Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 01:39AM

I don't know if the political science/government/politics/current events (i.e., Civil Rights-related) books were sold in Deseret Book stores.

WERE they???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 01:40AM by tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 01:41AM

Steve. Calling Steve. Cleanup Aisle 3. Steve.

(I do not know)

Date: April 23, 2015 01:42AM

Void K. Packer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve. Calling Steve. Cleanup Aisle 3. Steve.
>
> (I do not know)

Neither do I.

;)

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 08:38AM

FWIW, I was browsing a See-Gull-Ible bookstore and scanned a biographical book about ETB, and saw Steve's name just once in the index, and it was for some happy family moment in the past.

I don't remember seeing any other type of books about him, even those involving the John Birch Society or whatever. Everything's sanitized to make Mormon leaders look like great, compassionate people.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 09:56AM

To add to OP question: What about books that were sold by Deseret Book in the past, say the 50's and 60'S. Likewise the sale of books ETB publicly endorsed like "The Black Hammer", that he wrote the forward for. It is one of the most racist hate filled books I've ever seen and/or read. The cover alone presents a most damning image.

http://sainesburyproject.com/mormonstuff/The%20Black%20Hammer

Btw, a physical copy of this book is extremely hard to locate or even find a library or reseller reference for. Clearly there has been a significant effort to remove all copies of it And wipe any knowledge of its existence out - perhaps by TSCC. I try to verify my research as best I can with multiple sources - ideally down to scanned images. But this was so over the top that I wanted to see a real copy.

"I can testify to the existence of "The Black Hammer" as I obtained a copy of it through an inter library loan and have seen it with my own 'natural' eyes and handled it with my physical hands. I opened it and the lettering looked to be 'times Roman' font and the words were hateful in the most crystal clear of venomous language. I read it and the truth of ETB's rascism and vile beliefs were unambiguous." I 'electronically sign' this testimony with my own finger on my own keyboard. Mannaz.

A collection of scans of all these types of ETB books & documents should never be allowed to fade and disappear. Likewise the subsequent quoting or references of these by others who have been members of the 15.

Date: April 23, 2015 10:12AM

I grew up with this book in my maternal grandparents' house, and I read it (and "at" it) many times, and over a period of years.

I thought the entire book was written by ETB---I didn't realize that he had just written the forward.

From my earliest memory, it was a despicable book...and my opinion has not changed in the decades since.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.