Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: greengooblygook ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 03:41PM

So oregon has a active volcano of its shores and l a had a 4.8 (?) Earthquake. Is it going to fall off into the ocean or is yellowstone to blow first? Any other crazy mormon last me the that I'm missing?

Goob

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 07:31PM

The Pacific Plate and the North American Plate are slipping past each other, North-South. Nothing's going to "fall into the ocean." Where I live (near San Diego), we're on the Pacific Plate side of things, we're moving North-West (absolute position on the earth) at about 3-4 inches per year on average. In a few million years, San Diego will be where Los Angeles is now...hope we don't get the smog! :)

Date: May 05, 2015 12:23AM

Have you ever broke apart a moist cookie. It never falls apart in one peice. California could become a crumb.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 07:37PM

Not to worry greengooblygook.... what Ificouldhietokolob said

is true.... the two plates are rubbing into each other...

a very slow process.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 08:59PM

Because of our advanced aged, you just described me and my G/F in bed!! We are totally tectonic!

Date: May 04, 2015 09:00PM

Well as long as it gets results what does it matter?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 09:16PM

That is a damn good point! But what makes you think I was complaining?

Date: May 04, 2015 09:54PM

You're absolutely right..... I didn't know if you were or not Elderolddog.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 12:03AM

I wondered what old folks did in bed. Now I know!

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 09:52PM

Ha Ha

Date: May 05, 2015 12:18AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because of our advanced aged, you just described
> me and my G/F in bed!! We are totally tectonic!

So like my region, it's mostly a little bump now and then, hardly noticeable...but every once in a while, there's some serious shaking going on...?

Sounds great, dog :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 07:40PM

I live in a part of California that is less earthquake prone than parts of Washington, Oregon and Oklahoma. Not to mention Alaska. We've only had one little quake that we could barely feel in the last seventeen years. I feel kind of left out at times, but I've been through a couple of real shakers down south of Fresno, and it's not pleasant.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 07:49PM

I once watched a documentary which name I cannot now remember that mentioned a small California that seldom experiences earthquake activity. All sampling revealed an extremely high talc content in the area's underlying foundation. Essentially, the town and surrounding area is slipping past the sticking plates like powder on a baby's behind. Sweet.

Date: May 04, 2015 07:53PM

We have a huge granite slab under this part of the county. My town, Rocklin, once had seven quarries. Locals think the town was possibly named after the granite works, but there's no record of that.

Date: May 04, 2015 08:13PM

Were any of those quarries for the extraction of soapstone used for fireplaces?
http://www.tophomeowner.com/Soapstone-Stove-Rocklin-CA-90093970_Rocklin-CA.html

Date: May 04, 2015 09:10PM

That looks like a really nice place to live Don. Is it?

Date: May 04, 2015 09:25PM

Yes. The weather is mild, and the schools are top notch. Housing is expensive, of course, but I bought a little duplex in 1998 for a song. Very little crime. More missionaries than miscreants. Fifty some thousand folks. And a brand new brewery.

Tomorrow, I'm taking my family to Adelberto's for Cinco De Mayo lunch. It's a small chain Mexican restaurant that's family owned. I'll get some Corona beer for my son.

Date: May 04, 2015 09:57PM

Well Happy Cinco de Mayo Don.....

and I'm envious of your city. It looks really really perfect'

I'm sick of the traffic in La and Orange county and a place

like Rocklin looks so nice to me.

Date: May 04, 2015 08:05PM

However, if you're really in the mood to spook yourself, we are long overdue for a major event along the Cascadia fault zone of the American northwest Pacific coastline. An 8.0 or better event across its entire 500+ mile system has the potential to obliterate every town facing the Pacific Ocean from here in Washington State to, well, we're not sure exactly. But we do know from clear evidence that a Cascadia event was strong enough to completely destroy many fishing village in Japan about 300 years ago.

For some great bedtime reading you could start with http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1700_Cascadia_earthquake
or for more sleepy time fun you could watch https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=WQhIVayIH4mQoQSU5YFg&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DX5eloPKhzAM&ved=0CB8QtwIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNFkFmbDwNSZNjySLbsjdobL1XZL8A&sig2=_SVFE-oitnuuZ9jzij56tA

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 10:49PM

Thanks, driving to Seaside Oregon tomorrow. =)

They have Tsunami warning drills/loud speakers. A Tsunami would wreck my sushi and fried razor clams plan for dinner... Well, maybe I could grab a raw fish floating past in the debris... not the same without delicious ginger, wasabi and soy sauce... =(

Date: May 05, 2015 12:36AM

Thanks!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 08:18PM

What the Hell are you guys worried about? You're talking thousands or millions of years. Mormon Jesus is coming back in the next few decades, so no need to worry about the future.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 08:51PM

Some parts of the SF Bay Area are on landfill, My inlaws own a home in Hillsborough, which is on solid bedrock. In the 1989 Loma Prieta quake, they had no structural damage, and their only collateral damage was the breakage of a few drinking glasses. Just a few miles from their home, others sustained major damage to their homes.

My wife's uncle was nearing the end of the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge when the quake started but was close enough to the SF end to make it off before parts of the bridge collapsed.

My nanny was in central California near Fresno when the Loma Prieta quake happened. The quake was felt even near Fresno but no major damage occurred there. My nanny was pregnant at the time, and after a day of teaching first grade, she was resting on her sofa with her tiny terrier mix, watching the world series pregame show. The dog sensed the quake even before Al Michaels and the other commentators on ABC commented on it (there was probably a five-second or so TV delay). The dog jumped up and attempted to shield my nanny's pregnant belly (she was maybe five months along) with her own tiny body. It's amazing how instinctive animals are.

Date: May 05, 2015 12:23AM

I was living in San Francisco, near the Presidio. Had just left my software publisher's office in the Marina district to go home and watch my Giants in the world series.

My apartment, on solid bedrock, shook hard but no structural damage.
Our office in the Marina, on old sandy bay fill, collapsed completely.

If the world series hadn't been starting that day, we would probably all have still been in the office when it hit. Any wonder I love baseball? :)

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 09:42PM

Speaking of earthquakes, I just saw the trailer today online for San Andreas, the new earthquake movie, starring one of my favorite bad actors, Dwayne The Rock Johnson. It looks pretty exciting and full of CGI action.

Way back in 1974, I saw Earthquake, starring another bad actor, Charlton Heston, with Ava Gardner as his wife, daughter of Lorne Greene who was only 7 years older in real life. It had "Sensurround" in the theater which made the seats shake. I actually paid $2.99 to rent it from Amazon a few months ago. The special effects weren't as cool in those days.

I'm only saying this since I don't want to be in an earthquake and ever since we felt a minor one in Salt Lake City when I was in 8th grade, they've been talking about the big one in the Salt Lake Valley.

Date: May 05, 2015 12:04AM

My brother flecher has a bit part in that movie. He does some TV and film work as well as local entertainment. I'm gonna have to watch the movie to see if I can spot him. He plays a cop.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 11:19PM

I can remember being awakened during the night by a fairly violent shaking of my bed. I was sure that it was a monster, but was afraid to reach for the light.

I started screaming for my Daddy.

I still remember him saying reassuringly, "It's OK, Honey. Just an earthquake."

Oh. That's OK, then. Back to sleep.

Family legacy: Daddy's parents met because of the Great Quake in San Francisco!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 11:26PM

you can go to baja california and hitch a ride to alaska.

It might take a while to get there.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 11:30PM

Google the Edgar Casey Map.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.