Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gonesolong ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 03:09PM

Hello all! I cannot seem to find the resignation letter used to leave the church officially. If any of you have it please post.

I only recall that there was specific things that you had to state in the letter, particularly about baptism, etc., but that is all I can recall.

I had sent a regular letter to the Branch President and never got any response. About two years later he called me, having "come across" the old letter and asked me if I still wanted to leave. I said yes and he said something about me having to sign something and he would send it. Never did (no surprise there).

So, this time I am getting this done! Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 03:14PM

See "Leaving The Mormon Church: How To Get Out" at http://packham.n4m.org/leaving.htm

If the BP is dragging his feet, telephone Salt Lake (number is at the link above) and complain. They will get things moving.

Date: October 18, 2010 03:54PM

Thanks so much! I have printed out the letter and will be sending it immediately. Thanks for such a prompt response!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 04:24PM

Do not contact me except to send a confirmation that I am no longer on your records.
Name, birth date, address.
Something like that works fine. I have seen it done in the past and it's perfect.

I recommend: short and to the point. No need for long letters, if I was doing it again, I'd make mine even shorter.
WHY? Because they don't care about your reasons! :-)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 04:26PM

My view? Most people don't care and even if you tell them, the LDS folks just want to argue with you.
So, save yourself some grief, and make it simple and private.
Of course, there are no rules about that. It's just my opinion after reading hundreds of letters and what happened.

And, one more thing. Send the letter to the locals and to COB SLC. If you make any contact, do it with SLC, NOT the locals. That is what worked best for me.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 04:28PM

In the last couple of months people have been able to get this done in EMail dodgegw@ldschurch.org

You can also give that a shot :)

Posted by: good luck ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 04:38PM

you ran in to the same problem I did before I found out about sending the letter to SLC . The 1st one I send was just to the BP found out 5 year later he never did the paperwork. Sending it to SLC is the best thing to do

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 04:47PM

They will still send it on to the locals but at least that way they know COB has a record of it and most of the time they will not just round file it. Pecking order is everything in LDSInc.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 10:27PM

Congrats on your determination to do this. Many here will help you. Keep us informed of how things went.

Date: October 19, 2010 11:09AM

Thanks honestone, I have the letter ready, no stamps. It'll go by Wed. though.

I just printed out the long letter, adding a sentence to please take note of my previous request to be placed on the Do Not Contact list. (they have never contacted me, but I figure this will get my name back into the little groups that try to figure out how to get you back). I have it on my calendar to check back if I don't get confirmation.

I left just before the temple ceremony at the one-year mark. No one would tell me what exactly I was going to be promising during this and I went on the net to see. That's when I found out the truth.

I remember being in a RS meeting and the topic was how to get non-active members to come to church and how to entice the non-member spouses to come. Oh my gosh. Our community is REALLY small. One branch, maybe 50 seats. Anyway, my DH was a non-member and so his name went on the list. So they decided they were going to just "show up" and invite him to one of their houses for a bbq or some such thing.

I was quite surprised I have to say, that one of the life-long gals stood up and said "no way. If you approach him like that, he's going to know you aren't sincere. You wouldn't otherwise be inviting him except for trying to convert him and he'll know that right away". I was floored. I said I agreed with her. My DH would never fall for it. Just a little insight there. Man they were conniving people.

I left almost 7 years ago. I don't want my name on their "rolls", and for me it's one of those nagging little "leftovers" from the mistake I made of joining.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.