Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: March 22, 2015 03:59PM

to go there? Like in my ward, they are having the young men going around aerating ward member's lawns for a donation)something my TBM dad wants them to do anyway). We live in a rural area and fields often are around most people's property.
With all the money that the morg has shouldn't the morg be paying for the youth's trip to Nauvoo next summer? Just how much does it cost to even go there? It's not no Disneyland.

What's next for fundraisers? Weeding people's yards? Mowing people's lawns?Cleaning their houses(inside)!?? Why is the morg going around doing these fundraisers? Dinners at the church!?
Or is the money and tithing situation a lot worse than people around here think??!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 22, 2015 04:24PM

It sounds like typical fundraising activity for a special trip. Schools and other churches often do the same. I don't see anything unusual about it.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 22, 2015 04:32PM

That's also how I see it, schools and other churches often have fundraisers to send students on a special trip. Schools often do that to send their kids to Washington DC, or to some place for their musicians to perform It's how schools from outside of California get to have their bands participate in the Rose Parade every year, they have fundraisers.

Anyway, for the Morg, Nauvoo is an important place just as Bethlehem or Jerusalem is for Christians, so it's not surprising that a ward would have fundraisers to send their youth there.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: March 22, 2015 05:13PM

But not the morg. They did this stuff decades ago. Old timers on here know about it. Not now.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: March 22, 2015 05:30PM

To me it is sort of bone chilling that Mormons go to Nauvoo and think it is a faith-promoting experience. I am amazed that the tour guides can manage to only tell the good things that will give members the warm fuzzies. I bet they have a lot of problems with ex-Mormons, anti-Mormons, and non-Mormon history buffs visiting and taking tours. They probably ask the tour guides some very uncomfortable questions. And those poor tour guides can't just say that it is all malicious anti-Mormon lies, because now it is in the essays on lds.org.

I bet a lot of people get thrown out of tour groups.

Posted by: TSB8C ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 10:23AM

I have been to Nauvoo a few times, and not on any group or guided tours, and I have never seen or heard any "ex-Mormons, anti-Mormons, and non-Mormon history buffs" asking uncomfortable questions or things the volunteer guides couldn't or wouldn't answer.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 10:44AM

It wasn't Nauvoo, but in nearby Carthage, that I, as a non-Mormon, put one of the sister missionaries (who we met at the Nauvoo Pageant) on the spot last summer. I recounted it in "Nauvoo Vacation". It was not a good experience for anybody involved.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1844751,1852644#msg-1852644

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 10:33AM

So what ever happened to SII?

Gone but never forgotten.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 03:48PM

Still posting under a different name.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 10:46AM

This is the same as lowering the missionary age in order to tighten the strings. They suppose that going to Nauvoo will be a spiritual experience that will cement the brainwashing further. I hope they suppose wrong. But you know, often when all your friends with moist eyes are claiming to feel the spirit we seem to able to whip ourselves into a frenzy as well.

If you know kids who are going, it would be nice if they knew the facts about what really happened at the jail--that Joseph had a gun, a bottle wine, and he and Hyrum gave almost as good as they got when it came to the gunfight. Innocent lambs to the slaughter don't shoot first or shoot back. You would think at least one angel with a flaming sword could have showed but though.

Posted by: sb ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 10:52AM

I was the YMs president in a Spanish branch in Utah. All of my boys were converts and had never been to any church history sites. I had the idea of doing a fundraiser: spaghetti dinners for the ward and renting 3 buses to go go to nauvoo, 2 would carry members that paid for a ticket, the 3rd bus would carry young men and their families. We raised the money. As I began researching which waiver the parents needed to sign, the steak president called me in and told me that we could not go. He said the church has a strict rule on not going out of state for activities. We were devastated, we had to refund people and the kids were very disappointed.
18 months later, the steak president chartered a bus and took the kids in his ward to nauvoo.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 04:11PM

So, let me see if I got this right:

Those somewhat darker skinned Latino convert kids could not take a field trip outside of the stake boundaries, but those white and delightfulsome kids COULD...

Nah, there's no racism in LD$, Inc...

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 11:33PM

Heard families talking about kids going the other day. Nothing new. It's a moron thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.