Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 01:04PM

Not having a temple recommend meant he could not confirm someone in his family. But apparently this doesn't apply to baptizing someone. A temple recommend isn't required for baptizing?

I don't understand the difference between these 'ordinances' as they both need the priesthood authority according to lds doctrine.

Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 01:30PM

Any 16 year old priest can baptize.

The bishop was simply being punitive. No matter how tainted your soul, if you have been ordained to an office, you can function in that office. They had to come up with that rule so as not to have to redo ordinances done by a man later found not to have been worthy.

They were simply sticking it to the OP, letting him know that ghawd told them he wasn't worthy. Heck, all us RMs who haven't resigned could make extra money by baptizing people into the church and confirming them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 01:31PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 02:27PM

With the exceptions of dedicating a grave and blessing a baby outside of a church meeting, all church ordinances are under the direction of and with the permission of the bishop.

He can put any arbitrary rules he decides.

(The handbook says a baby may be blessed at anytime, anywhere, if the parents feel the baby's health is failing and needs a blessing without consulting a bishop)

Posted by: sportsguy ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 03:14PM

When it happened to me in 2012, he said it was from the "Handbook", and something that was now being reinforced. I was still "in" at the time enough that I didn't argue, but I HATED being humiliated like that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.