Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 07:40AM

Does the LDS Church still tell people to keep a year's worth of food storage in their homes? I know people still do it, but the church has a habit of teaching things, dropping it from the curriculum, and not telling members that they dropped it. (see: oral sex prohibition)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 09:51AM

I think it runs in phases. when they like to scare people and a new LDS food program company show up. I have seen so much food storage thrown away, it is crazy.

Date: May 28, 2015 11:37AM

We bought a year's supply of food when my parents were scared by the church to do so. I had soup mix under my bed the entire time I was a teenager. When my parents moved years later, they realized that the food had spoiled. They decided to toss it all instead of moving wasted food.

We hardly ate any of it. We tried a bit of each after we purchased it, but the bulk of it expired before it was tossed.

I get the 72 hour kit, but LDS, Inc. should preach the 6-month emergency fund. Job loss and medical expenses are far more common than famine and pestilence. If you lose your house, your food storage is gone. Money in the bank can take care of you in case of flood or fire, but your food storage is abandoned and destroyed. If you have to evacuate your house, you can get a motel, but you leave your food supply behind.

You would see a lot fewer bankruptcies if Mormons kept 6-month of expenses in their savings accounts.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 09:57AM

It's actually not bad advice. We have a year or so worth. Unless the whole house caves in. But at least we'll survive in the event of some natural or man caused disaster.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 10:01AM

Last time I found it on LDS.org, they were recommending a 12 week supply, and it took some digging to even find that. Central Command no longer seems to emphasize food storage much, though local wards, at least here in Utah, still go through fits of ordering a truckload of canned wheat as a ward, and similar nonsense.

Date: May 28, 2015 11:33AM

This is what I suspected: they no longer teach it, but long-term members think it is critical. They are busy storing wheat under their beds while the GAs have forgotten to tell them to stop.

Meanwhile, converts and younger members who were not trained by their parents probably think that food storage is an Exmo lie.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 10:09AM

The one or two year food supply advice dovetailed nicely with Cold War hysteria, when Mormons and non-Mormons alike were building bomb shelters and otherwise trying to find a feeling of safety in the face of imminent nuclear war. The end of the Soviet Union, combined with the frustration of dealing with a ton of old wheat resulted in a change from "The end is nigh!" to "be prepared for the unexpected."

It makes perfect sense if you're not ascribing prophecy; not so much for a professional seer and revelator.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: May 28, 2015 10:12AM

To pack up their families and those with food storage will be allowed to trek and camp with the saints. Some ladies book about the gathering is catching on within some circles as she is revered as a prophetess in the Mormon faith.

Date: May 28, 2015 11:38AM

Just like JWs and 7th Dayers kept moving their apocalyptic dates, they will move theirs. We lived through 2012, and we will survive 2015.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.