Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 23, 2015 11:22AM

In another thread--where I was reminiscing about visiting with my grandfather ETB when he was Mormon Church president back in the 1980s and had come to Phoenix for the swearing in of eventually-impeached Arizona Mormon governor Ev Mecham--poster "lvskeptic" chimed in:

"The closest thing to a GA that I ever saw fly on Delta was Hulk Hogan....on a flight from SLC to Atlanta.....first class, of course.

"Any thoughts on Hulk Hogan livening up Conference?"

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,864659,1543882#msg-1543882

Since I thought that was a great question and decided it would be nice if it had its own thread, I've popped it to the top. In answer to the above question, here's what I said in that other thread:

"A fake wrestler would still be better than the fraud of Mormonism. They're certainly a lot more entertaining--especially since everyone knows its a big make-believe act and enjoys the ride without blinders on.

"And when I say everyone knows it's a big make-believe act, that "everyone" includes (I would suspect) most seasoned GAs--with some exceptions. I think my grandfather was one of those exceptions.

"Knowing him and spending as much time with him as I did, I think he genuinely believed the Mormon Church was true. (I think he possessed that mindset through a combination of ingrained, lifetime brainwashing, a fervent desire to believe and perhaps a bit of self-denial to maintain a life in a culture and tradtion that he enjoyed, valued, was comforatble with and was used to).

"He wasn't Church president long enough before he became so physically and mentally incapacitated that he truly didn't know what was going on--which kept him from going the full stint as Mormon Church 'prophet' without ever having talked face-to-face with Jesus. (He became Church president in November 1985, was basically out of its day-ot-day administrative action by no later than 1989 and died in 1994)

"Discovering that the Mormon Church was, at its historical and doctrinal core, a fraud would have been a complete downer for him--one that I suspect he would not have shared with anyone else except maybe his therapist. And he didn't have a therapist (at least not one that he ever told me about. See?)"
_____

Take it away, ex-Mo sistahs and bros.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 11:25AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 23, 2015 12:08PM

At least he had 42 years to know he was an Apostle of God and take counsel with five Mormon prophets prior to becoming one. If that wasn't a long enough time behind the curtain, five more years wouldn't have helped.

Rather critical times too! Going dark on finances, proclaiming doctrinal bigotry and then taking it away with a policy later, and then the whole blow up about odd salamander mysticism and folklore .

Nothing to see here. Read the Book of Mormon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 12:10PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: anon1234 ( )
Date: March 23, 2015 01:15PM

Just a fact, South Park started as an Xmas Card... Jesus vs Santa.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 23, 2015 01:20PM

Hogan and a Prophet.. whats the difference?

They are both playing a part, both actors.

I wouldn't buy a ticket to see either. They're

not even entertaining.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: March 23, 2015 05:31PM

How about the Incredible Hulk vs. Elohim.

Puny god, indeed . . .

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: March 24, 2015 09:18AM

The Hulkster would wear a white shirt, tie and suit just like everyone else. But it would be a tearaway version; once he approached the lectern he rips it off and starts speaking in his own style.

This is why Christian fundamentalism is still doing well, much better than Mormonism. It's much-younger preachers have charisma and personality, and don't talk in monotone droning style set to soft background music the same speeches recycled from 30 years before.

Tully Blanchard and Ted DiBiase would attract a far bigger following than 90-year-old geezers in suits.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 25, 2015 05:13PM

We do get an idea of how some clues about how this might work out in the Hulkster's blockbuster: "Santa Claus with Muscles."

One of those things you learn, when you host bad movie parties.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.