Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 10:52PM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/candacelowry/this-woman-shows-what-its-like-to-live-with-two-vaginas#.lu8KwD0VM

Sometimes genitals get a little mixed up while developing in the womb and usually results in an intersexed person (FYI, hermaphrodite is no longer used and not appropriate terminology.) I've seen pictures of men with two penises or more and but for some reason never wondered nor heard about women being born with two vaginas. An enlarged clitoris? Sure. No uterus? Yup. Outwardly normal female genitals but has XY chromosomes? Of course.
The biology of sex isn't always as clear cut as we want it to be and it makes society very uncomfortable.

Keep in mind peeps, biology loves variation, society does not.

I've watched Cassandra's make-up videos a few times and she seems like a lovely person, inside and out. She's struggled for so long with painful, out of control cystic acne and the cruelty that goes along with it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:01PM

Is this for real? I ask because Nene of housewives of Atlanta

was at the end of it.

Date: April 30, 2015 11:11PM

That GIF is used frequently on Buzzfeed.

But you knowing a her name reveals a little something about you. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 11:20PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:20PM

Yikes !!!!!!!

I've never heard of that before.

Thanks for sharing it Itzapapalotl.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:28PM

Tests, these silly sorts of abnormalities are just tests, from a loving, uber-manic ghawd who begs you not to laugh loud so he doesn't have to punish you for being what he made you, but doesn't want you to be.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:02AM

That is honestly fascinating! I didn't know this existed, but just goes to show - people develop biologically in many different ways. At first I was thinking, 'how would people not realize they had two holes'.... But then I googled the condition and it showed a drawn picture and I could see how one might not realize it, or until a little later in life, or just be very confused by it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:10AM

and have for far too long. The first time I'd ever heard of intersexed people is I typed up a report on a young girl who had been in a car accident and they couldn't catheterize her. Up until that point, the parents had no idea.

It was rather eye-opening to me as I was struggling with why my husband was gay.

Date: May 01, 2015 12:17AM

Maybe even smaller than that.

It's heartwrenching to read and watch intersexed people tell their stories of how doctors treated them and the often botched gender assignments.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:48AM

Yes, I'm sure Cassandra finds her variations and pain hilarious, especially when adult children gather, point and laugh. Must bring forth many joyful childhood and adolescent memories for her.

The concept of the difference of others plays right into LDS hate.

http://www.firstpeople.us/articles/the-two-spirit-people-of-indigenous-north-americans.html

How brave and beautiful she is, showing her authentic, evolving self to the world. I'm probably misguided, as she needs no defender. I'm in awe of her.

Sexual "anomalies" and variations may be viewed as an evolutionary advance in another million years. It may be thought barbaric that surgeons and religion worked to eradicate them. Who knows what the creatures who may think this will look like, or how they will reproduce?

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:14AM

Would Joseph Smith have married her twice?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:18AM

A woman that could be her own sister wife!

A do it yourself threesome!

One must wonder if the Kardashians might install this after market option.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 05:15AM

And you could continue to mock people with unfortunate medical conditions!

"Look! That person is blind! Let's go kick their guide dog! Haw haw haw!"

Posted by: girlawakened ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:55AM

Working for a urological nonprofit assisting in genital anatomy variations throughout the world, it is more common than most could imagine. In dealing with urologic conditions, regardless of which country we work in, it is met with embarrassment and in many places treated as taboo. We're working hard to correct that.

Date: May 01, 2015 12:59AM

What's the word on Religious Street as to why these things happen? When you deal with religious people, how do they accommodate these anatomical facts with their views on the plan of life being so ... perfect?

Date: May 01, 2015 11:05PM

Do you remember the Indian girl born with extra limbs and she was hailed a the reincarnation of a goddess?

I have to wonder if this is part of the super secret sacred rituals in ancient temples (Not Mo ones, obviously) around various parts of the world. If it happened once, it likely happened several times in our history as people. Or were these the babies thrown out and exposed to die?

Lots of questions, few answers, least of all why does this happen?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 03:28AM

There's a famous Hellenistic sculpture (from time of Roman Empire) of a hermaphrodite. I'm not sure if they thought it was erotic, amusing, sacred or what. But it's actually a beautifully done sculpture.

Date: May 02, 2015 10:49AM

And upon googling, it looks like that was a popular subject for sculptures.

The legend behind Hermaphroditus is a strange one, but no more bizarre than the several of the lesser known Greek Myths. The story goes that he was the child of the goddess of sexual love, Aphrodite, and the god of travelers, Mercury. A water nymph fell madly in love with him but he rejected her. While bathing, she jumped in with him and melded her body with his, becoming both male and female. The story is considered metaphorical, that an equal balance of both the masculine and feminine is the most desired. Androgyny today is also considered an ideal depending on who you talk to and what psychological discipline you subscribe to.

Just to be clear, hermaphrodite is not an okay term for those born with ambiguous genitalia, the accepted term is intersexed.

Yes, I'm a mythology nerd, too.

Date: May 01, 2015 10:54PM

ETA, Also a video on the struggles of the intersexed: http://www.buzzfeed.com/lizzwarner/what-its-like-to-be-intersex#.xokqQK7ve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 10:58PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 10:57PM

Maybe she needs to hook up with the guy I saw online who has two penises.

Date: May 01, 2015 10:59PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 08:28AM

Yeah. Never realised how many heartless, vile creatures there were infesting RFM.

Still, I expect they'll be out today, having fun tripping up blind people, laughing at the disabled and the like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 08:29AM by matt.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 10:29AM

This seems more interesting than unfortunate to me. Human variations are fascinating.

Date: May 02, 2015 10:55AM

The sucky part is her menstrual cycle- She can have her menses anywhere from 3 days to weeks at a time. I don't know how you don't end up anemic from that. My sister had some FRIs and ended up anemic from an uncontrollable menses.

I'm trying to understand why people find this so easy to make fun of, but I also know that's the nature of this forum. I'm not going to shame you for making tasteless jokes, but I will tell you it's a hack, unoriginal form of humour.

Cassandra's been dealt a pretty shitty hand already with her beyond severe acne (which is painful, physically and emotionally) so I think she'll get through this, too.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 10:38AM

Even if some people went too far with the humor, you in turn went way, way too far with the attempted shaming. But that doesn't make you heartless and vile, so have a nice day.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 12:34PM

Bullies are cowards who need the support of even weaker cowards.

They gather in temples and travel in pairs or groups, seeking prey.

All the better if they can bully anonymously online. It's the modern equivalent of a pointy white hood.

Posted by: crunchynevmo ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 04:00AM

what joke? Could be a match made in the celestial kingdom!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 04:35AM by crunchynevmo.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 04:45AM

What a boon to the Everlasting Principle......

Two wives for the price of one.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 08:13AM

> I've watched Cassandra's make-up videos a few
> times and she seems like a lovely person, inside
> and out.

Don't you mean inside, inside, and out?

(I'm sorry.)

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:35AM

I learned of this when studying mid midwifery. It was handled as simply as one would,this person is delivering a large baby, have them take this position for delivery, this person has a baby in this position, this is what you do.

The book just told of how they'd had one lady who had delivered two healthy babies; one out of each "pipe" as they called it. The midwives who wrote the midwife manual were very pragmatic about it. They told what to look out for and move forward giving the best prenatal and labor care possible.

But it hadn't occurred to me how having double periods could be! No fun at all. No need to feel ashamed though. Sad it gets such an adverse reaction....

Date: May 02, 2015 11:45AM

Thank you for sharing this info. So it happens often enough, it's a topic in the study of midwifery. The vagina is a an amazing organ.

Date: May 02, 2015 11:52AM

I can't imagine where I'd be without it!!!

So why don't we have a national Vagina Day?

I wonder what revelations Joseph Smith received about the Vagina, and I would really, really like to know what the original temple ceremony said about the Vagina, before BY had it stealthily excised?

Date: May 02, 2015 12:28PM

No, it's not what you think, pervs.

http://www.vday.org/about.html#.VUT7D_lViko

BF took me to see The Vagina Monologues at UVSC as one of our first official dates. That's when I knew he was a keeper. :)

ETA: Another reason I find this topic so fascinating is because there was a very good chance I would have been born intersexed or have other genital anomalies. My mother took fertility drugs to have me (she kept miscarrying) and my siblings. My two sisters both have had FRIs and I wonder when mine will start, but I may get lucky. So, I have a lot of compassionate for people with these issues and want to break down the barrier of shame and silence around it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2015 12:32PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: May 02, 2015 11:56AM

Why would god create such a person?

Date: May 02, 2015 12:15PM

Ghawd's quality control department is messed up?

Here's the one that got me: two eggs are 'quickened' and ascend into the uterus. As they grow, one of them envelopes the other one, which then 'dies' and becomes simply a benign tumor within the body of the successful embryo.

18 years later, during his pre-mission medical, the 'tumor' is discovered and excised, and bits and pieces of the fraternal twin are easily distinguished.

Where are the revelations that explain this process?

When I went in for my pre-mission physical, the doc pointed out two dark spots about six inches below each of my (please excuse my bluntness) nipples. With a grin on his face, he asked me if I knew what they were. I said, "No sir, I don't." He said they were vestigial nipples. And he confirmed that it was evidence of evolution.

Which made me wonder if the CK model of the human body had females with four, six or eight breasts? That would make sense if women only existed to give birth.

This may be why White Religion, which is so pure, so tidy, isn't able to deal with the messiness of Real Life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.