Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ElderCarrion ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 02:16PM

My opinion:

That never has there been found artifacts in or near the Hill Cumorah to substantiate the visions early church leaders claimed to have been shown.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Room+within+the+Hill+Cumorah%2C+sword+of+Laban%2C+scrolls%2C+plates%2C+large+table

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bfp ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 02:22PM

Good point...you are very correct in your observation.

Hey do you mind if I ask you a question? Why "Carrion" for your moniker? I was curious is all.

(i.e. Carrion: the decaying flesh of dead animals)

Date: August 17, 2015 02:27PM

bfp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good point...you are very correct in your
> observation.
>
> Hey do you mind if I ask you a question? Why
> "Carrion" for your moniker? I was curious is all.
>
>
> (i.e. Carrion: the decaying flesh of dead
> animals)

Carrion means road kill in some cultures. I agree with most sides in fights, and so, am slaughtered pretty often in arguments, at the water coolers and in most McDonald's restaurants if I open my mouth to agree or disagree.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 02:36PM

The Kinderhook Plates were engraved by a descendant of Ham through the loins of Pharaoh, who without the Priesthood wasn't eligible to write a holy book.

Date: August 17, 2015 02:42PM

Historischer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Kinderhook Plates were engraved by a
> descendant of Ham through the loins of Pharaoh,
> who without the Priesthood wasn't eligible to
> write a holy book.

Good point. How did you choose your name?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 02:56PM

I'm quite interested in history, including Mormon history.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 02:58PM

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 04:46PM

"...and then the Angel took the plates back so, no you can't see them."

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 05:21PM

“'This earth was organized or formed out of other planets which were broke up and remodeled and made into the one on which we live.'"

https://www.lds.org/manual/old-testament-seminary-teacher-manual/introduction-to-the-book-of-genesis/lesson-8-moses-2-genesis-1-abraham-4?lang=eng

This is no doubt where the idea that fossils (like dinosaur remains) came from other planets--so the earth really IS just 6,000 years old!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 05:27PM

No reproductive organs unless you make it to the celestial kingdom. If you do make it and you are a servant and not married then you can have reproductive organs but you can't act with them.

Joseph Fielding Smith Doctrines of Salvations.

And THAT is Doctrine.

Because the book title is "Doctrines" of Salvation.

And because JFS said so.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 05:29PM

"These are the gold plates underneath this tablecloth. No, you can't look at them, because if you do, god will kill you immediately. But they're the plates. Trust me."

-- Joe Smith

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 05:32PM

You have to know the secret handshakes and passwords to get into heaven! (That's what temples are for.)

"'Your endowment is, to receive all those ordinances in the House of the Lord, which are necessary for you, after you have departed this life, to enable you to walk back to the presence of the Father, passing the angels who stand as sentinels, being able to give them the key words, the signs and tokens, pertaining to the holy Priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation in spite of earth and hell.' (Discourses of Brigham Young, comp. John A. Widtsoe [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1971], page 416.)"

https://www.lds.org/manual/preparing-to-enter-the-holy-temple/preparing-to-enter-the-holy-temple?lang=eng

Wow ... really?

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 06:09PM

I find it hilarious that youcan't get to heaven unless you pay your tithing and go to the temple. I asked my sister in law once; since I've been to the temple and I know all the tokens and secret handshakes to get to heaven, why can't I just walk through the gate when I get there? She said there will be angels at the gate to stop me. Interesting, so the same fuedal system of borders and border guards that mankind has developed here is what they use in heaven to make sure only mormons get to heaven. I would think that heaven would have a better system than that. What are they going to do, shoot me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2015 06:10PM by foundoubt.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 07:41PM

Right. God knows everything about you except whether you copied some handshakes off youtube.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 05:42PM

Gordon Hinckley, supposed to be a prophet of God, hired a Jewish PR consulting firm

hiring people who did not accept the first coming of the messiah to help prepare for the second coming of the messiah...... instead of consulting with the messiah himself

that is the MORmON way !!!!!!! and Hinckley is a real MORmON !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kkema-oqtM

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 05:42PM

The deceased (and wildly popular) BYU Education Week speaker, Truman G. Madsen (1926-2009), used to teach sanctioned LDS, CES approved doctrine that Joseph Smith was correct when he said the City of Enoch (which was translated and taken into heaven) was the geographical land that is now the entire GULF OF MEXICO. And, it will eventually descend back to earth from where ever it is hidden at the propitious moment and take its rightful place from where it originated. We will then have records to all that has taken place with the people from the glorious City.

I wonder if JS pulled that one out of his hat too? Madsen was known for putting a positive, spiritual spin on anything and everything to do with Joe Junior and the church.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2015 05:46PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 07:50PM

"...the City of Enoch (which was translated and taken into heaven) was the geographical land that is now the entire GULF OF MEXICO. And, it will eventually descend back to earth..."

Wasn't that part of the last 'Avengers' movie?

The church is true!!

Posted by: Passing through ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 05:55PM

"Reformed Egyptian". Even as a TBM I thought that was an insipid name for an ancient script... I just felt horribly guilty for feeling that way about it. I thought it must have been Smith's own uneducated term for some other alphabet that scholars were actually familiar with. That it looked somewhat like heiroglyphics but not quite the same, and reformed Egyptian was just how he decided to describe it.

I was disgusted with Smith, the cult and myself when I realized that no, Smith expected people to believe that "reformed Egyptian" was what the Nephites called their own language and that in ancient days there was this well understood difference between regular Egyptian and the reformed variety.

Oh good gracious. It sounds like something out of the penny dreadfuls of the nineteenth century, or a phrase you'd find on a bottle of snake oil. This is NEW AND IMPROVED MIRACALIOSAMIN, now with the power of REFORMED EGYPTOPHEROMANTIC PROPERTIES.

It's not just woo woo, as James Randi calls it, it's perfectly silly woo woo at that. I wonder what PT Barnum thought of Moism considering he felt the world was already full of suckers. I just can't believe how many people, including myself, didn't just run the other way when they got to "reformed Egyptian".

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 06:26PM

That drinking coffee is a huge Mormon sin

I regularly see reports on the news, and in health magazines how coffee is good for this and that and the other. The latest one was that we should be drinking 3 cups a day. I'm a one, two max cup guy.

I'm embarrassed even telling others that this is a Mormon sin. It is crazy to others

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 06:52PM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 07:11PM

The rather huge erection easily seen on the Egyptian papyrus ole Joe supposedly translated that HE MISSED, didn't erase or change!

Just too funny. (the reason? could it have been he was just used to being around erections? You know, just speculating and all)

Terrific topic for a thread by the way!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2015 07:14PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: moronie-balonie ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 07:17PM

Cain = bigfoot

(always made me laugh inwardly. He probably hangs out with the 3 Nephites. They have poker night on Wednesdays.)

Posted by: sampsonAtard ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 08:21PM

It could be the fact that covenant-bozos agree in their wild "Temple Surprise" to forever wear the Freemasonical Square & Compass over their tits twenty four seven and 52.177 weeks a year.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.