Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:39PM

A couple weeks ago, I wrote on RFM that my son was performing in a school event and had volunteered to display a number of ballet moves while wearing a pink tutu. His performance was today and he did amazing. He was so happy and beaming while performing, I thoroughly enjoyed watching him from the front row of the High School auditorium.

For 3 decades I was an active TBM. My shelf began to crack around the time of Prop 8 and when bishops of local, non-california wards read a letter from the first presidency asking for funding assistance to fight Prop 8.

I am pro-gay rights. Said better, I'm anti-discrimination. I never understood why we shouldn't allow adults to make adult decisions for themselves....so, following a religion that actively taught otherwise deeply disturbed me and I couldn't reconcile it with my belief in acting Christian (which was important to me at that time).

Anyway, at this performance, my son danced for several minutes in a pink tutu and I loved watching him. He was happy, alive, healthy, active and enjoying himself through dance. I am so proud.

Afterwards, I got a big hug from him as his class walked by to find their seats (to watch the rest of the school perform).

I'm so glad I'm done reconciling in my mind the difference between what the mormon church teaches and how to be good father/man. I feel sorry for the fathers before me, members of the mormon faith, who might have missed the chance to see their son dance in a tutu, then stand up and hug him afterwards. Any man who was too ashamed to do that because of their religious convictions missed a fantastic moment with their child.

I believe that love will conquer evil.

Anyway, thanks for reading. To anybody who remembers my post a couple weeks ago: my son performed great!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:40PM

Topping. Love this. Thank you for sharing, Hopeful.

Posted by: Ex-Sis Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:57PM

There were other parents of LGBT children there and you set an exemplary example. Good going dad!

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:10PM

Boy scout experience.....

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:12PM

Your son will never forget that experience, nor your unconditional love for him.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:18PM

What a wonderful experience for both of you!!! :D

I am so happy for your son...

...and---please don't consider it presumptuous!---I am so proud of you and of the person you have chosen, and worked, to be.

Congratulations for being a VERY good Dad...and a mensch. :)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 03:13PM

You might let him know that he has a number of huge fans from your "internet group," who are proud of both of you, and who wish they could have seen his performance...

:)

Way to go, dad.

Posted by: TDWMB ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 06:48PM

everything!

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 07:32PM

If he likes ballet, as a boy he can have top-notch training on scholarships all the way, and either go pro or attend college on a dance scholarship. About half of male dancers are gay, half straight, and it's a great way to develop friendships and self discipline. If you tell me the nearest city I will recommend a good school/program/age for him - or just go to one associated with a well-known professional company.

My daughter has loved pink tutus so much since she put one on at age 2. So did her mentor, a man who danced in pink tutus as an adult with the celebrated Ballet Trocadero.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 07:33PM by vh65.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 07:36PM

Great to hear!

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:34PM

I will add my hardy congratulations to you both! Way to go dad!!!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:37PM

I am in tears! You are ONE FABULOUS FATHER. Thanks for sharing. Your son is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have him...
That is all there is to say except that I always wish you both the best. Your relationship is destined to be great forever.

Posted by: chimera ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:41PM

Your son sounds like an amazing person--and I have no doubt that you're one amazing dad! Keep up the good work and tell your son congrats for me. :)

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 11:44PM

Stories like yours make my tail wag and wag!

You can compare it to that human thing where ya feel this uncontrollable smile creeping over your face, heading for your ears.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.