Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 06:45AM

So, if JS just needed a tigers eye he borrowed from the neighbors to write the Book of Mormon, what is the point of the plates? Here we have Golden Plates that Nephite prophets took great pains to forge, write and preserve, just so Joe can sit on the stairs and look at a rock in his hat? Why didn't Moroni just give JS a hat and rock? How do you "translate" something that you don't even look at it?

It's like searching all over town for an expensive old book, spending good money to buy, and then going home, sticking it on your bookshelf while you look up everything you need online. What's the point of the book?

The Nephites went to a lot of trouble to get JS plates he never even bothered with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2015 06:47AM by axeldc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Unbelievable ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 07:08AM

+1,000

I think more craziness will come forth from them because it takes 10 lies to cover-up one lie.

Date: August 05, 2015 07:52AM

https://wwenos.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/translating_the_plates.jpg

This is how TBMs think JS translated the plates, because the Ensign and several other sources told them that.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 02:53PM

Little do people know that it was actually more like this: he read words on a rock!! Hmmmph!

http://mormonomore.tumblr.com/post/126026101340/josephs-myth-the-other-angle-that-the-original

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 08:03AM

A house of cards.....

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 08:31AM

So, if this admission about peep stones causes the church trouble, what will be their method to put the toothpaste back in the tube? It seems that they are forever trying to do as someone suggests above--tell 10 lies to cover up one. How would they do this? Would they just say, "Hey, we were kidding. Of course there was no stone. That was just a test of your faith." This is weird stuff. They must think that they have thought this through and done an adequate evaluation of the potential outcomes. I doubt that they have adequately thought it through, though. Their inabilities to think and plan well are pretty well-documented.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 12:34PM

+1

Posted by: the investigator. ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 08:57AM

It's a bit like your WiFi transmitter, you don't need to be wired to it, just in range :)

Posted by: Slcnomo ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 09:01AM

Told my coworker TBM to look at the Tribune article. I told her it was about the stonein and the Hat used 4 the translation of the Book of Mormon. She looked extremely confused. You never heard that the bom was translated with a stone and a hat. She told me those are just anti Mormon lies. I said it was released by the brothern. She said you think you know everything don't you. I just rolled my eyes and said nevermind.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 12:31PM

I asked a Mormon about the need for the plates.
The reply I got was that the BoM was an inspired translation. Not a direct one. One that is given to a faith based understanding.

(eyeroll)

Date: August 05, 2015 10:25PM

Moroni and his predecessors went to a lot of trouble to forge plates out of gold, inscribe them and preserve them for centuries, just so Joe Smith could put them on the shelf and peep into his hat.

Why not just use the same method he used for the D&C and the Book of Moses? Why bother with plates that you aren't going to touch?

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 05, 2015 11:36PM

As I posted on another thread, the shite is going to hit the fan come October's Ensign when the article and photos concerning the seer stone are due to move into the homes of the TBM's.

Should prove interesting. I'm sure we will all hear lots of "Well, God's ways are mysterious."

Sighhhhh..........

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 01:06AM

If the gold plates were real then they would be in a museum next to the seer stone that Joseph Smith used to translate them. The fact that Joseph Smith continued to hide the plates after the translation process was finished proves to me that it was a fraud. After the translation was published then the plates served no purpose and didn't need to be hid anymore. In fact God would want people to see the plates to verify the Book of Mormon story.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 01:17AM

"Why didn't Moroni just give JS a hat and rock? How do you "translate" something that you don't even look at it?" - Careful! This is very close to the question I asked the bishie that got me kicked out of the cult. NO KIDDING!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 01:20AM

Why didn't MORON-I just translate the non-existent plates? Why the fake language etc.?
So stupid....everything in the cult is seriously stupid and evil.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 01:16PM

I think Joe accidentally made up the gold plate story. He was surprised that people believed it. IMO, he went with it for two reasons. 1. Idiots believed him. 2. To keep his peepstone butt out of jail. He'd already been told by the law to knock it off.

The end result was a little bit of gold plate and little bit of rock in hat. Whatever the current audience was willing to believe.

Then along came his successors. They went with the story they thought sounded the most faith promoting. The rock in a hat system sounded stupid. They conspired to keep that story under lock and key.

Then along came some guy named Tom who called them out on their BS. They were able to stall for a bit, but it was a close call and they decided they'd better come clean before they end up losing the goose that lays the golden egg.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 02:05PM

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 02:24PM

Speaking of peep stones and golden plates, remember the story of Joe running 3 miles through the woods carrying the (very heavy) plates to escape bad guys running after him? I'm sure the latest explanation will be was the Joe was actually carrying the peepstone, not the plates and that's why he could outrun them.

Date: August 06, 2015 02:25PM

You can buy a tigers eye for $10 on eBay. They are not precious stones.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 06, 2015 02:59PM

But axle, those aren't *magic* ones!
Magic ones cost at least $29!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.