Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mav ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 07:52PM

I have seen this twice now on my High School alumni site in 2 days. What does that really mean? It makes me ill for the wasted time "serving". Others comparing where they "served". I think I will pass on the Salt Lake reunion this summer. Even if they had a beer table, I fear there would only be 2 of us. Same ole cliques. I guess I remember some of them as very fun. Beach Boys twice a summer at Lagoon, booze runs to Evanston WY and girls. Then they went on a mission and now have 6-8 children and forgot that part of their life. Maybe one cannot go home again.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2015 09:20PM by mav.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 08:25PM

Senior missionaries are a supply of free skilled or semi-skilled labor for the business side of the cult. They usually tend to do menial desk jobs in the nonprofit divisions, but a year or so ago there was a posting for petrochemical missionaries to assess the cult's oil assets. If the word "missionary" can be stretched that far, it doesn't really mean anything.

Date: June 23, 2015 08:30PM

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 08:38PM

Well, putting your house on the market or finding a property management company to rent it out. Completing the missionary application. Finally reading the BoM. That seems to be it.

Posted by: Anon 4 this one ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 10:46PM

LOL!!!!!!

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 09:43AM

Does the LDS church still use senior missionaries to run its for-profit bird shooting resorts?

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 08:32PM

A "Senior missionary" now days means that they are taking people who are recently retired or experts in fields (accounting, publishing, medical, etc...) and sending them out to the mission fields to perform these professional services, for free.

Before they had paid employees and contracts with employment agencies to complete certain tasks. Yet, why do that now that you have all of these willing and ready retirees not only working for free, but they end up paying all of their own costs!!! Absolutely brilliant!!!
https://www.lds.org/ensign/2011/09/senior-missionary-policies-changed?lang=eng&query=brochure+senior+missionary

Date: June 23, 2015 08:41PM

so the number one son does not spend half your retirement while you are gone (I know of a family this happened to). Who would give their kids access to this when they were only supposed to pay the bills while they were gone?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2015 08:42PM by mav.

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 08:43PM

Wow.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 09:13PM

Well not everyone can be a GA, but I get the impression that as far as mormon social status goes, details on FB about your upcoming senior mission are supposed to be a close second.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 09:55PM

A senior mission rings of shouting out that you HAVE ARRIVED - on the money level to be able to afford a senior mission,

on the spiritual level whereas the Laard has blessed you to be able to afford a senior mission because you are such a wonderful obedient church member,

and on the bulls$**** level that you have pulled off your con job like ole Joey, convincing others that you are worthy to serve the Laard.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 10:00PM

I wonder how many dutiful wives are nagging at their otherwise carefree, about to retire husbands, to get them grant them the boon of doing the above detailed bragging.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 10:24PM

My aunt and her husband just returned from Africa today from a senior mission. When I saw the photo on Facebook my first thought was, "At least they're not bothering s African folks anymore."

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 10:30PM

No thank you.

I'd rather have a senior moment than prepare for a senior mission.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 10:40PM

Are they for real!??? Is this really serious!?? Just how does one "prepare" for a senior mission!?? Do they sell their soul to the Devil!???

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 10:48PM

Tom Sawyer Lives !!!!

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 10:52PM

My aunt worked for a church corporation and when she retired her bishop and one of the salt lake über bosses was pressuring her to go on a senior mission. They wanted her to do the exact same job she was retiring from but as a missionary in a different state.
She eventually said that someone of authority said they couldn't send her to be a missionary in the exact same job but they would send her to work as a missionary is a different church owned company that does something very similar.
Basically I think a lawyer pointed out that they could be sued for basically retiring her and then charging her to do her old job.

Posted by: dead cat ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 11:14PM

Prepping includes renting or selling the house. Getting medical and dental needs fixed. Arranging for bills to be paid.

Browsing for the job you want to pay to do.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 11:27PM

on a senior mission. My ex-SIL and her husband are working in the LDS employment office. One of my ex's coworkers worked there for a while, too. More and more opportunities for anyone to "go" on a mission right at home and work for free for the lds church.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 10:36AM

The other day my mother made a comment about "what a blessing it was" that my grandparents were able to do a local mission since they couldn't otherwise afford it.

After picking my chin up off the floor, I responded that it was very nice that we were all still able to actually see them that whole time. (especially since my grandma passed during that time, so we would have missed the last year of her life)

Then, even though I was trying to be restrained, I told her about the sweet little lady I met when I rode the bus into Salt Lake that had been so excited that after some debate, they were going to "let her" go home for 3 days to see her granddaughter get married in the temple.

I resisted extra commentary, but I like to think my feelings about the whole thing were pretty clear...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2015 10:36AM by foggy.

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:36AM

Why would anyone agree to go on a senior mission? Why not hold out for a Mission President post -- or not go. As Mission President and wife, you get a nice place to live, household help, a car and driver, an expense account, I assume great medical insurance, and very likely a second anointing. Why settle for anything less? I wouldn't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.