Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 03:18PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Master C ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 03:19PM

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 03:47PM

Posted by: mick ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 07:22PM

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 05:34PM

One article says 700 members.........but next article says almost 800 members showed up.

Number problems again......

How many are active at the burned down chapel?

How many wards? How many per ward?

Weird numbers
K

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 07:14PM

I bet the Tabernacle has sprinklers. I bet the SLC temple has sprinklers. It looks like they went to the trouble to put the new steeple design on the church and a new entryway with pillars. Why not run a sprinkler system? I am sure there has to be a retired Mormon plumber in the area who they could have called on a service mission to do the work for free.

It will be interesting to see if this leads the church to start retrofitting older chapels with sprinklers.

Posted by: rgrraymond ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 01:04AM

It makes me think of that good old Mormon Hymn, The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:17AM

about this is it will make martyrs out of them. We want them irrelevant not martyred. Not good for the Exmo movement.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:28AM

this member automatically suspects someone outside the Morg. It could be anyone.

"I mean there's not a lot of tolerance for different religions, it seems like in our country but just because we don’t believe the same doesn't mean we can't live in the same world and that's what bother me the most," said Rebecca Berman.

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:35AM

I have to say, however, that I think it is interesting that Mormons expect unending tolerance of them while they as a church demonstrate so little of it for certain other people. They can certainly dish it out ...

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 12:12PM

Not cool. This is not time to celebrate. Being on the wrong side of history is no justification for destruction of property. I'm just glad this didn't happen when people were there.

Yes, they are backward. Yes, they are homophobic. Yes, they might even push people over the edge by making them feel isolated because they are gay. But you don't handle that by burning down buildings.

If this is in retaliation for their stance on homosexuality, it's terrorism. Terrorism seeks to punish people and frighten them into compliance. (We will stop destroying your buildings as soon as you see things our way.)

Finally, the Mormon church sure is taking a beating in the comments. People have figured out how backward they are. But what a waste of time. Go out and enjoy the rest of the good weather!

Posted by: Skeptical ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 08:12PM

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 12:36PM

I agree with T-Bone, burning down a church is not the way to show you dont agree with their views.

The really unforunate thing is that the members are probably going to be hit up for some of the rebuiling costs. I dont see TSCC parting with some of their billions to pay 100% of the cost.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 12:37PM

More fuzzy numbers. They probably have less 150 active people who attend all wards but 700 on the rolls.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 12:59PM

I really hope they catch the Mormon who did it.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 02:10PM

I wonder if anyone thought it might just be kids trying to have fun.

The closest ward building to me has had so many broken windows, stolen objects like TVs and VCRs and the sound equipment a few times that they put up a fence.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 03:48PM

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 03:52PM

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 05:16PM

Is it bad that I can't help but wonder if some desperate Mo did this to fan the persecution flames?

Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 05:17PM

there sure have been a lot of fires in Chapels and Temples. I went to a number of dedications of temples and Church buildings and heard the prayers and blessing the buildings with the power of the Priesthood.

I guess God and His angels are busy with other things these days like wondering how the Mall is coming along. etc.

But seriously, I used to get warm fuzzies knowing that God would bless His buildings. I am not sure how to explain this to myself except maybe the Priesthood Power is not what I was told it was!!! If the Priesthood Power can't stop a fire how can it move a mountain?

This is a brick building. I assume it had security. So it looks like an inside job. Ever try to burn bricks!!!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 05:49PM

I agree with T-Bone, this is not cool at all, and isn't something I would celebrate. I was actually disturbed by some of the comments on one of those websites, from people calling themselves Christian.

Posted by: Way Out ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 09:13PM

Only because I watched Dimetri Martin, Person yesterday does this pop into mind, but he had a blurb that:

game + set + match = tennis

set + match + run = arson

I do hope they catch whoever did it and they are held responsible.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.