Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 05:56AM

Back home in Central Washington these guys would canvas our neighborhood relentlessly, followed by a group of Irish Travellers from White Settlement, TX, both selling alarm systems. The goal of both was to separate you from your money without offering any viable service.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 06:08AM

Scumbags...

That being said, it sounds like those folks didn't read their contracts. I'm not saying the company isn't sleazy, but it really is important to read carefully before you sign.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 06:09AM

WHAT ? you mean these guys are acting like the MORmON church ? and what is the business secret of Utahs largest corporation ? - holding families hostage in eternity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LA_Eusla4o

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 07:46AM

Mormons are winners!

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 03:12PM

"wieners"

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 09:02AM

From Wiki...

Vivint, Inc. (formerly known as APX Alarm Security Solutions Inc.) is a private home security, home automation and energy management services provider in the United States, Canada and New Zealand.[1][2][3] Keith Nelleson and Todd Pedersen co-founded the company in 1999.[4][5] Pedersen is Vivint's CEO.[4][6]

In 2012, The Blackstone Group acquired Vivint.[6][7] As of June 2014, Vivint had approximately 7,000 employees serving 800,000 customers.[8]

-------------------------------

In 1992, Todd Pedersen was passed over for what he considered the perfect summer job: selling pest-control services door-to-door in Sacramento, Calif. Some of his college buddies had pulled in $10,000 doing it the previous summer, while Pedersen was making about half that much hanging sheetrock. Pedersen, then a 23-year-old Brigham Young University student who had spent countless afternoons knocking on strangers’ doors as a missionary for the Mormon Church, ended up earning $82,000 working for a rival pest business that summer. “[The recruiter] didn’t think I had what it took to do it, which is odd because I’m from Idaho and Idahoans can do anything,” he says.

The Idahoan has been fighting unwelcome creatures for more than a decade, frustrating human intruders with a home security outfit he co-founded in 1999 in Provo, Utah. Now Pedersen is embarking on a push to diversify the 5,000-employee company, which had $245 million in revenue last year. To do so, he’s combining aggressive sales techniques with digital technology to automate the home, pushing homeowners to embrace a simple way to control everything from appliances to locks via a smartphone. In February, Pedersen rebranded the company, renaming it Vivint for “intelligent living.” Sam Lucero, a networking technology analyst for ABI Research, calls Vivint “a leading edge company in the sense that they have moved very quickly. They are an early adopter of these kinds of technologies and an early mover into this space.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-20/to-sell-home-automation-vivint-needs-some-aggressiveness-.html

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 11:28PM

Stumbling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From Wiki...
>
> Vivint, Inc. (formerly known as APX Alarm Security
> Solutions Inc.) is a private home security, home
> automation and energy management services provider
> in the United States, Canada and New
> Zealand.[1][2][3] Keith Nelleson and Todd Pedersen
> co-founded the company in 1999.[4][5] Pedersen is
> Vivint's CEO.[4][6]
>
> In 2012, The Blackstone Group acquired
> Vivint.[6][7] As of June 2014, Vivint had
> approximately 7,000 employees serving 800,000
> customers.[8]
>
> -------------------------------
>
> In 1992, Todd Pedersen was passed over for what he
> considered the perfect summer job: selling
> pest-control services door-to-door in Sacramento,
> Calif. Some of his college buddies had pulled in
> $10,000 doing it the previous summer, while
> Pedersen was making about half that much hanging
> sheetrock. Pedersen, then a 23-year-old Brigham
> Young University student who had spent countless
> afternoons knocking on strangers’ doors as a
> missionary for the Mormon Church, ended up earning
> $82,000 working for a rival pest business that
> summer. “ didn’t think I had what it took to
> do it, which is odd because I’m from Idaho and
> Idahoans can do anything,” he says.
>
> The Idahoan has been fighting unwelcome creatures
> for more than a decade, frustrating human
> intruders with a home security outfit he
> co-founded in 1999 in Provo, Utah. Now Pedersen is
> embarking on a push to diversify the
> 5,000-employee company, which had $245 million in
> revenue last year. To do so, he’s combining
> aggressive sales techniques with digital
> technology to automate the home, pushing
> homeowners to embrace a simple way to control
> everything from appliances to locks via a
> smartphone. In February, Pedersen rebranded the
> company, renaming it Vivint for “intelligent
> living.” Sam Lucero, a networking technology
> analyst for ABI Research, calls Vivint “a
> leading edge company in the sense that they have
> moved very quickly. They are an early adopter of
> these kinds of technologies and an early mover
> into this space.”
> http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-20/to-sell-h
> ome-automation-vivint-needs-some-aggressiveness-.h
> tml

Oh geez. I grew up with todd and know his family well. His dad was our bishop for many years

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 02:30PM

This kind of stuff is all over the country. In NY we have Slomin's that does this same type of nasty stuff.

When we lived in WA, we had an alarm system with Monitronics. They were ready to come out ASAP to get us set up, but after that service was awful. They dragged their feet on tranferring the service to the new owner after we sold. After a few years, those people sold the house, and Monitronics would not stop charging them. They ended up getting a lawyer to put a stop to it.

I'm not saying it's not a problem, but the undertone in the article is all about Mitt Romney and nice things he said about Vivint in the past. ABC doesn't normally take on issues like this normally if only 5 families were involved. My guess is battlespace preparation in case Mitt runs again.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 04:28PM

I had one of these alarm sellers come to my door. Just as he said that he was installing alarms in the neighborhoo, my 95 lb German shepherd that I was holding at the collar barked just once.

I looked at him and said, "Does it look like I need an alarm system?"

By the way, I am always suspicious that these folks going door to door in my neighborhood selling this or that are reallly just casing the neighborhood for a later break in.

My dog was a very sweet dog, but I wouldn't envy someone she didn't know trying to break into the house.

Posted by: escapee nli ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 11:57PM

My 86 year old dad gets a lot of telemarketers calling and offering medical alert pendants (he has one and it isn't theirs) and security systems.

He usually just hangs up, but once when ADT or some such called, he replied, "I've got a Winchester, what have you got?"

Other Susan

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 05:42PM

These are Mormon travelers. I have them in my birth family, so I know how they work. I have never seen any other people who have changed their addresses with such frequency.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: December 12, 2014 11:30PM

Utah has been getting raped by door-to-door salesmen for years. The local companies who do it always seem to be owned by Mormons, and horribly sleazy.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 12:35AM

I never thought of recording anything while I worked for them. I did data entry, which meant I was called by the salesperson when they got a yes from the customer. I then interviewed the customer asking if they read the contract. Many were older people and they always said yes.

But I sat 5 feet from the customer service department where it was apparently hilarious to yell at and call customers names and that they would take them to court if they didn't pay up.

They wanted me to work c ustomer service and I turned them dwn. I had the chance to sort through paperwork that was for the licsending of the salespeople in different states. Ialso sort by state the complaints of no license so that they could make sure those sales goe their proper license.
another words they didn['t do it unless they got caught.

I didn't know that this was a bad company till after I was done with my summer work. Sexual harassment was rampant despite all the byuers and rms. It paid good then so that is why I took it.

They are scum though.

As for the military I believe they also prey on the fact that many of the active service members suffer from PTSD and so they would be more likely to want an alarm system.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 13, 2014 11:15PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.