Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Roger ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 10:20AM

Disclaimer: I'm asking this on an EX-Mormon board because I find that often times, former members know more about the church than it's current members. I assume many of you would agree, followed by a sigh.

I'm a college student writing a paper on the LDS Church and their public image for my world religions class. I want to include an excerpt on a celebrity LDS member, but wanted to make sure and include one who is (as you guys would call it) a TBM. I was thinking Mitt Romney as an obvious choice, but many here have shared their sentiments that he is far from a TBM, judging off of his political career. Donny Osmond maybe? Not serving a mission hurts. How about Shawn Bradley? Like most LDS athletes, he worked on Sundays.

Any recommendations? Thanks guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 10:29AM

Steve Young is obvious because he's descended from Brigham.

Posted by: reawakening ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 10:34AM

David arculeta

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 10:49AM

Here is a link you could check but it doesn't tell who is TBM. http://www.famousmormons.net/

For example, I wouldn't consider any of the actors listed TBM, nor are the Johnson brothers (Bart Johnson/High School Musical) who aren't listed.

I'd agree about David Archuleta and the author Stephenie Meyers (Twilight). Maybe the Five Browns. Other than David, I'm not sure any of those listed under Reality TV would count as TBM. Those who list serving a mission in their bios on this site are probably more likely TBM - like Robbie Bosco under athletes. Also, the politicians are probably TBM like Orrin Hatch or Bob Bennett. I didn't have time to go through the site other than to just skim it but I hope it gives you some ideas. Most of the Mormon so-called celebrities listed I've never heard of but I don't watch much wrestling or reality TV.

Posted by: Dell ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 11:00AM

Mirelle Enos (from The Killing series) is a BYU graduate but out of the church. Most Mormons listed on the Mormon celebrity site are non believers or non practicing.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 11:02AM

Exactly - but if they are rich and/or famous, Mormons still want to claim them as if their success can be credited to the high ideals Mormonism claims to have. If they were ordinary inactives or exmos, they'd be shunned.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 12:31PM

...Larry King's "Exempt from garment wearing" LDS wife, Shawn.

http://media.santabanta.com/gal/event/oscars/122.jpg

http://hollywoodlife.com/2010/04/22/shawn-southwick-alleged-lover-hector-penate-larry-king-divorce/

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/slept-larry-king-wife-larry-bed-baseball-coach-hector-penate-article-1.167938

...wonder if a "Court of Love" was ever posited regarding some of this craziness?

No, Larry's to big a player........Church would never drag him and Shawn through the mud over "unfounded" acts.........

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 11:37AM

I like the suggestions for David Archuleta (who recently completed a mission to Chile,) and Stephenie Meyer. I think that Mitt Romney or any of the Osmonds would be fine as well.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 11:39AM

Brandon Flowers

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 12:04PM

Most Mormons aren't TBM (according to your definition of TBM). Celebrity Mormons get an even bigger pass than normal Mormons, so you'll find even less of the devout in that crowd.

So, with that being said, I would suggest widening your definition of TBM a little bit. The world isn't black and white and a TBM can be a lot of things. They can in fact work on Sunday. A person can still be TBM and not have gone on their mission.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 12:30PM

Daniel C. Peterson is a HUGE celebrity isn't he?

Posted by: Ianne ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 12:35PM

Gladys Knight was, don't know if she still is.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:10PM

Yes she is, she has been on tour and she recently played a concert at the building my family went to. It was a wonderful opportunity for the stake to reach out to less active members, I know because I got the RS newsletters recommending it and several calls and visits. GAG!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:17PM

I've seen TBM mean True Blue Mormon, or True Believing Mormon. In trying to clear up what it's really supposed to mean, I just came across the Urban Dictionary meaning of Totally Brainwashed Mormon.

I like it.

If you use that definition, there are a lot of those, whether or not they do everything by-the-book.

The Osmonds are definitely the Church's celebrity mascots and judging by some of the things which have come out of their mouths, I'd say they pretty much fit the definition of Totally Brainwashed Mormons.

Posted by: wasalmostamormon ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 01:30PM

I doubt if you will find a more fundamental Mormon than Alan Osmond. Look up his website and you will see what i mean.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 04:06PM

Celebs from the Hough family?

Still brainwashed, but not wearing garments kind of TBM.

Derek Hough. Julianne Hough.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 04:11PM

How about Sen. Harry Reid? He's famous as a politician but he goes against the grain being democrat. I heard he is a TBM though.

Posted by: Homeron ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 04:14PM

Hi everyone I own www.famousmormons.net I see have received a bunch of traffic today from this page. Roger I would be glad to help you with any information you need, though you are getting some help here. Also I have been receiving email .... I realize I need to update the infamous section with the Ponzi scheming members of late. www.famousmormons.net

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: November 29, 2014 04:37PM

My favorite mormon celeb is Bethany Woodruff of poo pouri fame.
http://youtu.be/ZKLnhuzh9uY

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.