

The irish annals claim st brendan, sometime in the 500s (6th century) sailed on a missionary journey that took some years. He later spoke of visiting a land of plenty far to the west that he reached after many months of sailing, complete with his celtic cross which originally was a navigation tool allowing trans-oceanic journeys. Legend had it he was first european to visit america.

The welsh annals talk of a welsh prince settling somewhere west with his co-horts and family, to begin a new kingdom; he obviously wasn't going to inherit anything at home so preferred adventure.

Both irish and welsh dna share traits with modern middle eastern populations.

Alternatively, since the right of return to modern israel began, DNA studies have come of age and a lot of people from western europe and elsewhere have migrated to the middle east and spread their genes throughout the gene pool there.

Here we have 3 legitimate reasons why genes have spread over western europe, middle east and america.

Everyone native to britain has at least some irish dna, which according to irish records contains dna from jewish princesses brought to ireland with the stone of destiny (jacobs pillow) by jeremiah of biblical fame, and the ship's crew, back in around the 6th century bc.

All these reasons are more compelling and feasible than a family from judea migrating 2,500 years ago providing the cross-over dna.

Edit to add: not all brendan's travelling companions were monks so some would have undoubtedly left children behind, and chances are one or two remained in the new land.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2016 12:32PM by anonuk.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 04:53PM

I've got some ancestors that married into the Cherokee and Powhattan Tribes. I'm around 1/512th Native American. The rest is all white and delightsome except for the rumors of Gypsy (Romanichals) ancestry in the family history.

My boys are now 1/2 hispanic that I tell my wife she is 100% native american. One of these days we'll get her DNA tested to find out.

Posted by: kjensen ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 03:48PM

My wife and both had our dna tested through 23andme. She from Latin America. We both have separdic dna in about the same percentage. Hers comes from Spain and mine from Germany. Such a discovery among the Cherokee means nothing given the amount of intermarriage among the Cherokee. Before their removal by Andy Jackson, some parts of the tribe had built European style towns and were mixing quite freeing with Americans and other Europeans. It would probably more of a story if jewish dna didn't turn up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.