Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 09:23PM

I've been on a long road trip. Just what in the heck is that weird sculpture on I-80 in the middle of the salt flats? You know the one. It looks like a tree with croquet balls on the ends (and the top one is broken). Does anybody know the story behind that?

On another note, I passed through SLC in the middle of the afternoon. Ya'll have the most insane drivers between Cheyenne and San Fran. I would rather drive in the bay area anytime. My wife agreed with my description as the "Utard 500".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 09:31PM

I'm a delivery driver in Salt Lake for work. There are so many terrible drivers on the road it makes me mad. People are so impatient they can't let a box truck ever change lanes in front of them. I put my signal on and cars always move faster to be right next to me so I can't even get over.

Date: April 22, 2015 10:39PM

I noticed that to. Everywhere else I've ever driven people will see your signal and let you in. That has not been my experience in SLC. Driving seemed like a competition on how to screw the other guy over.

Posted by: straightoutacumorah ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 10:47PM

My favorite move is speeding up when I am trying to pass them. I may follow them for 10 miles at 65, but when I try and go around suddenly they are doing 80. Also, Utahns like to be in front. I have people pass me all the time to then just suddenly slow down to 5 mph slower than I was going.

The worst is the mix of people going 20 over the speed limit and the idiots on the phone doing 15 under. Its like an obstacle course on the freeway.

Date: April 22, 2015 10:42PM

Thanks MJ. Knowing that makes it more interesting and less of an oddity. I gotta admit, I couldn't figure it out. But I admit my artistic sense has faded since my college years.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 10:00PM

They seem to have a thing for what I consider to be peculiar sculpture. There's the spiral jette. And the Sun Tunnels. Especially odd that stodgy Utah hosts these things.

http://www.utah.com/wendover/suntunnels.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=spiral+jetty+meaning&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS568US568&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=767&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=91E4VZb0J8uXsAXlk4HQBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Perhaps I'm just an uncultured lout to fail to appreciate these things.

Posted by: bornagainpagan ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 10:12PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment/51832250-81/green-river-ratio-steiner.html.csp

Don't forget Green River flippin' everyone on I-70 the bird!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.