Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 02:16AM

Byron Marchant was right but was wrong to get it right before the Prophet got it right.

In Mormondom, it is considered extreme bad form for a janitor to get inspiration from God before The Prophet but they are quite happy to believe that a 14 year old boy heard God speak before The Pope, Archbishops and all the other so-called "leaders" in Christendom.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 02:24PM

Of course not. Mormon authorities don't apologize.

I have wondered if Byron was the catalyst that finally got Kimball to pay attention and do something.

More about him here:

http://ordainwomen.org/raised-a-mormon-feminist/

He used to have a blog or a website. I think he may have posted here. He did at Postmormon.org until he was banned.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 04:07PM

I profoundly dislike Spencer Kimball. He was a nasty little man obsessed with sex, very possibly a homosexual who could not admit his own nature, and incapable of living in a happy marriage. With his campaigns against maturbation and oral sex, he harmed many people; as did his teaching that any temple-worthy man and woman can make a happy and successful marriage. His basic position was, no matter how dysfunctional my life is, everybody should do what I did.

But he was progressive on matters of race. He spent much of his life working among Native Americans and sought to promote them locally and in the church overall. He also championed the (misguided) Indian Adoption Program, which he thought helped those people. It was after his death that the church killed that effort and ousted George P. Lee--I think Benson was behind the reversal of Kimball's policy. According to the bios of Kimball and others, furthermore, he agitated for the removal of the priesthood ban starting in, I think, the 1960s. At first it was Harold Lee that blocked that change, then others. And didn't Kimball wait until Benson or Packer was out of the country to get the Q15 (Q14 in this case) to approve the lifting of the ban? Somebody can correct me if I got that wrong,

Anyway, by Mormon standards he was a racial egalitarian. I do not, however, think that that makes up for the horrible things he did regarding sex, women, and centralized control and correllation. He was a benighted little creature who wanted everyone to live as unhappily as he.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: June 10, 2015 04:34PM

Apologizing to that guy would be tantamount to admitting that a prophet or ten was wrong about revelation. The whole house of cards would collapse. That will never, ever happen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.