Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 02:54PM

I was 9 and I needed the world to make sense. The LDS "gospel" just could not let it happen.

When I was a lad my family up and moved to a new country. It was an adventure at the time, and I did not realize how momentous it was to leave family behind, with a very real possibility that we might never see them again.

Reality set in very quickly. We loved our new home, but I remember a few nights I cried myself to sleep missing grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.

Then about a year after arriving, my Granddad died.

It was about the time I turned 9. It was the first death I experienced once I was old enough to know what death meant.

So I needed to make sense of the situation. And everything would make more sense if I could get an answer to the question "is my Granddad in Heaven?"

A simple "yes" is what my 9 year old psyche really needed.

But the best I could get from my Mother, primary teacher, or Sunday School teacher was "it depends what you mean by heaven."

I was 9. I didn't need everyone to evade the question, I needed the world to make sense.

Yeah, LDS church, thanks for that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 03:51PM

+1

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 06:00PM

RfM has got some bad news for you, Opie.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 06:39PM

you must get past joe smith to get into heaven.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 07:36PM

The odd thing is that TSCC claims one needs the approval of JS to get to the CK but he is burning in hell so far as I can tell.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 07:31PM

One of the nice things about classical Christianity is that most Christians take comfort in knowing that they will see their deceased loved ones again one day. They would have confidently given you that simple, "Yes." I'm at a loss as to why the Mormons could not provide you with that simple comfort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 07:32PM by summer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.