Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 11:51AM

To the rescue!!!

https://www.mormonchannel.org/watch/series/mormon-messages-for-youth/reach-out-with-love?cid=HP_WE_8-5-2015_dPTH_fMLIB_xLIDyL2-2_

Leadership council knows who is naughty and inactive and who is nice and active. They love making you the topic of conversation and trying to figure out just how wounded you are. And what kind of special spiritual bandaid you need on your super special spiritual boo boos.

It's nice to know that in order to rescue people from themselves, Heavenly Father will reach all the way back to movies from the early 90's.

Perhaps one day the church will find a way to make a ghostbusters parody in order to show just how awesome and hilarious the top 15 are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 12:11PM

I fully expect my family to push their religion on me in a weak moment - such as being in the hospital. For that reason I have my medical POA with me at all times.

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 03:14PM

******** RESTRAINING ORDER*******

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 12:25PM

This video made me very sad. I honestly loved the church and felt reactivation work was important. It's still so depressing to think I bought into that crap.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur (nli) ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 12:56PM

They may try to resist it, but Jehovah CLEARLY won't let a day go by until Guillermo and Josh hook up, get gay married in the gay temple and do the horizontal tour de France on their gay wedding night.

I can feel the sexual tension between those two, and apparently the bishop felt it too. I'm saving this video on my laptop for my next lonely night.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just projecting.

Date: August 08, 2015 12:58PM

It would make a sweet love story :)

Posted by: En Sabah Nur (nli) ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 02:11PM

His name is Steve, NOT Josh.

I guess I WAS projecting.

Posted by: brothernotofjared ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 03:42AM

Nope, there's some gay luv vibes there, no doubt about it! I think the Bishop was a little bit tempted too...

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 01:46PM

What the Hellâ„¢ was that!?

And after all that weird crap, the guy finally says "Sure", but the tone of his voice is like: "Sure. I'll go to fracking church with you, but I've already seen this video, and I know how fracking horrible and boring it'll be..."

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 01:59PM

Steve is "wounded" per the video.

Steve is the damaged victim of a broken home.

Steve needs "rescuing."

The notion that Steve just wants to be left alone is inconceivable to them. As is the notion that Steve might have figured out the con and wants no part of it.

Date: August 08, 2015 02:49PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2015 02:50PM by left4good.

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 02:39PM

I ran into an old neighbor last week. I clearly was not wearing garments and I am assuming he has heard of my disassociation with THE church. He put his arm around me and told me how much he loved me - several times. It was like WTF. Nobody does that out side of LDS circles who are trying to reassure those of us who have left that we are still loved. So weird. How do I respond to this next time?

Date: August 08, 2015 02:50PM

antilehinephi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I ran into an old neighbor last week. I clearly
> was not wearing garments and I am assuming he has
> heard of my disassociation with THE church. He put
> his arm around me and told me how much he loved me
> - several times. It was like WTF. Nobody does that
> out side of LDS circles who are trying to reassure
> those of us who have left that we are still loved.
> So weird. How do I respond to this next time?

I would respond by saying "That's nice to hear, old neighbor, but I wonder what makes you say that right now. You've never said it before."

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 03:01PM

You could say, "Stop touching me! I am attracted to women, not men!"

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 01:26PM

THAT is absolutely true! I've never known anyone to do that outside of LDS circles. It's also inappropriate.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 02:59PM

Oops. Posted in wrong spot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2015 03:01PM by Heretic 2.

Date: August 08, 2015 03:15PM

I wish I would have said "You are creeping me out right now".

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 03:15AM

Several Mormons have done the same thing to me--put their arm around me and said they loved me. I responded by asking, "Why?"

My therapist's answer for Mormons who say, "We miss seeing you..." is,

"Why? What exactly do you miss?"

Really, those people never called me to chat, never went with me to lunch or for ice cream, never invited me into their homes, never stopped me in the foyer to talk to me (no talking in the halls), and for all those 7 years, never even looked at me.

I also like the answer, "Why are you saying this to me NOW?"

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 03:17PM

Bad acting at its finest.

The moral of the story? Pretend to be pretend friends FIRST, THEN drag them to church (where he will hear about forever families while his family is divorced...)

The mom and daughter were having such FUN together!!!

That bishop was creepy.

Posted by: Mitch McDeere ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 08:05PM

Funny thing, but many of the people in these "councils" have self-admitted unfulfilling lives, crazy extended families, etc.

What could they really do for me,other perhaps a bit of free volunteer labor?

The accomplishments, lifestyles and general well being of most post-Mormons I know seem much superior to the Active LDS.

Date: August 09, 2015 09:54AM

Mitch McDeere Wrote:
> Funny thing, but many of the people in these
> "councils" have self-admitted unfulfilling lives,
> crazy extended families, etc.
>
> What could they really do for me,other perhaps a
> bit of free volunteer labor?
>
> The accomplishments, lifestyles and general well
> being of most post-Mormons I know seem much
> superior to the Active LDS.

The church is one place that you can be looked up to and considered an expert with no qualifications.

Date: August 09, 2015 09:58AM

As a Primary president I was instructed by the Stake to make a call or send a note when a child missed a meeting. This was in an uber stake in Davis Cty Ut. Emphasis was placed on attendance percentages. I did not send cards or visit, but I do remember worrying about percentages. I wish I could go back in time and not have spent so much time on church.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 02:22AM

I am laughing at the sound of being a "project". Wish it was for real and they would come around and offer me the works....rid me of wrinkles, take me shopping for those new clothes I wouldn't mind having, gift me a spa day, etc. etc. I could take being this kind of project.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 02:54AM

That video was kinda triggering. Oh how I hated singing hymns in church. Fucking Mormons, think they're so damn important and they HAVE to get you to go -- when the kicker is that they don't ACTUALLY care about you. The leadership just wants your money.

You know what, Mormons? I want no part in your ridiculous fantasies. I do NOT want you to try to "reactivate me." So please, PLEASE, fuck off.

Date: August 09, 2015 05:12AM

oneinbillions Wrote:
> Mormons, think they're so damn important and they HAVE to get you to go -- when the kicker is that they don't
> ACTUALLY care about you. The leadership just wants
> your money.
>

^^^I agree!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 03:27AM

How ironic that MORmONS want to rip off the theme of a Bill Murray movie to try to promote their stupid MORmON church.....

"The Razor's Edge" Bill Murry version was instrumental in helping move me OUT of the stupid MORmON church. I loved that movie. Saw it several times while it was playing in the theater. My TBM room mate hated it. He complained about most of it but keyed in on the part where Murray ends up sitting on top of a snow covered Mountain peak and nearly freezing in the attempt to get back in touch with his desire to be himself after experiencing so much war time emotional trauma. My room mate said: "I was really disappointed, I was expecting him to discover some great eternal truth up there that would change his life, and instead all he did was just walk off of that mountain, and they never did tell us any kind of real message " -a statement by a person who obviously has no clue what its like to be crippled by emotional pain.

with out thinking about it, I responded: "what did you think should / would happen to him ? What kind of message would he get ? God and Jesus would appear to him like in the first vision? " = Shades of someone on the verge of exiting the MORmON cult !!!!!!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 05:15AM

This is so creepy!!!

Date: August 09, 2015 05:24AM

It is so ironic that you would post this. I resigned from the cult in March, when my family and I were living in an apartment while we renovated our house. No one called or showed the slightest interest while we were gone. Now that we're home we've had eight or more people from the stake and ward call, show up or drop off treats. The worst part is they are targeting me and I left, while my DH is still on their records and no one has shown any concern for him. The funny thing is they think they're so slick. I guess they forget I know how PEC meetings and reactivation efforts work and see through their ploys. The whole thing is sickening to me.

Posted by: xxxMooo ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 07:14AM

"Tasked with inviting his neighbor and peer to church" -- sounds like a multi level marketing sales training video.

I imagine a parody going like this ...

"Guillermo, how's Steve Tanner doing?"

"Umm .. for the last 3 years since they moved in I've seen them about once ... I mean, church is really boring, you know, with all these pointless meetings, like this one."

(Bishop just stares blankly ...)

"I see. Well, you have a point there, Guillermo."

:D

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 07:44AM

I'm starting to view life as a strange, crazy ride like a merry-go-round that just doesn't stop.

It starts out innocent looking enough. And then we grow, get older, maybe wiser, and realize we aren't little children anymore.

Then the ride becomes anything but ordinary, as it twists and turns us along life's narrow ways. We may as well enjoy the ride, because there isn't any other. But along the way it went from the land of Green Fields to Alice Through the Looking Glass.

And toward the middle or the end of the ride we're no longer Alice viewing the world, but either the Mad Hatter or the Queen of Hearts. Or the occasional Cheshire Cat. It takes so much energy just to stay on the ride, that we lost ourselves in the process, as we lost our minds to the never ending details of who, where, when, how, and why.

Religion has made up a significant part of our past, and still our present. As we grapple to make sense of the madness of a cult church. There isn't any! It was only *nice* on the surface.

I don't mean we've literally "lost our marbles," although some may take me literally. It just seems that the road life takes us along gets wackier the longer we live, because so much of it doesn't make sense, including the religion we were born into, or may have adopted along the way, only to loose once we were given the inner eyes to see with.

So we question ourselves. We question the church. We question *well* meaning others. We question everything. And we were the fortunate ones to have the wherewithal to stand down and get off of the circus act of Moism.

Life does make more sense on the outside of the church. But it still seems like a crazy race to the bottom in a crazy world we call home.

If there is a life ever after, I do hope and pray it is somewhere paradisical, and not a carbon copy of this.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 10:40AM

I would only allow her to come to see me as I'd known her for years. She is the ONLY one in the ward who had my unlisted phone number. We'd usually go to lunch for VTing. I had started walking a lot at the time and I walked a lot at night, too. The bishop happened to walk by me one night while I was walking.

My VT's husband came home the next Sunday and told her that the bishop had seen me out walking and maybe I was coming out of my hibernation. Not liked I hibernated. I just didn't go to church and I was working 2 jobs at home. And I'm very private. People didn't know my husband had left for probably 2 years because he was here a lot, but not living here. And help? I had lots of offers for help over the years, none of which materialized. I even mowed my lawn with a broken foot in one of those boots.

My VT told her husband, "Why do you think she walks at night? So you guys won't talk about her in bishopric meeting. Leave her alone."

I noticed brandywine said that she is a project, but her DH who hasn't resigned isn't. And we are told that resigning will stop all this. Nope. My neighbors I think for the most part have decided I don't plan on being saved, but sometimes a new person moves in and decides it is time to love bomb me again. My TBM daughter actually usually puts a stop to it now once she finds out about it.

But if you aren't active mormon, you are ALWAYS a project. You just might be on the back burner for a while.

And that video was vomit worthy. I didn't watch the whole thing. It just makes me happy I'm out of that religion. I could never bring myself to do this type of thing no matter how many times I was told to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 10:43AM by cl2.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 11:19AM

that Mormons won't listen. Telling them not to come to a person's house is like talking to the wind. Someone can say it every time they show up for 20 or thirty years and they don't care. They're like mindless cockroaches with no sense of boundaries or decency.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 12:25PM

cockroaches...heh.

;o)

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 11:52AM

CL2 - That has always infuriated me as well. Offers of help for my parent, and then no follow thru.

The predictable pattern was X offers Y to help the parent. If Y doesn't help, it's up to ME to make Y follow through on X's offer. If I didn't get Y to do it, X blamed me.

Crazy.

Date: August 09, 2015 12:01PM

I keep more to myself after leaving the Morg. The "hibernating" is to avoid church members because most of them do not get it.
And yay for your VT. She has your back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 12:01PM by antilehinephi.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.