Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lastofthewine ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 12:52PM

In the temple recommend interview when they ask if you associate with any apostate groups, does RFM qualify? I always wonder this when defenders of tscc pop into RFM for a cameo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 12:58PM

They are being Samuel the Lamanite.

They are only violating Forum rules, not associating with apostate rules.

Posted by: abaddon ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:05PM

Yeah, I would say we are an apostate group, haha.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:14PM

Many have forgotten that this question about apostate groups was added in the 1950s when law enforcement in Utah was trying to eliminate polygamy. They met with David O. MacKay and made a deal. He would add the TR questions and counsel bishops to turn in polygamists if the police and FBI would back off from their major affront which was a huge embarrassment to the church.

The question was not intended to keep members from associating with less devout friends and family. RfM is not a polygamous or splinter group. Bishops who question this reality need to study the history and learn the facts.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:37PM

Nothing Unusual about the purpose/application of something from times past to morph into something unforeseen then, is it?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:11PM

Or is the term so muddled that no one in the morg knows what to call it?

Posted by: Armand Tamzarian ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 03:14PM

That didn't work out very well for law enforcement, did it?

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:18PM

I've sat through a couple TR interviews in the past while being an active RfM poster and answered to the negative about associating with apostate groups.

I long ago realized that its OK to afford the LDS church the same honesty as it has given me.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:19PM

Many members check RfM like drowning victims coming up for air. Some have spouses that live in Zion crazy town 24/7. Some check bogus doctrine they hear at church...

Associate would be hanging out in person, however that definition was established before internet forums.... Some people have been tracked down by details and outed.

The church must hesitate to boot tithe payers these days. Revoking a rec would mean the person would be less obligated to pay, pray, and obey.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:22PM

Or, I wonder if participating here merits DFing or exing. It's not as if we're at church speaking evil, or overtly advertising or sharing our discontent with believers.

Posted by: Lightworker ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:25PM

For LDS to denigrate us they use the term apostate. Are we apostate from the truth or lies. We are the Enlightened group. The word apostate should be banished from this site unless it is qualified with "false teachings/beliefs"

Posted by: abaddon ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:30PM

Amen!

Posted by: Lightworker ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:25PM

For LDS to denigrate us they use the term apostate. Are we apostate from the truth or lies. We are the Enlightened group. The word apostate should be banished from this site unless it is qualified with "false teachings/beliefs"

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 01:41PM

Lightworker, I love the title you give this group, "The Englightened Group".
From within darkness, to enlightened.
Thanks.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:38PM

If we are the Enlightened Ones, then that translates well to the word "Illuminati."

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 02:00PM

If it is, then I want someone to issue me a card so that I can say that I am a card-carrying member of an apostate group!

#somuchbetterthanatemplerecommend

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 03:34PM

It's the Mormon Church that is the Apostate Group.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:02PM

mmmmmm, apostacy.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:08PM

with LDS, Inc., It's ALL ABOUT THE CHURCH, not living Christian values, principles.

the indicators of this are Sooooooooooooo Obvious! It's a wonder anyone misses them!!!!

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:14PM

No. The REAL "apostates" were those in our ancestry who left the religions of their heritage to join in JS's polygamous group. They created generations of unhappiness, servitude, financial victimization, and sometimes physical abuse, and my children and I did.

In my definition, one doesn't "apostatize" from a CULT; one escapes.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:50PM

Sure. I guess the LDS corporation could consider it that. But I wear the label gladly, because I don't have a TR to yank.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:53PM

In my somewhat humble opinion, RfM isn't a group at all. It's a network of individuals. Most attempts to enforce group norms on this site have been farcical and counterproductive.

I think there are certain behavioral standards that would apply to a site like this, but they're almost universal both online and in a civilized society. Basic things like use your education and common sense, don't out people over differing opinions, read first before you reply, don't go out of your way to insult people. Those are good things, and adhering to them doesn't make RfM a cult, an apostate group, or some sort of alternative religion. Any more than using the English language makes us subjects of Her Royal Majesty.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:56PM

Yep.

Posted by: Ten Bear ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 04:57PM

You can't get apostatier.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 08:08PM

YUP...I YAM WHAT I YAM...

RB

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 09:17PM

Who here goes for a temple recommend interview?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 11:34PM

I look in the mirror every morning and ask myself the TR questions. If I say yes to any of them, I start over...

Also, I am not just an apostate, I am a Filthy Apostate!!

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: March 31, 2015 11:49PM

Apostate groups in this context means splinter groups, not the likes of RfM or PostMo. There have been a few purposes to it over the years, including preventing the AUB members from getting access to the temple.

There seem to be tin-foil-y posts every once in a while that the LDS church will mandate internet control software on its members' machines and bust members for visiting the likes of these sites. Besides being exhausting, the church really doesn't care if you associate with RfM and its ilk provided your doing so won't give them a black eye in either the PR or fiduciary sense.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 02:29PM

Exmos are apostates.

Apostate: a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle.

Sounds like RFM to me.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 04:32PM

We are part of the Enlightenment Era.

A new chapter in Mormon history.

Breaking free of the bondage from lies and oppression.

How does that make any one of us an apostate?

That is only a label someone else ascribes, it isn't an attribute of who or what we are.

I prefer being "in Recovery" as more fitting because mormondom is a cult, not a religion. Big difference IMO.

Apostate: not. Enlightened: most definitely.

Posted by: you say so ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 05:06PM

Deviants make up mormonism, because it's a cult. Leaving its clutches does not an apostate make therefore no ex-mo should classify themselves as such. That gives too much credence to it being a religion, when in fact it has always been a deviant cult, not a church.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: April 01, 2015 05:48PM

Apostate here and proud of it. Even have a t shirt proclaiming same.

from wikipedia:
Apostasy (/əˈpɒstəsi/; Greek: ἀποστασία (apostasia), "a defection or revolt") is the formal disaffiliation from, or abandonment or renunciation of a religion by a person. It can also be defined within the broader context of embracing an opinion contrary to one's previous beliefs.[2] One who commits apostasy (or who apostatizes) is known as an apostate. The term apostasy is used by sociologists to mean renunciation and criticism of, or opposition to, a person's former religion, in a technical sense and without pejorative connotation.

Yep that's me.

Date: April 01, 2015 05:53PM

Why then if being an apostate is only used to describe ex-Mos?

I don't hear of former Catholics calling themselves apostates, or Jews, or Protestants.

I find it a derogatory term used by Mormons to describe exers, who exercised their First Amendment Rights and high tailed it out of a known cult.

It's only a religion when you accept it as such. By all standards, it is a cult, therefore NOT a religion.

Date: April 01, 2015 05:56PM

By calling oneself an apostate only endorses more of mormonism's derogatory terms similar to being excommunicated or disfellowshipped implies.

Why submit to them any more authority over yours or others identities?

Call them the deviants! Those who left just abandoned the cult, don't give them the power to describe who you are.

I reject them wholly and outright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 05:59PM by amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.