Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:18PM

Inquiring nevermo minds would like a definition. Any takers?

Also, this is different then the sound one makes while eating something yummy, like trolls.

Nom nom nom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:23PM

Oh thank god I'm not the only person that goes, "Nom nom nom" when I see that acronym! Nevermo here too, and I've been curious about this as well. As far as I can tell, Protestant is to Roman Catholic as NOM is to TBM...? Yes, no, sorta? What say ye, wiser board members?

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:26PM

Not one more...?

No one matters

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:30PM

I am a New Order Mormon, and will therefore define.

A New Order Mormon is a a member of the Church, on the records who attends and is still active, and may even participate in callings and teaching, who doesn't believe some or all of the doctrines or teachings of the LDS Church. Generally we attend for family or other reasons not related to the Church.

For example, in my case, my DW has threatened me with divorce and had paperwork ready to file if I ever resign from the Church. Everyone in my family, except for me is TBM, even though funny to say, I am more active than my TBM jack mormon brother.

I figure it this way. Lose the Church and loose everything else, or tolerate the church and keep everything else. I use this place to vent.

What's kind of interesting and maybe hypocritical in a way is that I will occasionally get up and bare my testimony in Church. (I am a Christian in my heart so I ignore the JS and Church is the 'only true church' nonsense)

Got up and gave a rousing testimony of Jesus and the Atonement and grace, etc., just this Sunday and had lots of people coming up and mentioning it was one of the most spiritual testimonies they ever heard. No one seemed to notice I neglected mentioning JS, Thomas Monson, or the Church at all.

I will also throw out a 'make you think' question during Sunday School, and in EQ, or sneak in true but controversial stuff that you aren't supposed to mention during meetings.

I have the reputation of being a very knowledgeable Church History buff.

Posted by: scandahoovian ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 02:17PM

Pardon my ignorance, but why would you stay with a person who is *that* close to divorcing you?

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:32PM

If I may ask, do NOM's tithe?

Date: March 29, 2011 01:52PM

Because your unbelief is kind of hidden from the world. Of course they don't know how much you really make, but yeah...

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:53PM

Each NOM has unique reasons for being NOM.

Date: March 29, 2011 01:54PM

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 08:30PM

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:51PM

Primus-
I assume you have children who are part of the TBMs you mention? Are they grown and locked in the morg, or younger and possibly might make it out?

Date: March 29, 2011 01:57PM

However, since there are only 2 deacons in the whole ward, my 2 boys, anytime he misses, the whole YM group descends on him with concern.

My wife though is about done with the scouting program leaders, so the weekly ym stuff may go the wayside anyways. My wife though insists on Sunday attendance.

I tell her she shouldn't push so hard and be more understanding, or it will just end up blowing up in her face when he gets older.
But we need to set and EXAMPLE NOW!!!

Sometimes I have this dream of creating a NOM organization whose mission is to OFFEND each others spouses somehow so they can go inactive and then leave.

Date: March 29, 2011 02:01PM

Primus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Sometimes I have this dream of creating a NOM
> organization whose mission is to OFFEND each
> others spouses somehow so they can go inactive and
> then leave.

This is the BEST idea!!!

Posted by: T-Rex ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 12:53AM

+1000

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:55PM

Mormons that order boxers and thongs online instead of jesus jammies. "New Order Mormons".

Ron

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:56PM

Are a lot of NOMs in the closet? Still attending, not quite believing, but pretending they believe for the sake of family? I think the girl I'm dating is a NOM, but she gets intensely uncomfortable any time her religion gets brought up, so we don't really talk about it. I know she goes to church every Sunday. She wears the special garments occasionally, but I've only seen them on her when she came to see me without stopping home to change first. She still believes so far as I know, but she's definitely playing a bit fast and loose with the covenants since her divorce. From what I understand she was incredibly devout up until about the last six months of her marriage and the four months since it ended. Now I'm just trying to understand without being obtrusive. Which is why I'm here, picking all your brains instead.

Date: March 29, 2011 01:57PM

For me, I was a NOM for awhile as a transitionary phase in my exit.

I could sense that there were others like me. However, I don't know the percentage or whatever.

Posted by: T-Rex ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 12:55AM

And learn the secret NOM handshake and the Mason symbols for "brother in trouble!"

Date: March 30, 2011 01:29AM

Date: March 29, 2011 02:00PM

Because we are so secretive we don't know about the others in our own ward or stake.

http://www.newordermormon.org/

Some are currently serving as Bishopric Members, Relief Society Presidents, etc.

That wacky member of your ward...may just be one.

Date: March 29, 2011 02:02PM

Newordermormon.org runs the spectrum of believing in "some to all" of the "gospel" without subcribing to the church, does it not?

Date: March 29, 2011 02:07PM

It is quite the spectrum. From People like me who are 'Christians' but think the Church is fault, but try to get enjoyment from the Christian stuff to atheists, to those who are just questioning and need a place to vent about an obnoxious Relief Society sister. No Iron Rodders though that I have seen.

Date: March 29, 2011 02:11PM

A friend of mine is a NOM because his wife won't let him leave. Those of us who are out are working on her to at least let HIM do what he wants while she can do what she wants.

It's a tough thing, I really feel for you guys and am grateful of how lucky I am to have left with my wife.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 02:10PM

and don't let on that they also attend polygamist group meetings.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 02:34PM

I wonder if I'm a NOM. I attend church regularly, and currently hold a calling with the cub scouts (scouting is about the only calling I'd accept). I also go home teaching (and let my companion do all the spiritual stuff, he knows I don't believe).

I don't tithe, I don't take the sacrament, I don't have a temple recommend, I don't bear my testimony, and I don't believe in God.

But I do wear garments, mostly because I don't mind them and I would be distancing myself from my wife otherwise. I only go to church because I don't want my wife to have to manage the kids or sit alone for 3 hours. It's also better to share experiences together, even if I think it's all bogus. I go home teaching and work with scouts because helping people is an absolute good, and those things don't require any gospel to perform.

My wife and family all know that I think the church is rubbish, but I'm still active because I want to share experiences with them. And on rare occasion I even get something good out of church (though most of the time I have to bite my tongue at all the hypocrisy and brainwashing).

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:43PM

You are NOM kimball!

We are NOM as well, don't do or believe alot of what is said or done--we gave up on tithing and the temple a long time ago. We've never been TBM, because we've never believed 100% in it all, so I can't say we go regularly. Usually once or twice a month. We are open with our kids and tell them the good and bad about church, we also attend other churches on occasion. Fortunately in our family we both agree a little religion is ok and we both have our doubts. I really feel for those whose marriage is on the edge over religion.

As for why we continue to go, we feel religion has a place in helping to provide a moral compass in life. This is not to say you can't have morals without it, but if you are in an environment with high morals you are less likely to find yourself in harmful situations. Does that make sense? By not pressuring our kids to be perfect, we hope they will make good choices in general. Religion in any form does not trump our family however, and if we disagree with something said at church we will discuss why it is wrong. I lurk here and on other boards to see what others point of view are, and there are some good arguments made.

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:45PM

I guess what I am saying is, we still believe in God, but not necessarily the Mormon God. Without learning why people believe the way they do though, you can become just as insular. There is a balance and a little church is fine.

Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 08:26PM

These are my thoughts, I am not directing them to you specifically Jessica.

You CAN have "high morals" and not be a religious person. To believe that one must be around religious people for high morals is a prejudicial belief that I find disconcerting.

And why subject children to cultish behavior and teachings? What I often read and hear from those who attend LDS services, and don't fully believe it, "there's good in the church". Ok, well, why not take your children to a strip club? (Mormondum being the whore of religions) You can introduce them to the beauty of the body (or the beauty of religion at an organization that has the behavioral characteristics of a cult). You could have taken them to the ballet (a religion that isn't controlling or unhealthy), to introduce them to that beauty, but decided differently.

So, would you take your children to a strip club? I doubt it. And why? Because they aren’t mature enough to understand it. So, why subject your children to the influence of an organization that is psychologically unhealthy, and something that cannot fully be understood or comprehended by them, when there are so many healthy things in this world that deserve their attention?

You may see the good in LDS services but your children may be picking up doctrine or being taught things that counter your beliefs. It would be easy enough for your children to just go with the flow of the majority without giving it much thought - and most people do. And how do you know they are fully sharing what they learned with you? Can you counter every unhealthy aspect of this so called religion? I honestly doubt it. We are the products of our family, culture, genetics, and community. When surrounded with unhealthy behavior and influence-- that is what is learned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 08:33PM by emanon.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:50PM

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 01:34AM

Yeah, and thanks to Primus for his input. I wasn't aware of his story. I always like his posts.

Posted by: TheExorcist ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 01:17AM

Ok, nice, so now I know what I am. A NOM. Go to church, tithe, hold a calling, home teach, attend the temple. All for my wife. Who has threatened to leave me and take my son with her if I leave the church. So I "act as if".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.