Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 01:52PM

Disqualified one from holding the priesthood? Did the source of the "contamination" matter? (Female lineage for example?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:01PM

"We must not inter-marry with the Negro. Why? If I were to marry a Negro woman and have children by her, my children would oil be cursed as to the priesthood. Do I want my children cursed as to the priesthood? If there is one drop of Negro blood in my children, as I have read to you, they receive the curse. There isn’t any argument, therefore, as to inter-marriage with the Negro, is there?”

- Apostle Mark E. Peterson, “Race Problems – As They Effect the Church,” Address given at the Convention of Teachers of Religion on the College Level, delivered at BYU, August 27, 1954

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:03PM

Apparently African ancestry is measured in terms of drops of blood.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:06PM

"One drop of Negro blood" was the term I heard frequently.

In 1978, just before the "ban" was lifted, a Tongan member of our SoCal ward -- an Elder, temple-married, with an Aaronic Priesthood aged son -- found a former slave in his ancestry, on his mother's side, 8 generations back.

He "reported" it. He was then immediately stripped of his priesthood (as was his son), his temple marriage was declared null and void, and he was removed from his Elder's Quorum calling.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:09PM

Brother Kolob,

What happened to the Tongan member after the ban was lifted?

Date: July 06, 2015 02:13PM

commongentile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brother Kolob,
>
> What happened to the Tongan member after the ban
> was lifted?

It was about three months later that the "ban" was lifted. He and his family had remained active after their shameful demotion. When the "ban" was lifted, the bishop gleefully told him, "Isn't it wonderful? Now you can be re-ordained a deacon, work your way back up through the priesthood, and in a year or so be married in the temple officially!"

He wasn't so gleeful. He (rightly) didn't understand why he had been a worthy elder, then he wasn't because of the race of some long-ago ancestor, then he was again -- but he had to "work" his way back to where he was. It was ridiculous.

He and his family left the church. Never to return. I'm friends with him on Facebook. :) He speaks out about the church's racism.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:14PM

Brazil was a fracking mess; that was one reason the ban was lifted.

If it wasn't so sad (for the TBM's) it would be funny.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:18PM

My cousin's wife is Brazilian, & is of partial African ancestry from her mom who is at least 1/2. IDK how that family can be members of the cult.

Date: July 06, 2015 02:17PM

"Not a drop", eh? Then a number of spirit-discerning leaders were asleep at the wheel with me. My 23andMe results are in and I have 2% West African alleles. The Aaronic ph was conferred on me in 1971 and melchizedek a few weeks before the "revelation" came in.

Does "not a drop" also apply to Neanderthal ancestry? I have 3% of that.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 06:22PM

Funnily enough, with Neanderthals DNA it's the other way around, in terms of the races (i.e. Neanderthals lived on the eurasia so white and asian people have remains of their DNA, but not black people).

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 02:33PM

I have always wondered how ANY Mormon could hold the priesthood, since most (according to their patriarchal blessings) are of the tribes of Ephraim or Manasseh.

According to the Bible, Ephraim and Manasseh were sons of Joseph. Their mother was Asenath, the daughter of an Egyptian priest Potipherah, a pagan priest of On (Genesis 41:50). According to the Book of Abraham (1:22, 27), "all Egyptians" were denied the priesthood, presumably also all their descendants.

So, why wouldn't that include Ephraim and Manasseh's descendants?

Date: July 06, 2015 02:47PM

Hoist by their own petard sums it up.

Good thing they had a revelation about it before their tax-exempt status was revoked. Not to mention the technology that can detect just how many African drops which many of the good brethren undoubtedly have.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 09:40PM

According to Jewish tradition, in an apocryphal work aptly entitled "Joseph and Asenath" an angel purified the wife to be with magical honey.

Date: July 07, 2015 01:49AM

Cool. A kind of royal jelly that restores virginity, it would seem.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 04:07AM

I've wondered the same thing about King David. He was a descendant of Ruth who was a moabite. The whole point of the story is to say that she was a foreigner with mixed blood, in essence a Canaanite, which has a mixture of Hams descendants and therefore cursed. So according to BY Christ was unworthy to be running his own church? Strange.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 05:52AM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 05:29PM

and hold the priesthood prior to 1978. Not many, but some is still greater than zero.
http://www.connellodonovan.com/black_white_marriage.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 05:29PM by anybody.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 06:04PM

I mentioned to GBH at a stk conference ... in Seattle.... abt a roomie who discovered African Ancestry... and was allowed to remain PH. He is partly Mexican/Hispanic.

GBH told ME that he'd look into it...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2015 06:11PM

is mormonism still hiding the fact that we ALL have African ancestry ?

Date: July 06, 2015 06:27PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is mormonism still hiding the fact that we ALL
> have African ancestry ?

Denying, not hiding. Remember, in their little fantasy, white and delightsome Adam & Eve were magically created 6,000 years ago :)

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 06:38AM

One drop is all it took. "One drop"--you figure it out. No one else could.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.